Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Dear Haters: Watch UFC 104 Without Audio And You Might See A Different Fight

Print  
  Page 1 of 3     1     2     3  
Posted By Message

DCRage

Representin' The MA's

DCRage Avatar

Career:978-738
Chips:
Yours truly, Lyoto Machida. That's one of the things he said in a Sherdog.com interview: "The American commentators were pretty much biased. If you see the fight without audio, you will probably see a different fight." In other words, he says that Mike Goldberg & Joe Rogan basically were too pro-Rua, among other things.

Article

Post #1   10/27/09 2:37:30PM   

george112

The Playground OG

george112 Avatar

Career:1,220-793
Camp: The Original Gangsters
Chips:
while i do think rogan and goldberg were overly biased.i dont think watching with no audio will change peoples minds about who won the fight.

like somebody has said before.there is no commentating for the live crowd that was there.they all were chanting machida at the beginning but he got booed by the whole place when the decision was read.thus the whole "different fight without audio" theory doesnt make sense to me

Post #2   10/27/09 2:43:45PM   

emfleek

FA-Q

emfleek Avatar

Career:2,284-1,206
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
I was in a bar and it was about impossible to hear commentary due to noise. That being said...the whole bar was upset.

Of course, the vast majority of them were Chads and couldn't tell you the difference between a rear naked choke and a triangle, so I wouldn't exactly take their word for it when it comes to judging.

I'm fine with the decision and will now look forward to a rematch.

Post #3   10/27/09 2:48:04PM   

submissionartist1

KING of the COMPOUND

submissionartist1 Avatar

Career:490-392
Camp: HighKicksRUs
Chips:
Dear Lyoto ,

YOUR THE MAN!

FROM,
everyone here at mmaplayground!!

lol

Post #4   10/27/09 3:02:05PM   

Gogoplatapus

MMA Sensei

Gogoplatapus Avatar

Career:894-595
Camp: West Coast Canada
Chips:
It's weird that the decision got booed at the Staple Center. If you've ever been to a event, you know that the crowd does not hear the commentating. I wonder why they thought Shogun won that fight?

Post #5   10/27/09 3:07:18PM   

SmileR

Buy the ticket, take the ride

SmileR Avatar

Career:1,284-761
Chips:
I thought it was a close fight and regardless of the commentary thought Rua should have got the not but I'm not really that bothered by the decision. It just proves MMA needs its own scoring system.

I was born to lead, not to read!!!!

Post #6   10/27/09 3:08:53PM   

McBee

In Full Mount

McBee Avatar

Career:815-456
Chips:

Posted by SmileR

I thought it was a close fight and regardless of the commentary thought Rua should have got the not but I'm not really that bothered by the decision. It just proves MMA needs its own scoring system.

exactly, it seems like scoring is too open to subjective opinions of how each round went you could really see how the early rounds could have gone either way and I think it was in the fourth round when the flurry at the end of the round could have won the fight for Machida. If we were doing Japanese rules and judging the fight as a whole it may have gone to Shogun, but like always never leave it in the judges hands and you do not have to worry about it.

Post #7   10/27/09 3:15:18PM   

bryan_schultz

Learning to Sprawl

bryan_schultz Avatar

Career:815-443
Chips:
Joe Rogan clearly had money riding on Rua. MG is just useless anyway.

I think the fight was close, but that Rua was the victor.

Post #8   10/27/09 3:20:09PM   

McBee

In Full Mount

McBee Avatar

Chips:
I think Machida is awesome but at the end I was thinking of the possibility of a Rua vs Anderson fight so I was half disappointed when Machida won

Post #9   10/27/09 3:22:44PM   

Pskinner_mma314

In Full Mount

Pskinner_mma314 Avatar

Career:191-166
Chips:

Posted by bryan_schultz

agreed, i think they should find a replacement for Golberg, he gets corrected way too much and it makes him look like he doesnt know what hes talking about.

as far as biased commentating, people love rooting for the underdog, this was basically the "lets see if machidas got it fight". unless u've been on top for awhile, i've noticed the commentating usually favors the underdog/challenger.

