Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Most exciting GNP(fights/Fighters)

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

NatedawgThaM

MMA Sensei

NatedawgThaM Avatar

Career:676-444
Chips:
I'm getting all pumped because I saw that thread talking about what event got you into the UFC and I started thinking my earlier favorite fighters like Tito Ortiz and am now pumped he's coming back. But now Im thinking about like the greatest most exciting GNP fighters or fights were somebody just took them down & messed em' up! Like you never hear when people talk about their most favorite exciting fight or when their talking about their favorite fighters fighting, them seeing their guy take the guy down. usually everybody wants to see an exciting stand up & bang war or if its on the ground, alot of great submission work. But what about have you ever been pumped and wanted to see the guy take the other one down & just beat him down rather then prefer a slugfest? Like is their any guy that you get pumped when he gets the takedown?

Guys like Tito, GSP, and even dare I say it the Hammer House crew Kevin Randleman & Mark Coleman because you can't tell me the 1st few minutes of there fights aren't crazy as hell! Like before they gas in a few minutes haha when Coleman exploded on Shogun that was pretty exciting with all the transitions & slams. And Kevins GNP on Bas was great atleast for the first 5-10 minutes. But after they gas they get slow but it happens to them all, they all have boring fights too where they cant seem to get anything devastating going, like GSP's last 2 fights were only exciting because the other guys potential. Like BJ couild make a war with any wrestler and would give GSP a hard time when trying to take him down but he didnt and as it went on it got unexciting because you dont expect BJ Penn to show up late in a fight so I assumed the rest of the fight would be that way & it was. And the 1st 2 rounds were great because you thought Alves was dangerous & could catch him, but after that, GSP didnt do nothing. And Ortiz couldn't get anything going with Cote. They all have them but they all can be exciting too. I love it when they all explode & get the takedown & deliever some brutal GNP.

Some great performances are obviously Ortiz on Shamrock all 3 times haha. Where he'd explode and just demolish him. Randleman-Bas as stated, and the old Coleman fights were bloody GNP brawls haha. And of course the most brutal GNP I HAVE EVER SEEN! Like the worst beating, I'd call rape was given. When GSP RAPED HUGHES in the 3rd fight. Took his manhood. That was absolutely brutal too watch, it was like a horror movie how bad GSP smashed Hughes. All Cain Velasquez on Chieck Kongo. That was an exciting fight! Kongo kept rocking him & Cain just kept slamming him and was just relentless & active.

Post #1   11/3/09 1:20:06AM   

Aaronno9

King in the North

Aaronno9 Avatar

Career:780-456
Camp: MMA Worldwide
Chips:
Fedors got some relentless GnP. Id say Brock Lesnar to. It doesnt often look like hes putting alot of effort into his GnP, but then you see his opponents face after and it tells a differant story. Mirs face was swollen to twice its normal size after the last fight. Thiago Silva aswell. Doesnt use it that often but the dude looks like hes beating on somebody who just spat on him mum or something when he gets the oppertunity.

Post #2   11/3/09 1:37:59AM   

Jimbo

Standup Guy

Jimbo Avatar

Career:702-408
Camp: The Vuttholios
Chips:
not consistently, but Kongo has some brutal GnP.

totally wrecked Al Turk.

Post #3   11/3/09 1:54:31AM   

Doneskiis

MMA Regular

Doneskiis Avatar

Career:245-173
Chips:
id say fedor

Post #4   11/3/09 2:15:36AM   

Jackelope

Go ahead, MOD my day

Jackelope Avatar

Career:864-486
Chips:
Evan Tanner!

Matt Hughes had some killer GnP, too.

Last edited 11/3/09 8:24AM server time by Jackelope
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #5   11/3/09 8:23:49AM   

Rush

Laying down the beats

Rush Avatar

Career:759-539
Chips:
Right now, I have to say GSP has the most effective and evolved GnP game in the UFC right now, possibly MMA. That is, he has explosive takedowns, he consistently has an active ground game, always looking to pass guard, looks for subs as well and causes significant damage to the whole body of his opponent. To me, all these elements make him the most exciting GnP guy in MMA right now.

I don't know about Fedor being an exciting GnP guy. He typically sets up subs using a little GnP, but I wouldn't say his GnP style is exciting based on the fact that there isn't much to it. He usually finishes the guy with a sub really fast.

Brock has really effective GnP, but I am not sure I would call it exciting. To me he doesn't have to be active because his control is so good. However, I was impressed with his GnP tactics against Mir the second time around.

Cain V has potential to be a bread and butter GnP fighter. He has the tools to be an exciting GSP calibre GnP guy.

Hughes, has exciting finishes, but I have been less thrilled with his GnP style in the past years. His lack of activity has shown to be a shortcoming against the stronger fighters.

Last edited 11/3/09 10:08AM server time by Rush
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #6   11/3/09 10:02:46AM   

higdon10

MMA Sensei

higdon10 Avatar

Career:517-342
Chips:
Cain Velazquez

Post #7   11/3/09 11:15:00AM   

AnDeRsonDaSiLvA

BANNED

AnDeRsonDaSiLvA Avatar

Career:510-259
Chips:
Anyone who consistently works to pass the guard, gets my vote . Gsp is the one who most comes to mind .

I CANNOT stand Tito, the hammerhouse guys , or anyone else who is content to gnp from inside the guard . These guys have failed to evolve as fighters . Matt hughes is a good example of a guy who had a similar skillset but actually learned and is willing to use his passing in a fight .

Post #8   11/3/09 12:05:23PM   

teamquestnorth

Standup Guy

teamquestnorth Avatar

Career:806-570
Camp: The Underground
Chips:
i know hes kinda fallen on hard times lately but joe riggs used to have some vicious gnp. watch his fights with doerkson and lytle.

Post #9   11/3/09 2:47:35PM   

State_Champ

MMA Sensei

State_Champ Avatar

Career:1,405-840
Camp: The Evil Empire
Chips:
Randy!

Post #10   11/3/09 3:12:49PM   

cowcatcher

Steady MODdin'

cowcatcher Avatar

Career:2,457-1,410
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
if im going to get into the most exciting GnP ever the first name that comes to mind is sakuraba, im not even sure who id say it is now, but no one is as flashy as saku was when he was a major factor.

Post #11   11/3/09 3:17:01PM   

CwB

MMA Sensei

CwB Avatar

Career:221-151
Chips:
Any GnP from the result of a crucifix is just amazing to me (except Roy v Slice).

Hughes vs Penn
Cain vs Obrian
and go ahead and flame but i cant remember the classic crucifix with brutal elbows (brain fart)

Post #12   11/3/09 5:00:57PM   

teamquestnorth

Standup Guy

teamquestnorth Avatar

Career:806-570
Camp: The Underground
Chips:

Posted by CwB

Any GnP from the result of a crucifix is just amazing to me (except Roy v Slice).

Hughes vs Penn
Cain vs Obrian
and go ahead and flame but i cant remember the classic crucifix with brutal elbows (brain fart)

gary goodridge paul herrera

Post #13   11/3/09 5:12:34PM   

CwB

MMA Sensei

CwB Avatar

Career:221-151
Chips:

Posted by greshamfighter

Posted by CwB

Hughes vs Penn
Cain vs Obrian

gary goodridge paul herrera

Thats the one

Post #14   11/3/09 5:22:08PM   

State_Champ

MMA Sensei

State_Champ Avatar

Career:1,405-840
Camp: The Evil Empire
Chips:
I like Brock's ridiculous Donkey Kong pounding GnP.

Post #15   11/3/09 5:23:59PM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2