Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Machida, Rua Agree to 'Immediate Rematch'

Print  
  Page 3 of 3     1     2     3  
Posted By Message

chickmagnet

MMA Sensei

chickmagnet Avatar

Career:529-344
Camp: The Pit
Chips:
it would be interesting to see how Lyoto aproaches this next fight, I think he will be more prepared for the gameplan and possibly win...

Post #31   10/25/09 10:05:13PM   

bjj1605

Heavyweight Champ

bjj1605 Avatar

Career:1,533-897
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:

Posted by BigTomZ

Machida is a methodical (boring) fighter and you have to be willing to fight at that slow pace to beat him. Shogun went into this fight knowing that Machida can't finish anyone unless they come in aggressive and chase him (Silva) or get impatient (Evans). Shogun attacked the legs, worked his kicks, got in and out of exchanges quick, and didn't over commit on takedowns. He fought the perfect fight to beat Machida, based on what we have seen from him so far. He won that fight plain and simple. Shogun's hard work was wasted in this fight because of bad judging.

Now that bad judging will affect the rematch. Machida will most certainly make adjustments to take away the things that were most effective for Shogun. So now Shogun will have to come up with a new game plan to win. I promise you there will be no more aggression out of Machida. Even when Machida was criticized for being boring, he didn't change a thing. We could see more aggression out of Shogun, which works in the favor of Machida. If Shogun fights pretty much the same fight, with only a little more aggression, he should win. If he goes in thinking he must have a finish to get that belt, he could walk into a Machida KO or end up losing a one sided decision.

I really can't stand people calling Machida boring. He is a technical fighter and on top of that has finished his two opponents before Shogun convincingly.

Post #32   10/25/09 10:51:43PM   

bjj1605

Heavyweight Champ

bjj1605 Avatar

Career:1,533-897
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:

Posted by EliasG

It is true that the fight was tactical...it is more true to say that this fights' entertainment value on a scale of 1-10 was about a 2. I ws bored but impressed that Rua stayed so disciplined. He beat up Lyoto pretty good and the Dragon looked tired and frustrated by the end of the fight. He had no answer for the leg kicks, and the majority of his shots---when he actually threw them which was RARE---were blocked on Rua's elbows and cover up defense.

This is a terrible rematch and will be as boring the second time as it was the first time. What is Lyoto going to do turn into something other than a counterpuncher? He'll stay a counter puncher and wait. Will Rua suddenly throw caution to the wind and use a different game plan? That's the only future outcome. If Rua becomes more aggressive he "might" win the judges scores, but he'll also play into the counter punchers hands.

Lyoto did NOTHING to win that fight and as a consolation we have to be subjected to another 5 boring rounds? I'd just as soon crown Rua the champ in my mind and see him fight someone else who is a more interesting match up where he doesn't have to follow such a rigid gameplan.

I don't watch the UFC just to watch champs---I watch to be entertained by fights. I can appreciate technical approaches as a former boxing practitioner, martial arts practitioner, and a person who formerly trained in MMA---but as a person who payed 50 bucks I feel ripped off....

I was wondering when MMA would become boxing at its worst.

Rua was robbed. Lyoto isn't the champ anymore but he gets to keep the belt. So what. Give me a REAL fight next time by giving me better matchups instead of Rua v. Machida 2. Yawn....

Wow.... how can you call that fight boring? IMO it could easily be a fight of the year candidate. True MMA fans and students of the martial art should be able to understand this of course, but even my friends watching the fight who know nothing of MMA were entertained. I wasn't happy with the decision either but I would love to see a rematch between these two and was pumped through out the 5 rounds of action.

What was it about this fight that you found boring? Do you tend to be a grappling fan?

Post #33   10/25/09 10:54:18PM   

The-Don

Belt Contender

The-Don Avatar

Career:583-418
Camp: Savage Nation MMA
Chips:
While I agree that shogun won this fight... there is a saying we all know.. If you leave it in the judges hands, anything can happen.