Post #10   10/27/09 3:28:21PM   

McBee

In Full Mount

McBee Avatar

Chips:

Posted by Pskinner_mma314

Posted by bryan_schultz

agreed, i think they should find a replacement for Golberg, he gets corrected way too much and it makes him look like he doesnt know what hes talking about.

as far as biased commentating, people love rooting for the underdog, this was basically the "lets see if machidas got it fight". unless u've been on top for awhile, i've noticed the commentating usually favors the underdog/challenger.

Goldberg might not be all there all the time but he is an icon of the UFC and probably helps out all the drunks to understand what is going on. Besides it is way too fun telling him to shut up in my living room to ever think of replacing him.

What they should try to do is get Jim Brown back to show us the affects of multiple concussions

Last edited 10/27/09 3:35PM server time by mcbee
Edit note/reason: n/a
2 total post edits

Post #11   10/27/09 3:34:03PM   

mrsmiley

Heavyweight Champ

mrsmiley Avatar

Career:1,478-860
Camp: Nutthuggers Suck
Chips:

Posted by Gogoplatapus

It's weird that the decision got booed at the Staple Center. If you've ever been to a event, you know that the crowd does not hear the commentating. I wonder why they thought Shogun won that fight?

No kidding.
Were I was watching I couldn't even hear the audio and still thought Shogun won.

I guess all the people at the staples center could somehow hear the commentary accoring to Mr.Machida

Post #12   10/27/09 3:49:28PM   

RyanC

MMA Sensei

RyanC Avatar

Career:472-317
Camp: Journalistas
Chips:

Posted by emfleek

I was in a bar and it was about impossible to hear commentary due to noise. That being said...the whole bar was upset.

I was in a similar situation. I couldn't hear a thing, and I still thought Shogun won. So did the other guys I was with. I would consider everyone I watched the fight with to be educated fans, so I respect their opinions.

The Machida fanboys next to us were EXTATIC with the decision.

It was a close fight. I still think the decision was atrocious, but it is what it is.

That all being said I'm done with this. Everyone needs to move on, and look forward to the rematch. They aren't going to take the belt away. Hopefully Shogun can do it again, and prove to everyone he should've won the first time. If he can beat him in the rematch he will be an even more convincing champion.

Post #13   10/27/09 3:59:52PM   

Aether

Heavyweight Champ

Aether Avatar

Career:946-505
Chips:
Wow, I'm surprised at the things Machida is saying. I can absolutely understand the "I didn't judge the fight" comments, but coming out and saying "I was the superior fighter" and that the people who disagree with the decision were simply swayed by biased commentary come off as pretty arrogant and unnecessary to me.

If Nog starts talking like this, I think I'll be convinced that there's some kind of virus going around blackhouse. None of these guys have ever been anything but respectful, but Anderson and Lyoto seem to be changing in that respect lately.

Post #14   10/27/09 4:33:56PM   

Edwards

Standup Guy

Edwards Avatar

Career:2,418-1,280
Camp: Team Fry Guy
Chips:
i've watched the fight in mute,slow motion and about 5or 6 times and i see it for shogun every time,ufc judging is based on rd by rd and thats how i judged and u dont have to beat the champ by ko or sub to win , all i ask is that u score all fights the same,ufc judging and japan judging shogun won the fight.i strongly believe that people jus cant except tht machida got beat at his own game and if shogun would ofcame in crazy like the old shogun he would of been ko,i thought he came up with a perfect game plan and won 4out of the 5 rds with the thrid being close.i thought it was a great chess match between two great standup fighters with that being said i will agree with the dude thats said its time to move on and look forward to the rematch,i also like to apoligize for a post i made yesterday about callin people fools and i like shogun 4th rd ko in the rematch

Post #15   10/27/09 4:46:37PM   

Page 1 of 3     1     2     3