Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Josh Koscheck vs. Anthony Johnson slotted for UFC 106 co-main event

Print  
Posted By Message

dangerfield

MMA Regular

dangerfield Avatar

Career:385-223
Chips:
With the loss of its UFC 106 main event between UFC heavyweight champion Brock Lesnar and challenger Shane Carwin earlier this week, the UFC has bolstered the Nov. 21 card with a welterweight bout between contenders Josh Koscheck (13-4 MMA, 11-4 UFC) and Anthony Johnson (8-2 MMA, 5-2 UFC).

Koscheck posted on Twitter late Tuesday that he would appear on the card, and a source close to the event told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) overnight that Johnson will serve as his opponent.

The UFC, though, has yet to officially announced the fight, which serves as the night's co-main event.

link

Last edited 10/28/09 1:52PM server time by dangerfield
Edit note/reason: no link

Post #1   10/28/09 1:51:33PM   

McBee

In Full Mount

McBee Avatar

Career:815-456
Chips:
So Yoshida is going to be cringing when he watches the highlight reels for that matchup,

should be an awesome match, I think Koscheck will that it easy, he will stand with him and if he is ever in trouble he will take to the ground and bleed him out like he did Lytle.

Post #2   10/28/09 1:54:57PM   

Bowen50

The Talent

Bowen50 Avatar

Career:1,098-650
Chips:

Posted by McBee

So Yoshida is going to be cringing when he watches the highlight reels for that matchup,

should be an awesome match, I think Koscheck will that it easy, he will stand with him and if he is ever in trouble he will take to the ground and bleed him out like he did Lytle.

i don't know about that man. i don't think Koscheck will be able to get Johnson down. Johnson is also a good wrestler so the takedown defense is there, couple that with his size and strength i think he'll be able to stuff Kos. in my opinion these guys are going to stand and put on an insane fight. i don't see this one making it out of the first round.

Post #3   10/28/09 4:43:28PM   

McBee

In Full Mount

McBee Avatar

Career:815-456
Chips:

Posted by Bowen50

Posted by McBee

i don't know about that man. i don't think Koscheck will be able to get Johnson down. Johnson is also a good wrestler so the takedown defense is there, couple that with his size and strength i think he'll be able to stuff Kos. in my opinion these guys are going to stand and put on an insane fight. i don't see this one making it out of the first round.

the stand up fight will be there but I definitely think that if Koscheck wants him down he can get him down.

Post #4   10/28/09 4:46:43PM   

KaibaThedon

T H E D O N

KaibaThedon Avatar

Career:1,773-944
Camp: Canadian Power Team
Chips:
awesome fight... rumble has some serious power, but kos is pretty good and a solid UFC vet.

WW: Rush, Natural Born Killer, Ares, Hitman, Maia
LW: Jim Miller, Smooth, Khabib Eagle
FW: Aldo, Do Bronx, Answer
BW: Cruz, Mayday, One Punch, Barao

Post #5   10/28/09 5:15:02PM   

TimW001

MMA Sensei

TimW001 Avatar

Career:724-436
Chips:
Koscheck GnP

And I am no Koscheck fan.

Post #6   10/28/09 5:41:13PM   

Bowen50

The Talent

Bowen50 Avatar

Career:1,098-650
Chips:

Posted by McBee

Posted by Bowen50

Posted by McBee

the stand up fight will be there but I definitely think that if Koscheck wants him down he can get him down.

yeah after thinking about it he probably can but Koscheck really hasn't been using his wrestling at all as of late. he's been content standing up with guys. i really hope he stands with AJ because that has the makings for a crazy fight.

Post #7   10/28/09 6:05:39PM   

CwB

MMA Sensei

CwB Avatar

Career:221-151
Chips:
I love this fight, time to see if AJ is ready for the big dogs in the division.

If this fights stays standing i think it will look like the Thiago Alves fight
Which is a fight AJ should study alot
-Lots of low kicks to take away Koscheck's Takedowns/Power strikes

Thank you Joe Silva

Post #8   10/28/09 9:49:25PM   

GSPCanada

Standup Guy

Career:637-415
Chips:
Good fight here, both these guys deserve props for taking this fight on short notice

i dont know how it will pan out, i really have no idea what johnsons takedown d will be like and thatwill probably be the deciding factor. so who knows

anyone think johnsons weight may be an issue the night before the fight?

Post #9   10/28/09 11:38:02PM   

xphycorx

Standup Guy

xphycorx Avatar

Career:321-178
Chips:
if you think that koscheck is going to be able to get johnson on the ground you are crazy. he couldn't get gsp on the ground. he also couldn't get alves on the ground and alves isn't even a wrestler. johnson on the other hand has a wrestling base and is much bigger and stronger than koscheck. koscheck is going to have to stand with johnson and although i think koscheck's standup has come a long long way, i don't think he STANDS a chance against anthony johnson...no pun intended. my prediction would be a 2nd round ko for johnson. i have to give it up for koscheck though. the man loves to fight as often as he can and isn't afraid to fight anyone.

Post #10   10/29/09 12:15:16AM   

bjj1605

Heavyweight Champ

bjj1605 Avatar

Career:1,573-914
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
Koscheck has zero chance of surviving the stand up and very very little chance of getting this fight down to the ground. Anthony Johnson will destroy Kos. I'm more confident about this prediction than any other prediction I've ever made. If I had an avatar to bet I would.

Post #11   10/29/09 12:20:28AM   

supatolacyl

MMA Regular

supatolacyl Avatar

Career:1,157-897
Chips:
Kos has come a long way since he started, but that overhand right ie liddell style is the only solid punch he has shown IMO. If he choses to stand with Aj I think it will be a very short night for him and that makes me happy, because I'm not much on kos and would love to see him really ko'd not what happend in the Paulo fight but really ko'd. I also think it will be a tough task to get Johnson down, let alone keep him down, he's such an enormous fighter for that weight class. Good co-main event fight though

Post #12   10/29/09 1:22:53AM   

RMFG_187

Banned

RMFG_187 Avatar

Career:349-223
Chips:
i got Kos via round 1 KO/TKO. I see Kos holding his own in the standup, but once it gets to the ground, its all over. This is a sick matchup tho, for the first minute should be bombs landing everywhere

Post #13   10/30/09 9:45:26PM