Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Fighting badly in dreams.

Print  
Posted By Message

Mattchupichu

Learning to Sprawl

Mattchupichu Avatar

Career:912-523
Camp: UFCmaniacs
Chips:
Do professional fighters fight badly in their dreams? I've trained martial arts for about 14 years and whenever i have a dream about fighting it is always very mechanical and not fluid at all. I was wondering if that was because no matter how hard you train in real life, while you're dreaming it is still your mind thinking about the next move. I know in a real fight muscle memory has a lot to do with it. So I was wondering if Pro fighters had this problem too.

Post #1   10/20/09 9:38:49AM   

mrsmiley

Heavyweight Champ

mrsmiley Avatar

Career:1,518-886
Camp: Nutthuggers Suck
Chips:
I can't speak on behalf of pro-fighters,but I once had a dream I was in a ring fighting Frank Shamrock and he knocked my front teeth out.
Their were people everywhere in the audience and camera's flashed everywhere as I fell.

Frank let me get up,and as I was getting up i felt my mouth and noticed my teeth were gone.

Post #2   10/20/09 2:35:49PM   

bayonetxwork

In Full Mount

bayonetxwork Avatar

Career:114-60
Camp: TUFFS Fight Club
Chips:
lol this to me is pretty interesting because i've been training for about 5 years, and when training comprises a large portion of your life its hard not to dream about it as your dreams are loosely based off of what you think about day in and day out...and i don't think i've ever won a fight in my dreams? haha

Post #3   10/20/09 3:05:21PM   

sbulldavid

Heavyweight Champ

sbulldavid Avatar

Career:1,468-851
Camp: Playground Legends
Chips:
Me personally , my technique is flawless in my dreams, maybe you are thinking to hard or trying to learn too quick , or just fighting or training over your head. I sometimes sit and visualize my technique at its finest, I believe form is the most important part of naturally reacting and if your looking sloppy in dreams something isn't clicking physically or mentally.

I'm not dissing anybodies opinion,( just tired of defending my opinion), that's just my way of doing things. Good Luck Happy Training.

Last edited 10/20/09 6:43PM server time by sbulldavid
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #4   10/20/09 6:39:38PM   

Aaronno9

King in the North

Aaronno9 Avatar

Career:798-457
Chips:
Whenever I fight in my dreams I can only move my arms very very slowly. I dont train mma anymore, but this had been happening in my dreams long before I started training and still happens whenever I dream im in a fight now.

Post #5   10/20/09 7:30:27PM   

Rush

Laying down the beats

Rush Avatar

Career:759-539
Chips:
Great topic, IMO. One of the better ones recently.

I have trained for well over a decade. I dream about fighting once and a while (wish I dream more of sex, but I digress).

In my dreams I always dominate my opponent in the sense that I control them. However, when I hit them, they are not hurt enough. However, when they hit me, I don't get hurt (whether it is fists, knife, bullets, whatever).

I don't know anything about analyzing dreams, but I suspect that the fighting theme of the dream is secondary to a deeper psychological reason for your fighting abilities. I am sure there are a number of ways to interpret them.

While we're on the topic of dreams, I also tend to have trouble seeing in my dreams, but I can jump far and have even flown at will.

Post #6   10/20/09 9:48:16PM   

bojangalz

The Original Playground Bully

bojangalz Avatar

Career:1,554-840
Chips:
I'm quite positive this is commonplace among just about any profession. Without all the psychobabble, my guess is it's got something to do with our inner struggle to perform at the peak of our ability.

I don't remember my dreams very often. But from time to time I have very vivid dreams of work-related combat. My bullets are always travelling in slow motion, and I can never move faster then my adversary. It always feels like I'm in quicksand while they are running at warp speed. Now that I think of it, I don't know that I've ever remembered who or what the adversary even is. But I'm always wearing either my duty uniform or SWAT kit.

This has got to be basically the same experience you are having. My guess is it's completely normal. (Sure hope so at least lol.)

Post #7   10/20/09 10:18:03PM   

Jackelope

Go ahead, MOD my day

Jackelope Avatar

Career:864-486
Chips:
LOL, yeah I almost always suck ass in my dreams. My punches are like pillows.

Even in dreams where I kick massive ass there's usually something bad about the way I kicked ass. Like I end up in jail or beat up some innocent person or something.

I think bojanglz is right

Post #8   10/20/09 11:50:04PM   

warglory

Heavyweight Champ

warglory Avatar

Career:535-344
Chips:
You guys have some serious dreams! lol I can't remember the last dream that stuck with me when I woke up. When I do remember them though, they are very bizarre.

Post #9   10/23/09 5:54:23PM   

TimW001

MMA Sensei

TimW001 Avatar

Career:724-436
Chips:
Yea I noticed in dreams my punches are never ever hard. And when it happens it's a familiar feeling, because it's happened in so many dreams. No matter what, I even feel myself wind up, but I just tap their chin. I even once tried to slam a kid, and I couldn't.

I actually think it may have to do with if your hands are inside the blanket or not.

Once while I was sleeping I kneed my girlfriend. And It was pretty weak...I actually hev no idea where I'm going with this anymore.

Post #10   10/24/09 3:01:18AM   

Aaronno9

King in the North

Aaronno9 Avatar

Career:798-457
Chips:
Ha, Tim just reminded me of something.... Im not sure If I was dreaming of choking somebody in my sleep, but when I first got with my former girlfriend, I woke up in the middle of the night twice with her in a really tight one armed choke. Like litterally, she couldnt breathe at all. Im not sure I could choke somebody so strongly with my full effort while I was awake. It was actually a pretty scarey experiance.

Post #11   10/24/09 6:30:00AM