Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Dan Hardy on Swick: "Forget fight of the night, I want fight of the year"

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

ThaAxeMurderer7

MMA Sensei

ThaAxeMurderer7 Avatar

Career:1,277-814
Chips:
Dan Hardy is all focus as he prepares for his UFC 105 meeting with Mike ‘Quick’ Swick, and not even talk of a welterweight title shot against Georges St. Pierre should he win is enough to distract him from the task at hand.

In fact, Hardy has two goals in mind. Beat Swick, and do it in such emphatic fashion that his critics are silenced. Some are saying that Hardy has bitten off more than he can chew with Swick, and it rankles the Nottingham man.

Link

Post #1   10/30/09 10:04:39PM   

IriShame

In Full Mount

IriShame Avatar

Career:558-331
Chips:
It will be an exciting fight for as long as it lasts. I don't see Hardy making it out of the second round.

Post #2   10/30/09 10:31:34PM   

SUPERMAN155

Learning to Sprawl

SUPERMAN155 Avatar

Career:1,155-767
Camp: TEAM DEMON
Chips:
man this 1 is gonna be crazy! swick is a beast, but hardy is as well. im goin with swick here.....but ima be on the edge of my seat the whole time!

Post #3   10/31/09 2:38:44AM   

MMAcca

Heavyweight Champ

MMAcca Avatar

Career:1,928-1,113
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
This is THE fight i'm looking forward to the most at UFC 105!

I think Hardy will take this and prove that, unlike Bisping, he isn't all hype.

Post #4   10/31/09 4:52:15AM   

prozacnation1978

Heavyweight Champ

prozacnation1978 Avatar

Career:2,530-1,341
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
i wanna see this fight more than any other on the card

i see a decsion for either man or a ko by swick

Post #5   10/31/09 10:02:33AM   

SmileR

Buy the ticket, take the ride

SmileR Avatar

Career:1,284-761
Chips:

Posted by MMAcca

Dude come on, Bisping has only really lost to Hamill and Hendo the loss to Evans is overlooked because of the earlier call with Hamill but Bisping won that fight. Hardy won 2 minutes of a 15 minute fight with Davis and everyone in the U.K thinks he's the next big thing! Bisping like him or hate him is the best the U.K has to offer closely followed by the two scouse prospect boys Eitm and Kelly.

Swick could easily win this by decision or sub without even taking the risk of standing with Hardy, solely because Hardy has no ground game.

I was born to lead, not to read!!!!

Post #6   10/31/09 11:21:25AM   

sparky

AV BET Record: 41-10

sparky Avatar

Career:2,843-1,563
Camp: Team Fry Guy
Chips:

Posted by SmileR

Posted by MMAcca

Dude come on, Bisping has only really lost to Hamill and Hendo the loss to Evans is overlooked because of the earlier call with Hamill but Bisping won that fight. Hardy won 2 minutes of a 15 minute fight with Davis and everyone in the U.K thinks he's the next big thing! Bisping like him or hate him is the best the U.K has to offer closely followed by the two scouse prospect boys Eitm and Kelly.

Swick could easily win this by decision or sub without even taking the risk of standing with Hardy, solely because Hardy has no ground game.

No disrespect but if you think that Bisping, Etim and Kelly are the best the U.K has to offer you need to go out and start watching a lot more U.K fighters.

Post #7   10/31/09 11:26:33AM   

SmileR

Buy the ticket, take the ride

SmileR Avatar

Career:1,284-761
Chips:

Posted by sparky

Posted by SmileR

Posted by MMAcca

No disrespect but if you think that Bisping, Etim and Kelly are the best the U.K has to offer you need to go out and start watching a lot more U.K fighters.

None taken man, if you name better ones I will. They are the future of British MMA an you could maybe throw Tom Watson and Paul Daley in there too, but other than that you wont find many fighting at the top level of competition.

EDIT: An Paul Sass who I have no doubt will be fighting in the UFC in a year or two. I'd actually say Sass is a legit threat to Eitm and Kelly.

