Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Shogun Rua looking to exploit "The Dragon's" low guard on Oct. 24

Print  
Posted By Message

ThaAxeMurderer7

MMA Sensei

ThaAxeMurderer7 Avatar

Career:1,277-814
Chips:
“I am the underdog for sure but I am confident. Lyoto is the favorite, the current champion. Everybody bets he will beat me but I come in all my fights thinking I’m capable to win. I already see myself being victorious. If I think different, it’s better not fighting. I believe in me, in my game and know my potential. His game is standing, it’s hard to find him to hit and he has a good wrestling. Maybe his unique weakness is the low guard. If the fight ends until the fifth round, it’s going to be standing. I look to fight stand up and so does he, so it’ll be a knockout or judges decision.”

Mauricio Rua weighs in on his upcoming title fight against Lyoto Machida at UFC 104 from the Staples Center in Los Angeles, California, on Oct. 24.

Link

Post #1   10/20/09 5:26:43PM   

prozacnation1978

Heavyweight Champ

prozacnation1978 Avatar

Career:2,320-1,237
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
i know and this is just me but if i was gonna fight i sure as hell wouldn't tell the other person what weaknesses on them i will specifically attack

Post #2   10/20/09 7:28:59PM   

IriShame

In Full Mount

IriShame Avatar

Career:558-331
Chips:
So this so called "weakness" hasn't already been exploited already by B.J. Penn, Rick Franklin, Soukoudju, Tito Ortiz, Thiago Silva or Rashad Evans?

That's because it's not really a weakness. Machida keeps his arms low when he's on the outside, out of punching range. I think he actually creates different angles when countering from this hand position. Ones that his opponent might not be used to seeing.

I would say that this might even be seen as an advantage. One unique to Lyoto's skillset. His in-and-out style, combined with his hand speed allows him to keep his hands low a much larger percentage of the time than the average fighter.

As far as it being a weakness, I don't see it. The guy never gets hit so why keep his hands up? Also, on the brief occasions he is within punching distance he is either clinching up, backing out, or more often than not, doing the punching.

I think Shogun's reaching for anything here.

Post #3   10/20/09 7:45:12PM   

Pookie

Remember Paul Herrera

Pookie Avatar

Career:1,830-1,011
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by IriShame

So this so called "weakness" hasn't already been exploited already by B.J. Penn, Rick Franklin, Soukoudju, Tito Ortiz, Thiago Silva or Rashad Evans?

That's because it's not really a weakness. Machida keeps his arms low when he's on the outside, out of punching range. I think he actually creates different angles when countering from this hand position. Ones that his opponent might not be used to seeing.

I would say that this might even be seen as an advantage. One unique to Lyoto's skillset. His in-and-out style, combined with his hand speed allows him to keep his hands low a much larger percentage of the time than the average fighter.

As far as it being a weakness, I don't see it. The guy never gets hit so why keep his hands up? Also, on the brief occasions he is within punching distance he is either clinching up, backing out, or more often than not, doing the punching.

I think Shogun's reaching for anything here.

Or shogun might just be a better striker than everybody you mentioned...

Post #4   10/20/09 9:23:08PM   

WheelchairBandit

Standup Guy

WheelchairBandit Avatar

Career:667-394
Camp: MMAForReal.com
Chips:
Shogun is the most over rated striker in MMA.Where exactly has he shown these great striking skills?When he smashed a half starved,untrained Rampage Jackson and an extremely shopworn Chuck Liddell.Don't say Coleman or Gono or I'll slap you.

This is what has always puzzled me about fans of Shogun-why they all think the guy is a striker,when he has won 90% of his fights by using his great top game and just pounding them out.The guy is a superb fighter,one of the best ever........but why hype him up as something that he's not?People used to do the same thing with GSP-everyone always hyped his striking,and overlooked the fact that he won nearly all his fights with wrestling and ground and pound..It wasn't until after the loss to Serra that it became cool to hype GSP as a great wrestler.Now you never hear about what a great striker he is.

Now,if Shogun is going to exploit Machida in any way,shape or form,it's going to be on the mat,not on the feet.Shogun's striking defense has always been pretty poor,and he always comes in very open.If he spends a lot of time on the feet with Machida,he's going to get chewed up and spit out in short order.But,if he clinches and uses his excellent body lock takedown to get the fight to the mat,then his chances get far better.If you go back and watch Machida's fight with BJ Penn,you will see that BJ was able to take him down and control him by simply getting an upper body lock and just pulling Machida's shoulders straight down to the mat.So Shogun should go for the bodylock takedown.Once on top,he needs to work his ground and pound.An important thing he needs to remember is that he shouldn't go for a sub until he either has Machida hurt or tired-if Machida is fresh,he's going to explode right out of it,and Shogun will have given up a valueable position for nothing.

I think if Shogun works a smart gameplan and tries to consistantly put Machida on his back and keep him there,it will be a great,competitive fight.

But if he just tries to have a kickboxing match with Machida,it's going to be another one sided beatdown to be added to the karate man's highlight reel.

Brian.

Post #5   10/21/09 2:49:10AM   

ianinspain

MMA Regular

ianinspain Avatar

Career:754-517
Chips:
Nicely said!

