Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Five MMA Fighters Who Went Out on Top

Print  
Posted By Message

SmileR

Buy the ticket, take the ride

SmileR Avatar

Career:1,284-761
Chips:
The temptation to keep fighting until you're nothing more than a broken-down shell of your former self can be an overpowering one. Somehow, these men managed to resist it...

Link

I was born to lead, not to read!!!!

Post #1   11/3/09 3:16:15PM   

CwB

MMA Sensei

CwB Avatar

Career:221-151
Chips:
Cung Le doesnt count, in my opinion.

Bas was the first to come to mind when i read this topic.

But i respect the fighters more if they continue to fight until they have lost about 2 or 3 fights they wouldnt have lost in prime.
EX: Chuck, Mirko, Hughes (if they retired after 1 more loss or so)

When fighters retire while at the peak it leaves way to many questions about the new champ/Division

I kinda wish some of these legends that retire at the peak would follow the boxing route. Retire once you have dominated every and all competition, then wait for a true contender to arise and fight those contenders until you lose, and then truly retire.

EX: Anderson Silva says he will retire after his contract is fulfilled (which will be soon). Instead of truly retiring, take a break, Box Roy, train others, and then once a true contender arises, come back and either win (and repeat fake retirement until another contender arises) or Lose and pass the Torch to the next gen champ.

Post #2   11/3/09 5:17:33PM   

grappler0000

MODular Approach

grappler0000 Avatar

Career:2,940-1,617
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
I couldn't help but laugh at one of the comments:

We may soon add Rampage to this list, especially if he can score a lot of roles where he mean mugs and says "titties" for 90 minutes.

Post #3   11/3/09 5:27:36PM   

RMFG_187

Banned

RMFG_187 Avatar

Career:349-223
Chips:
Genki was "Out on Top"???

Last fight i remember he got tooled by Kid....

I mean I like the guy, Love his pre fight and post fight antics, but he was never on top.

Post #4   11/3/09 5:54:48PM   

grappler0000

MODular Approach

grappler0000 Avatar

Career:2,940-1,617
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by RMFG_187

Genki was "Out on Top"???

Last fight i remember he got tooled by Kid....

I mean I like the guy, Love his pre fight and post fight antics, but he was never on top.

On top of his career, yes...on top of the sport, no. As the article points out, he had won 8 of his last 9 fights. Not bad in my book.

Post #5   11/3/09 6:19:37PM   

hotrodttt

Ridin the MMA WW since 02 !

hotrodttt Avatar

Career:2,664-1,429
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
Rickson much? C'mon 400-0 in combat sports is pretty imprssive lol.

Edit_ Just read the link and Rickson was already mentioned lol

Last edited 11/3/09 8:37PM server time by hotrodttt
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #6   11/3/09 7:08:09PM   

Aether

Heavyweight Champ

Aether Avatar

Career:946-505
Chips:
heh, this could also be called a list of people who retired before facing any top level competition.

Bas is the only one who actually fought and beat guys who were considered top level fighters at the time that he fought them before he retired.

Rickson may be a brilliant BJJ competitor, but his MMA pedigree is not as impressive as he thinks it is. Even his own father called him out on his trash talk lol. Taking 13 minutes to choke out Funaki doesn't qualify you to criticize the best fighters in the world.

Cung is a very good fighter, but he really only faced Frank, who engaged him in a kickboxing match instead of using his wrestling. I don't think Cung would do all that well against the top MWs in the UFC, a lot of these guys have the wrestling to put him on his back where he wouldn't be very dangerous.

Genki was a good fighter, but again he was a B level fighter. I think if you're going to say "went out on top" it really means that they went out while they were A-level fighters. Bas is the only one who fits this bill IMO. He actually retired as a UFC champion having beaten guys considered to be A-level fighters at the time.

Post #7   11/3/09 9:35:02PM   

IriShame

In Full Mount

IriShame Avatar

Career:558-331
Chips:

Posted by Aether

Cung is a very good fighter, but he really only faced Frank, who engaged him in a kickboxing match instead of using his wrestling. I don't think Cung would do all that well against the top MWs in the UFC, a lot of these guys have the wrestling to put him on his back where he wouldn't be very dangerous.

Yeah, if you think Cung Le is getting by Nate Marquardt, you're high. He's got great stand up I'll give him that but MMA is more than that.

Post #8   11/3/09 11:42:40PM   

Doneskiis

MMA Regular

Doneskiis Avatar

Career:245-173
Chips:
forget fedor, randy, chuck, and royce?miller owns them all? is this guy on crack or is he on crack. who has miller fought that would put him in front of these guys.

Post #9   11/4/09 5:24:51AM