Post #34   10/26/09 2:51:34AM   

Wolfenstein

Heavyweight Champ

Wolfenstein Avatar

Career:1,304-730
Chips:
I don't really understand the strong reaction to the decision. I thought every round except for 5 was close, and certainly I don't think there was a clear-cut winner. Shogun landed a ton of body kicks and low kicks, but he took more head shots--and head shots have always been scored more favorably than low kicks and body kicks.

Either way, awesome fight--one of the best title matches I've seen.

Post #35   10/26/09 7:07:37AM   

Hideous

Learning to Sprawl

Career:229-178
Chips:
This fight was a lose / lose for me as I admire both equally - Machida coming from a traditional martial art and showing its relevance and Shogun from PRIDE days - who could not admire him.
Problem is one of them had to loose unfortunately and then by a terrible decision!.

However it was an incredibly good fight - and I was very much in awe of both fighers. It was action chess of sorts!
Incredible stuff!

Post #36   10/26/09 10:27:41AM   

EliasG

In Full Mount

EliasG Avatar

Career:222-176
Chips:

Posted by bjj1605

Posted by EliasG

It is true that the fight was tactical...it is more true to say that this fights' entertainment value on a scale of 1-10 was about a 2. I ws bored but impressed that Rua stayed so disciplined. He beat up Lyoto pretty good and the Dragon looked tired and frustrated by the end of the fight. He had no answer for the leg kicks, and the majority of his shots---when he actually threw them which was RARE---were blocked on Rua's elbows and cover up defense.

This is a terrible rematch and will be as boring the second time as it was the first time. What is Lyoto going to do turn into something other than a counterpuncher? He'll stay a counter puncher and wait. Will Rua suddenly throw caution to the wind and use a different game plan? That's the only future outcome. If Rua becomes more aggressive he "might" win the judges scores, but he'll also play into the counter punchers hands.

Lyoto did NOTHING to win that fight and as a consolation we have to be subjected to another 5 boring rounds? I'd just as soon crown Rua the champ in my mind and see him fight someone else who is a more interesting match up where he doesn't have to follow such a rigid gameplan.

I don't watch the UFC just to watch champs---I watch to be entertained by fights. I can appreciate technical approaches as a former boxing practitioner, martial arts practitioner, and a person who formerly trained in MMA---but as a person who payed 50 bucks I feel ripped off....

I was wondering when MMA would become boxing at its worst.

Rua was robbed. Lyoto isn't the champ anymore but he gets to keep the belt. So what. Give me a REAL fight next time by giving me better matchups instead of Rua v. Machida 2. Yawn....

Wow.... how can you call that fight boring? IMO it could easily be a fight of the year candidate. True MMA fans and students of the martial art should be able to understand this of course, but even my friends watching the fight who know nothing of MMA were entertained. I wasn't happy with the decision either but I would love to see a rematch between these two and was pumped through out the 5 rounds of action.

What was it about this fight that you found boring? Do you tend to be a grappling fan?

The fight was incredibly boring and I am a FAN of Lyoto's tactical approach. In fact, I've praised it when people have complained about how "boring" he is. But in this fight, he not only wouldn't commit he was tentative and worried about committing. It is one thing to be a counter striker--which he is, it is another thing to be puzzled about how to fight your opponent.

It is good to feint but it is better to feint with purpose and have a few shots mixed in there. Even a counterpuncher occassionaly must initiate. Does it make you a bad fighter if you choose to fight incredibly defensively? No. Does it make you a boring fighter? IN THIS CASE I say yes. Having ONE mode of fighting is useful when that mode of fighting helps you win (in reality) but in this case, when Shogun didn't bring him the fight and close distance, Lyoto literally had nothign. He had no other game plan, no other approach, no other way to close distance and bring Shogun into his area. That isn't ring generalmanship. That isn't superiour striking. That isn't good tactics. That's just confused. The only fault that I can find for Shogun is that he didn't become aggressive in the final round. He could have become much more aggressive (had he known the scores were ridiculously close) and looked to inflict more damage. Lyoto was gassed in that last round and had trouble with his lateral movement.

It was definitely a boring fight though. The tension for me was waiting to see if someone WOULD strike, while knowing that either guy had the potential to lay the other one out. But that's the kind of tension you feel at the weigh in.

Post #37   10/28/09 6:15:49PM   

Page 3 of 3     1     2     3