Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

UFC 104's Anthony Johnson: "As soon as I didn't make weight, my life changed"

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

ThaAxeMurderer7

MMA Sensei

ThaAxeMurderer7 Avatar

Career:1,277-814
Chips:
UFC welterweight Anthony Johnson should have left Los Angeles $60,000 richer.

After earning a devastating 43-second TKO win over Yoshiyuki Yoshida on the main card of this past Saturday's UFC 104 event in Los Angeles, Johnson appeared to be a lock for the evening's "Knockout of the Night" award and a $60,000 bonus.

But Johnson missed weight the day before, and UFC president Dana White declared "Rumble" ineligible for the award. Johnson said the penalty was a life-changing moment.

Link

Post #1   10/28/09 1:10:59AM   

supatolacyl

MMA Regular

supatolacyl Avatar

Career:1,157-897
Chips:
Yeah this sucked big time, I'm a huge fan of Rumble and there some very exciting fights that could be done at WW (Alves, Fitch, Koscheck, Swick and of course GSP) I don't believe any of those guys would be able to handle Johnson, escept for maybe GSP big fan of his too and would never bet against him. However, after the troubles of not making weight, (even though he had a reason, "some may call it an excuse" but a fighter shouldn't miss weight unless there is a birth or death in the family IMO) I'd like to see him move up to MW. He'd still be bigger then the majority of the fighters and would still flat out beast in the division and some very exciting fights in that division and would add a little more depth there. I know Anderson SIlva is already wanting to turn down a fight with Vitor, so he'd probably never take a fight with Johnson, but I would be excited as hell to see that fight, would be absolutely great and I don't care what any of the Silva nuthuggers say and I am one of them too. Ethier way Johnson decides to go he has a very bright future ahead of him and I hope he can get his weight issues under control.

(Also, was I mistaken or did Joe Rogan say during AJ's fight that he walks around at 220 pounds leading up to his fights?? Damn is all I can say about that and if it's true and he moves up to MW he could tack an extra 15 lbs onto that start weight. I don't know if I believe anyone can cut 50 lbs for a fight though, just seems unbelievable.

Post #2   10/28/09 2:26:24AM   

seanfu

BANNED

seanfu Avatar

Career:233-122
Chips:
Give him Kos, Fitch, Alves, Swick, Hazelett, or any other A-B level WW and he'll show some problems, give him a year or so to improve though and he'll definantly be competitive with any WW not named GSP.

Post #3   10/28/09 2:43:24AM   

postman

Heavyweight Champ

postman Avatar

Career:746-420
Chips:

Posted by supatolacyl

Yeah this sucked big time, I'm a huge fan of Rumble and there some very exciting fights that could be done at WW (Alves, Fitch, Koscheck, Swick and of course GSP) I don't believe any of those guys would be able to handle Johnson, escept for maybe GSP big fan of his too and would never bet against him. However, after the troubles of not making weight, (even though he had a reason, "some may call it an excuse" but a fighter shouldn't miss weight unless there is a birth or death in the family IMO) I'd like to see him move up to MW. He'd still be bigger then the majority of the fighters and would still flat out beast in the division and some very exciting fights in that division and would add a little more depth there. I know Anderson SIlva is already wanting to turn down a fight with Vitor, so he'd probably never take a fight with Johnson, but I would be excited as hell to see that fight, would be absolutely great and I don't care what any of the Silva nuthuggers say and I am one of them too. Ethier way Johnson decides to go he has a very bright future ahead of him and I hope he can get his weight issues under control.

(Also, was I mistaken or did Joe Rogan say during AJ's fight that he walks around at 220 pounds leading up to his fights?? Damn is all I can say about that and if it's true and he moves up to MW he could tack an extra 15 lbs onto that start weight. I don't know if I believe anyone can cut 50 lbs for a fight though, just seems unbelievable.

