Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

UFC 104's Anthony Johnson: "As soon as I didn't make weight, my life changed"

Print  
  Page 2 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

Wolf

MMA Regular

Wolf Avatar

Career:378-248
Camp: Team Bullshido
Chips:

Posted by postman

Posted by emfleek

Posted by Jackelope

Posted by emfleek

What are Johnson's wrestling credentials?

JUCO National Wrestling champion

Do you think it's safe to assume that Kos will take this to the mat?

You want to say yes but I mean GSP never wrestled and look at his skill on the mat. Kos wants to strike anymore and with Johnson being Juco champ you know taking him down won't be easy. I see this staying on the feet.

Kos is a 3 time (maybe 4) D1 All-American. Juco champ is literally NOTHING compared to that. If cos wants to take him down, he will.

edit: he is a 4 time D1 All-American

Last edited 10/28/09 1:43PM server time by Wolf
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #16   10/28/09 12:54:57PM   

Jackelope

Go ahead, MOD my day

Jackelope Avatar

Career:864-486
Chips:
You're right about JUCO being nothing compared to D-1, but there are certain other factors that weigh into the equation. I would say that as far as MMA goes it wouldn't be wise to just assume Koscheck will completely outclass Rumble on the mat. Not going to get into all of them, and I do agree that Koscheck has competed with tons of success at a much higher level in wrestling, but I'd be willing to bet that if circumstances had worked out well for Johnson he would have been fairly competitive at the D-1 level

Post #17   10/28/09 2:29:02PM   

Rush

Laying down the beats

Rush Avatar

Career:759-539
Chips:

Posted by Jackelope

You're right about JUCO being nothing compared to D-1, but there are certain other factors that weigh into the equation. I would say that as far as MMA goes it wouldn't be wise to just assume Koscheck will completely outclass Rumble on the mat. Not going to get into all of them, and I do agree that Koscheck has competed with tons of success at a much higher level in wrestling, but I'd be willing to bet that if circumstances had worked out well for Johnson he would have been fairly competitive at the D-1 level

I''ll attack it from a different angle. I don't think Alves has any official wrestling credentials, but Koscheck couldn't take him down.

There are so many factors that can go into this and I think the main one is, how long can Koscheck weather the storm in order to tire AJ out? I think if Koscheck can wrestle AJ in the clich in order to avoid the power shots, I think he can wear him down. However, Koscheck seems to always do the opposite of what I expect him to do, almost as if he is trying to prove a point that he doesn't need his wrestling or something.

Post #18   10/28/09 2:39:06PM   

Wolf

MMA Regular

Wolf Avatar

Career:378-248
Camp: Team Bullshido
Chips:
I think he has the ability to easily take him down. The problem is how will he make the attempt. If he goes back to his roots and just sets up a good shot at a double I don't think Rumble will stop him. In his earlier days, when he was still more of a straight wrestler you would watch Kos shoot a textbook double and keep driving all the way to the fence. If he set it up with his hands and drove through like he used to I feel pretty confident that he could dominate Rumble with the takedowns.

Post #19   10/28/09 4:40:43PM   

Jackelope

Go ahead, MOD my day

Jackelope Avatar

Career:864-486
Chips:

Posted by Wolf

I think he has the ability to easily take him down. The problem is how will he make the attempt. If he goes back to his roots and just sets up a good shot at a double I don't think Rumble will stop him. In his earlier days, when he was still more of a straight wrestler you would watch Kos shoot a textbook double and keep driving all the way to the fence. If he set it up with his hands and drove through like he used to I feel pretty confident that he could dominate Rumble with the takedowns.

Well that's the beauty of the sport. We'll see how it all plays out. I agree that if Kos gets back to his wrestling roots, uses his hands to set up the takedowns, and drives through them like he used to then he is a definite force to be reckoned with. However, like others have stated Kos seems to be a one track guy whether it's standup or takedowns he'll stick to it.

I think that's why guys like Guida and Sanchez, who aren't the best wrestlers and aren't the best strikers can be highly effective. Mixing it up and keeping a good pace can really change the dynamics of a fight.

Post #20   10/28/09 7:13:05PM   

Page 2 of 2     1     2