Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Dana White: "I think there will be a rematch" between Lyoto Machida and Shogun Rua

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

AchillesHeel

Heavyweight Champ

AchillesHeel Avatar

Career:845-448
Chips:
Dana White: "I think there will be a rematch" between Lyoto Machida and Shogun Rua

by John Morgan on Oct 25, 2009 at 5:05 am ET

LOS ANGELES – Never one to bite his tongue, UFC president Dana White didn't take long to express his feelings on the main event of Saturday night's "UFC 104: Machida vs. Shogun" in Los Angeles.

"I thought 'Shogun' won the fight," White said as UFC 104's post-fight press conference opened.

White was just as displeased as most fans in attendance at Staples Center, as well as the majority of viewers at home, that champion Lyoto Machida was awarded a unanimous-decision win over challenger Mauricio "Shogun" Rua. But unlike the rest of those complaining, White can schedule a rematch – and it looks like he will.

cont.

Last edited 10/25/09 2:33PM server time by AchillesHeel
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #1   10/25/09 10:07:36AM   

ncordless

MODulation

ncordless Avatar

Career:1,868-1,068
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
I don't agree with Dana that either fighter should have pushed at the end of the round. Last night was a fight between two very dangerous strikers. If either fighter tried to force it at the end of the round to pick it up they easily could have been KOed by a counter.

Post #2   10/25/09 10:34:22AM   

MiniMan

Standup Guy

MiniMan Avatar

Career:38-27
Chips:

The whole 5 minutes of round 5, I was standing out of my chair, Praying that Shogun didnt get too reckless and give Lyoto a easy counter and waste his 4 rounds of kicking ass, But we all know what happened next...

I think its sad on the UFC.COM forums how nearly everyone is blaming Dana, The UFC or even Machida. Out of their hands!

But what gets me going, Is If Machida beats Shogun properly, Thats 2 wins over him, No rubber match would ever probally happen. Unless your Ken shamrock (Lost to Tito 3 times)

Sad day for MMA fans, Sadder day for Shogun...

Post #3   10/25/09 10:59:23AM   

ncordless

MODulation

ncordless Avatar

Career:1,868-1,068
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by MiniMan

The whole 5 minutes of round 5, I was standing out of my chair, Praying that Shogun didnt get too reckless and give Lyoto a easy counter and waste his 4 rounds of kicking ass, But we all know what happened next...

I think its sad on the UFC.COM forums how nearly everyone is blaming Dana, The UFC or even Machida. Out of their hands!

But what gets me going, Is If Machida beats Shogun properly, Thats 2 wins over him, No rubber match would ever probally happen. Unless your Ken shamrock (Lost to Tito 3 times)

Yeah, but fans will always remember this fight and know the truth.

Post #4   10/25/09 11:05:35AM   

benshirk

Learning to Sprawl

benshirk Avatar

Career:340-231
Camp: The Bonus Hole
Chips:
This fight is the reason why they should push it at the end of the rounds, if not the whole round. You let it go to the judges you let it out of your hands. Next time finish the fight and you can't complain about what happens. I am not saying machida won. But he got the decision. I can't say either really won the fight.

Post #5   10/25/09 11:40:38AM   

Ordep

Go Braves!

Ordep Avatar

Career:1,039-621
Camp: Beat Down System
Chips:

Once a rape, always a rape...

Shogun came prepared with the best gameplan and exposed Machida. The blueprint to beat the backpedaling was made available for all other fighters. Now Machida knows that he needs another strategy and Shogun doesn't know what to expect on a rematch. Of course, if you are the real champion you need to be ready for everything so don't take this as a pre-fight excuse for the rematch. The point is, rematch doesn't fix anything and gives Machida an advantage to keep a clean record after this.

for the record" wateched the fight 3 times (1,bar with limited commentary,2, replay w/ commentary, 3, replay w/o commentary) and still can't make the case for Machida winning 3(or more) rounds based on official rules.

Post #6   10/25/09 12:28:57PM   

nickcuc547

BANNED

nickcuc547 Avatar

Career:802-477
Chips:

Posted by ncordless

Posted by MiniMan

Yeah, but fans will always remember this fight and know the truth.

exactly, does anybody still believe that bisping beat hammil (although that decision was far worse than this one imo). To me this is vindication for shogun, and I love it that he is going to get his rematch, it is going to be highly anticipated and we are going to see both fighters come in with a big chip on their shoulders (machida wants vindication and shogun wants to prove he was robbed last time). Love the fact that these two are fighting again, love it.

Post #7   10/25/09 12:51:42PM   

RearNakedJoke

In Full Mount

RearNakedJoke Avatar

Career:1,223-863
Chips:
shogun said in the post fight that he didnt really push the pace in the 5th because his corner said he won the first 4 rounds. his mistake you never want to leave it to the judges. machida looked like the leg kicks had slowed him towards the end of the 4th and his punches werent looking as hard. i think shogun could have pushed the pace and finished him.

i was on the fence on the first round thats the round that gave machida the fight imo. i gave machida 2-3 and shogun 4-5 but that first could have gone either way for me.

either way Shogun put on a great showing last night. people wont be doubting him the way they have in his last couple fights. I know I wont.

Post #8   10/25/09 1:39:59PM   

spikerman19

Standup Guy

spikerman19 Avatar

Career:266-174
Camp: Norcal Fight Team
Chips:
There needs to be an immediate rematch. Just like with Tim and Andrei.

Post #9   10/25/09 2:27:30PM   

Chuteboxer

Standup Guy

Chuteboxer Avatar

Career:297-176
Camp: The Grappling Academy
Chips:
Please Dana, give Shogun an immediate rematch. He's the real champ in my eyes.

Post #10   10/25/09 2:59:12PM   

KoldKhaos

MMA Regular

Career:195-151
Chips:
The CSAC can all go F*** themselves and each other.

That or Dana orchistrated the most boss move in all of sports to hype up Machida vs Silva.

Dana has been one to tell fighters one thing (Henderson)
and do another.

Post #11   10/25/09 3:19:43PM   

mshalosky

Standup Guy

mshalosky Avatar

Career:362-216
Chips:
I thought the fight could have gone either way shogun definetely won 4 and 5 but the other three were so close. I could see how the judges gave machida the 48-47 win. I think its funny that a guy with a record of 2-2 in the ufc is fighting for the title saying that he does deserves the rematch

Post #12   10/25/09 3:47:35PM   

wrona666

In Full Mount

wrona666 Avatar

Career:1,102-674
Chips:
I agree it was a bad decision although i was not surprised, but it still does not compare to the Bisping vs Hamill decision.........

Post #13   10/25/09 6:17:52PM   

RyanC

MMA Sensei

RyanC Avatar

Career:472-317
Camp: Journalistas
Chips:

Posted by wrona666

I agree it was a bad decision although i was not surprised, but it still does not compare to the Bisping vs Hamill decision.........

I'm not quite sure why people are comparing this bad decision to others. It was a different fight, different fighters, different ref (I think), and probably different judges. There really is nothing to compare between the two. Not to mention the stakes for this fight were much higher considering the light heavyweight belt was on the line. Apples vs. Oranges IMPO.

Post #14   10/25/09 6:27:16PM   

C-TOWN

Learning to Sprawl

C-TOWN Avatar

Career:237-167
Chips:
There should a rematch between Lyoto Machida and Shogun Rua only because I want to see them go at it again

Post #15   10/25/09 9:14:03PM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2