Josh Thompson said he was 225 3 weeks before the fight. (I'm begining to sound like a broken record lol)

Post #4   10/28/09 7:38:27AM   

tallica62

MMA Sensei

tallica62 Avatar

Career:1,991-1,229
Camp: Playground Bullies
Chips:

Posted by seanfu

Give him Kos, Fitch, Alves, Swick, Hazelett, or any other A-B level WW and he'll show some problems, give him a year or so to improve though and he'll definantly be competitive with any WW not named GSP.

well it looks like ur prayer was answered...kos vs johnson... im still undecided as to my pick..right now im leaning to johnson very slightly

Post #5   10/28/09 8:44:09AM   

emfleek

FA-Q

emfleek Avatar

Career:2,296-1,214
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
What are Johnson's wrestling credentials?

Post #6   10/28/09 8:47:17AM   

Jackelope

Go ahead, MOD my day

Jackelope Avatar

Career:864-486
Chips:

Posted by emfleek

JUCO National Wrestling champion

Post #7   10/28/09 9:28:01AM   

emfleek

FA-Q

emfleek Avatar

Chips:

Posted by Jackelope

Posted by emfleek

Do you think it's safe to assume that Kos will take this to the mat?

Post #8   10/28/09 9:31:41AM   

postman

Heavyweight Champ

postman Avatar

Chips:
Wiki says he wrestled for Lassen College but no other info

Post #9   10/28/09 9:35:31AM   

postman

Heavyweight Champ

postman Avatar

Chips:

Posted by emfleek

Posted by Jackelope

Posted by emfleek

Do you think it's safe to assume that Kos will take this to the mat?

You want to say yes but I mean GSP never wrestled and look at his skill on the mat. Kos wants to strike anymore and with Johnson being Juco champ you know taking him down won't be easy. I see this staying on the feet.

Post #10   10/28/09 9:38:41AM   

emfleek

FA-Q

emfleek Avatar

Chips:

Posted by postman

You want to say yes but I mean GSP never wrestled and look at his skill on the mat. Kos wants to strike anymore and with Johnson being Juco champ you know taking him down won't be easy. I see this staying on the feet.

Yeah, but GSP also trains with the Canadian Olympic team. There are exceptions for every rule and I think it's safe to say that GSP *is* the exception. He's just a freak of nature.

I see Kos wanting to stear clear of Johnson's striking by turning this into a wrestling match. Put Johnson on his back and pound him out.

Last edited 10/28/09 9:49AM server time by emfleek
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #11   10/28/09 9:44:43AM   

postman

Heavyweight Champ

postman Avatar

Chips:

Posted by emfleek

Posted by postman

Yeah, but GSP also trains with the Canadian Olympic team. There are exceptions for every rule and I think it's safe to say that GSP *is* the exception. He's just a freak of nature.

I see Kos wanting to stear clear of Johnson's striking by turning this into a wrestling match. Put Johnson on his back and pound him out.

Yeah all im saying is these guys train so much its hard to go off back rounds anymore. GSP was a bad example.

Post #12   10/28/09 9:53:19AM   

AchillesHeel

Heavyweight Champ

AchillesHeel Avatar

Career:845-448
Chips:

Posted by emfleek

[...]I think it's safe to say that GSP *is* the exception. He's just a freak of nature.

Exactly. Guys like GSP and Fedor and BJ Penn are worthless as measuring sticks.

Post #13   10/28/09 9:54:20AM   

Jackelope

Go ahead, MOD my day

Jackelope Avatar

Career:864-486
Chips:
You know I don't know whether either guy will try to take this to the mat or not. I'd actually expect to see them trade on the feet a bit to feel each other out. After the feeling out is overwith I'd bet on a clinch against the cage for most of the fight. Never know, though

Post #14   10/28/09 11:49:12AM   

MaxOne

Captain Doctor

MaxOne Avatar

Career:862-586
Camp: Team Syntax
Chips:

Posted by supatolacyl

Joe did say that but Anthony said different. Anthony said 220 is the highest he's ever been and it was right before this fight. he was sidelined due to an injury and put on extra weight.

Post #15   10/28/09 12:13:17PM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2