Post #6   10/21/09 7:13:20AM   

1daveufc

Standup Guy

1daveufc Avatar

Career:612-433
Camp: East Coast Pitbulls
Chips:

Posted by WheelchairBandit

Shogun is the most over rated striker in MMA.Where exactly has he shown these great striking skills?When he smashed a half starved,untrained Rampage Jackson and an extremely shopworn Chuck Liddell.Don't say Coleman or Gono or I'll slap you.

This is what has always puzzled me about fans of Shogun-why they all think the guy is a striker,when he has won 90% of his fights by using his great top game and just pounding them out.The guy is a superb fighter,one of the best ever........but why hype him up as something that he's not?People used to do the same thing with GSP-everyone always hyped his striking,and overlooked the fact that he won nearly all his fights with wrestling and ground and pound..It wasn't until after the loss to Serra that it became cool to hype GSP as a great wrestler.Now you never hear about what a great striker he is.

Now,if Shogun is going to exploit Machida in any way,shape or form,it's going to be on the mat,not on the feet.Shogun's striking defense has always been pretty poor,and he always comes in very open.If he spends a lot of time on the feet with Machida,he's going to get chewed up and spit out in short order.But,if he clinches and uses his excellent body lock takedown to get the fight to the mat,then his chances get far better.If you go back and watch Machida's fight with BJ Penn,you will see that BJ was able to take him down and control him by simply getting an upper body lock and just pulling Machida's shoulders straight down to the mat.So Shogun should go for the bodylock takedown.Once on top,he needs to work his ground and pound.An important thing he needs to remember is that he shouldn't go for a sub until he either has Machida hurt or tired-if Machida is fresh,he's going to explode right out of it,and Shogun will have given up a valueable position for nothing.

I think if Shogun works a smart gameplan and tries to consistantly put Machida on his back and keep him there,it will be a great,competitive fight.

But if he just tries to have a kickboxing match with Machida,it's going to be another one sided beatdown to be added to the karate man's highlight reel.

Brian.

You nailed it

Post #7   10/21/09 4:24:24PM   

XblacksheepX

MMA Regular

XblacksheepX Avatar

Career:672-359
Chips:

Brian.

i agree here on most points you made. what made shogun known for being a good striker back in the day was more his super aggressive chute box style and successful thai clinch work, rather than good technique, which ended in a ground and pound stoppage most of the time as you said it. that style also left a lot of gaps, just like his brother ninja or wanderlei. the dragon will absolutely take advantage of these gaps and agressivness to counterstrike him into lala land, if shogun chose to use that.

so, yes, i also would assume takedowns would be the only key to victory for shogun here. but, when machida was taken down by bj, this was years from now and i'd say machida is a much better fighter then he was at the time. and if you watch the machida vs. ortiz fight, you can see even a very good wrestler wasn't able to take him down.

i'd say it also comes down to if shogun can keep up speedwise with machida in the later rounds if he won't gass out before anyway, and honestly, i don't think so. no matter if he's trying to punch him or take him down, if he can't keep up with machida's speed, he will be losing the fight in devastating fashion.

so my guess for machida's game plan is to let shogun get tired and then take him out in the third or later rounds. I'd bet my ass on it!

Last edited 10/21/09 8:16PM server time by xblacksheepx
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #8   10/21/09 8:09:17PM   

IriShame

In Full Mount

IriShame Avatar

Career:558-331
Chips:
I still say the only answer to Machida is a strong wrestler with good ground and pound and sub defense.

I know he already fought Tito, who seemingly matches that description but even Tito will tell you he wasn't 100% for that fight. Even if he was I think his wrestling is a bit overrated and even a prime Tito would probably have trouble taking Machida down.

I don't see anybody on the horizon that can solve the Machida riddle except for maybe Bader or Jon Jones. Not that they could even get out of the first round now but in a couple years when both of these guys are rounding out their games and entering their primes they MIGHT be able to hand "The Dragon" his first UFC loss.

A striker isn't going to be the one to do it. Even one as good as Shogun. Who for the record, is slightly overrated in the striking department as many of you have already stated.

Post #9   10/21/09 9:15:24PM   

Pookie

Remember Paul Herrera

Pookie Avatar

Chips:
I'd like to bump this just so everyone knows i am the only person who was right in this thread.

Post #10   10/23/11 7:30:45AM   

Cooler

Banned for Cheating

Cooler Avatar

Career:886-472
Camp: The Evolutionaries
Chips:

Shogun is the most over rated striker in MMA.

Brian.

Epic fail brian

Post #11   10/23/11 12:50:22PM   

Shawn91111

Shawn91111 Avatar

Career:2,583-1,357
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:

Posted by Pookie

I'd like to bump this just so everyone knows i am the only person who was right in this thread.

Forum Rules and Conduct

22. Don't bump threads just to point out you got a pick right.

tsk tsk

Post #12   10/23/11 7:03:29PM   

Pookie

Remember Paul Herrera

Pookie Avatar

Chips:

Posted by Shawn91111

Posted by Pookie

Forum Rules and Conduct

tsk tsk

Well to be devil's advocate, it was to point out that everybody else got it wrong.

Post #13   10/23/11 8:59:30PM   

cowcatcher

Steady MODdin'

cowcatcher Avatar

Career:2,476-1,422
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:

Posted by Pookie

Posted by Shawn91111

Posted by Pookie

Forum Rules and Conduct

tsk tsk

Well to be devil's advocate, it was to point out that everybody else got it wrong.

All 7 everybodys...

Last edited 10/24/11 10:16AM server time by cowcatcher
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #14   10/24/11 9:38:35AM