Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Machida says Shogun will be 2 or 3 steps behind

Print  
Posted By Message

ThaAxeMurderer7

MMA Sensei

ThaAxeMurderer7 Avatar

Career:1,277-814
Chips:
UFC light heavyweight champion Lyoto Machida isn’t buying Mauricio “Shogun” Rua’s promise to be patient when they face off Saturday at UFC 104.

Rua, 27, in July told MMAWeekly.com that Machida’s past opponents had gone wrong by rushing to the attack. He would wait for the right moment to strike at the champion.

“This is likely the key, to find the pace and the rhythm, mostly the timing of the strikes to be able to connect and to make it a fight,” said Rua.

Link

Post #1   10/21/09 8:45:19PM   

BustedKnuckle

MMA Sensei

BustedKnuckle Avatar

Career:659-381
Chips:
Lyoto is speaking in absolute truths. What in any of Shoguns fights says he will "wait/be patient". He is a very aggressive fighter and we all know once a solid strike lands the gamplan goes out the window. I see Rua getting clocked and imeadiatly coming forward acting as nothing is wrong but in fact Lyoto is about to knock him the F out!

Post #2   10/21/09 9:26:15PM   

Aaronno9

King in the North

Aaronno9 Avatar

Career:798-457
Chips:

Posted by BustedKnuckle

Lyoto is speaking in absolute truths. What in any of Shoguns fights says he will "wait/be patient". He is a very aggressive fighter and we all know once a solid strike lands the gamplan goes out the window. I see Rua getting clocked and imeadiatly coming forward acting as nothing is wrong but in fact Lyoto is about to knock him the F out!

I dont think Shoguns ever really said hes going to be patient with his attacks before lol. Hes never fought somebody who fights like Machida though, I think he sticks to a gameplan till the third, starts to gas and realise hes going to loose, then swings for the fences.

Post #3   10/21/09 9:49:38PM   

SpiderSilva

Reminder: steelers suck!!!

SpiderSilva Avatar

Career:1,855-1,155
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
I don't think Machita can KO shogun this may end on the ground in the later rounds or go to a Dec

He's been known to cure narcalepsy by just walking into a room. His orgin donation card list his beard. He is a lover not a fighter but he's also a fighter so don't get any idea's he is SpiderSilva I'm the baddest man alive

Post #4   10/21/09 11:17:19PM   

bjj1605

Heavyweight Champ

bjj1605 Avatar

Career:1,566-910
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
Not enough people are giving Shogun his due credit. This guy was a world beater back in pride and if he can return to that form this fight might be a lot different than people expect.

I doubt he will actually be patient though... the difference is he has an intelligent/technical aggression. He attacks openings vs. just attacking whenever. I see this being a competitive fight for about three rounds with Machida getting hit more often than we're used to. Then late in the third or early in the fourth shogun will get put to sleep when machida gets the right shot in.

I think an under looked aspect of this fight however is Shogun's ground game. Everyone assumes this will stay standing but Shogun might be able to get machida down. We haven't see much of his guard and we all know how dangerous shogun is from the top.

Fact of the matter is while I'm picking Machida I don't think so many people should be. This could easily be a hot bout and the playground seems to be off the odds here. I think someone betting on Shogun could easily be in for a big pay day...

Post #5   10/21/09 11:28:35PM   

bustin_mma

Standup Guy

bustin_mma Avatar

Career:1,489-869
Camp: Kame House
Chips:
If Shogun is gonna win this fight it will be with a SUB. Guy has crazy good JJ and is just as aggressive with his JJ atacks.

Post #6   10/22/09 2:58:06AM   

MiniMan

Standup Guy

MiniMan Avatar

Career:38-27
Chips:
Shogun has all the tools to beat Machida, Will it beat him this weekend?? Dont know, He can beat Machida, Its just, Will he??

Post #7   10/22/09 9:44:35AM   

sparky

AV BET Record: 41-10

sparky Avatar

Career:2,843-1,563
Camp: Team Fry Guy
Chips:

Posted by MiniMan

Shogun has all the tools to beat Machida, Will it beat him this weekend?? Dont know, He can beat Machida, Its just, Will he??

I completely agree with you!!!

Post #8   10/22/09 9:47:50AM   

scpd400

MMA Regular

scpd400 Avatar

Career:1,677-1,175
Camp: Team Topaz
Chips:

Posted by SpiderSilva

I don't think Machita can KO shogun this may end on the ground in the later rounds or go to a Dec

I dont think there anyway this going to a decision

Post #9   10/22/09 11:10:48AM   

tomp6581

Standup Guy

tomp6581 Avatar

Career:406-255
Chips:
In terms of stand-up style Shogun is made for Lyoto....Shogun would surley be aware of this, so I would expect him to be patient and intellegent whislt standing.

I think Shogun needs to actively try and score takedowns, keep Lyoto there as long as possible making sure he is his aggressive self on the floor. I would like to see Lyoto on his back to see how he copes.

Also, I would love to see how Lyoto's style would be affected if Shogun can score some hard kicks on his legs....then again, it is wise to kick with lyoto? I want to see a long battle.....and I wouldnt be suprised if we saw one.

Lyoto is a hard puzzle to solve.

Post #10   10/22/09 12:25:18PM