Last edited 10/31/09 12:36PM server time by SmileR
Edit note/reason: n/a
2 total post edits

I was born to lead, not to read!!!!

Post #8   10/31/09 11:57:35AM   

isk

In Full Mount

isk Avatar

Career:-
Chips:
I'm giving Hardy a good chance to win this. He's tall and lanky for a welterweight, and he's shown some pretty good striking power based on accuracy and leverage. I think a proper gameplan could net a hard fought decision. A stoppage is always possible if he catches Swick, though I think it's unlikely. Hardy has a couple viable options as I see it:

1) Stay at range, use lots of leg and body kicks to wear down Swick and to take his speed away. Hardy will need to keep his hands up to block and deflect counters; he can't drop them like Condit did against Ellenberger recently. This can either work for a grinding decision based on effective strikes dished out and little damage taken, or it could set up a knockout by fatiguing Swick.

2) Move into close range, lock up Swick where he can't use his speed too much. Hardy has a pretty good knees and elbows in the clinch, and a good dirty boxing game could neutralize Swick's midrange strikes.

I give the edge to Swick when it comes to the ground game. I think if Swick gets Hardy down to the ground he'll be able to do more damage than the other way around, but I think Hardy is good enough down there to be able to get back up without getting beaten senseless or getting subbed.

If Hardy loses, I think it'll be because he lets Swick move in and out as he pleases or if he gets into wild swinging matches.

And you know, now that I mention Condit, I think he'd be a good opponent for Hardy. Condit has the better ground game but it isn't super top level, and it would be cool to see two tall muay thai fighters just kick the hell out of each other. Condit's aggression could either overwhelm Hardy or play into Hardy's counters. I give the overall edge to Condit but if Hardy wins he'll have the momentum coming in. Interesting fight, maybe we'll see it someday.

Post #9   10/31/09 3:21:38PM   

jgtribbett

MMA Sensei

jgtribbett Avatar

Career:553-358
Camp: Team BloodLoss
Chips:
i'm excited to see this one, but id have to agree, that hardy may not make it out of round 2

Post #10   10/31/09 8:46:52PM   

BustedKnuckle

MMA Sensei

BustedKnuckle Avatar

Career:659-381
Chips:
I love Hardys brashness and I agree, except. FOTY is usually reserved for a fight that goes the distance and was a barnburner of a war!! Like Henderson/Cerrone, Cotoure/Nogeriea Sanchez/Guida. With the power that both of these guys have at 170 it isnt going past late 1st maybe early 2nd.

Last edited 10/31/09 9:28PM server time by BustedKnuckle

Post #11   10/31/09 9:25:31PM   

Jackelope

Go ahead, MOD my day

Jackelope Avatar

Career:864-486
Chips:
IMO Nogueira vs. Couture is the most overlooked fight this year. It is far and away my FOTY winner so far considering it contained all aspects of fighting. I can't stand these fights that end up showcasing two guys' kickboxing skills and never their overall MMA skills.

So, here's to hoping Hardy vs. Swick makes me think twice about picking Nog vs. Randy as FOTY

Post #12   10/31/09 9:36:36PM   

NatedawgThaM

MMA Sensei

NatedawgThaM Avatar

Career:676-444
Chips:
IDK I dont think it'll even be fight of the night just because Swick always gets hyped up as some exciting fighter but finds away to make it boring atleast until he fnishes it. Swick/Lousia Swick/Davis Swick/Saunders all disappointed IMO but the finish of the last one was sweet though. I dont know maybe it'll be exciting because of Hardy, I just see Swick winning and it not being that breathe taking. Could be good though.

Post #13   10/31/09 9:59:50PM   

SUPERMAN155

Learning to Sprawl

SUPERMAN155 Avatar

Career:1,155-767
Camp: TEAM DEMON
Chips:

Posted by NatedawgThaM

IDK I dont think it'll even be fight of the night just because Swick always gets hyped up as some exciting fighter but finds away to make it boring atleast until he fnishes it. Swick/Lousia Swick/Davis Swick/Saunders all disappointed IMO but the finish of the last one was sweet though. I dont know maybe it'll be exciting because of Hardy, I just see Swick winning and it not being that breathe taking. Could be good though.

are you serious??? How you gonna say Swick always finds a way to make it boring....until he finishes it?? thats so dumb sounding to me. Finishing fights is always exciting, thats the goal of every fighter. Plus most of Swicks fights end quickly. So how is he "finding a way to make it boring"?? swick has never been IMO a boring fighter, or even been in a boring fight. He doesnt just run straight at the guy and start swinging no, but hes definatly not boring. he is smart, patient, and explosive when he finds an opening. he never stalls the fight out or tries to go to a dec, he is always looking for a ko or sub. With Swick it isnt hype, its the truth. Anybody who says different just has sumthin against swick. Ive met Swick and IMO you couldnt find a nicer, more humble fighter than him. when people make a big deal about him or "hype" him up its cuz he is the real deal and is a tough fight for anybody, and now that hes dropped down to the weightclass he belongs in the skies the limit for him now, he ran thru almost the whole MW division{even tho it wuz before the
MW division wuz as stacked as it is now} b4 losing a dec to a guy who has beat a whole lot of great MMA fighters. all i can say is quit hatin, there r so many other fighters that keep getting called back to the UFC but that put on 1 boring fight after another, talk about some of those guys, but Swick aint 1 of em.

Post #14   11/8/09 2:02:01PM   

NatedawgThaM

MMA Sensei

NatedawgThaM Avatar

Career:676-444
Chips:

Posted by SUPERMAN155

Posted by NatedawgThaM

are you serious??? How you gonna say Swick always finds a way to make it boring....until he finishes it?? thats so dumb sounding to me. Finishing fights is always exciting, thats the goal of every fighter. Plus most of Swicks fights end quickly. So how is he "finding a way to make it boring"?? swick has never been IMO a boring fighter, or even been in a boring fight. He doesnt just run straight at the guy and start swinging no, but hes definatly not boring. he is smart, patient, and explosive when he finds an opening. he never stalls the fight out or tries to go to a dec, he is always looking for a ko or sub. With Swick it isnt hype, its the truth. Anybody who says different just has sumthin against swick. Ive met Swick and IMO you couldnt find a nicer, more humble fighter than him. when people make a big deal about him or "hype" him up its cuz he is the real deal and is a tough fight for anybody, and now that hes dropped down to the weightclass he belongs in the skies the limit for him now, he ran thru almost the whole MW division{even tho it wuz before the
MW division wuz as stacked as it is now} b4 losing a dec to a guy who has beat a whole lot of great MMA fighters. all i can say is quit hatin, there r so many other fighters that keep getting called back to the UFC but that put on 1 boring fight after another, talk about some of those guys, but Swick aint 1 of em.

Im not saying Swick's a boring fighter. I never said him finishing fights was boring either, I said its the best part of his fight. And before the Goulet fight he hadn't finished a guy in under 2 & a half minutes since UFC 60 in 06, now were at UFC 105 in 2009. I never said Swick is overhyped, I said his fights are. I'm just saying his fights are always hyped up as being the fight that be the best of the night & they never are. There good fights, but none of them are ever fight of the night or ever candidates for fight of the year. Swick/Lousiea was suppose to be sick, and it wasn't all that great. Swick/Burkman was decent but Burkman made that fight Swick wouldn't even let his hands go because of the weight. Swick/Davis was suppose to be exciting and it was good too but good at the most. Swick/Saunders was hard to watch until Swick pounced on him. IM not saying its only exciting if you run out there and swing for the fences. Im just saying usually his fights have a lot of circling or clinching because yeah he's an explosive finisher but until he decides too explode, hes just circling or clinching not really staying in the guys face with a jab or 1,2. IM not saying hes boring or not a good fighter at all. Im just saying his fights always get hyped up as some sick thing waiting to happen and he has yet to steal the show but Hardy will bring it too him so I think this will be a different story. Should be a good one with a devastating finish.

Last edited 11/9/09 1:19AM server time by Natedawgtham

Post #15   11/9/09 1:18:57AM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2