Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Bellator strikes landmark broadcasting deal with FOX Sports Net, NBC and Telemundo

Print  
Posted By Message

emfleek

FA-Q

emfleek Avatar

Career:2,304-1,218
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
Bellator Fighting Championships will shift from its original home on Spanish-language ESPN Deportes to FOX Sports Net, NBC and Telemundo for the next two seasons, the U.S.-based mixed-martial-arts promotion today announced.

Live events will air Thursday nights on FOX Sports Net affiliates, and highlights packages will run Saturday nights on both NBC and the Spanish-language Telemundo.

"It was my dream scenario," Bellator CEO Bjorn Rebney admitted to MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) about the landmark broadcast alliance.

The deal with FOX Sports Net and NBC Universal (which owns both NBC and Telemundo) kicks off with the 12-week season two of Bellator, which commences April 8, and continues into season three, which begins Aug. 12.

LINK

Post #1   10/20/09 8:28:24AM   

Jesse_Canadian_MMA

Belt Contender

Jesse_Canadian_MMA Avatar

Career:1,776-1,097
Camp: Canadian Fight Club
Chips:
WOW awesome, I know what Im watching Thursday nights

Post #2   10/20/09 2:47:31PM   

george112

The Playground OG

george112 Avatar

Career:1,237-808
Camp: Playground Legends
Chips:
Awesome news.

i see this promotion going somewhere

Post #3   10/20/09 2:55:46PM   

emfleek

FA-Q

emfleek Avatar

Career:2,304-1,218
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
I just hope they're not doing too much, too fast. With barely any fighters on their roster with recognizable names, I personally think it's going to be pretty hard to maintain the public's interest.

Post #4   10/20/09 2:58:28PM   

george112

The Playground OG

george112 Avatar

Career:1,237-808
Camp: Playground Legends
Chips:

Posted by emfleek

I just hope they're not doing too much, too fast. With barely any fighters on their roster with recognizable names, I personally think it's going to be pretty hard to maintain the public's interest.

true.but the backing of a huge broadcast company is a definite plus.
its all gonna come down to marketing and advertising.if they do it right people will curb their curiosity and check it out.hopefully theyll stay hooked

Post #5   10/20/09 3:48:59PM   

IriShame

In Full Mount

IriShame Avatar

Career:558-331
Chips:
At least they have the advantage of having built up a huge library of highlight reel footage.

Post #6   10/20/09 6:05:48PM   

bojangalz

The Original Playground Bully

bojangalz Avatar

Career:1,553-840
Chips:

Posted by emfleek

If you ask me, given the format of the shows and the business model of the promotion I think it lends itself very well to NOT having superstars. People have a tendancy to remember sports in segments or seasons. Bellator delivers on that concept in a way that will be very easy for a casual fan to adopt.

They can have a quick rundown show with chronicles last "season's" tourny and introduces the winners to the masses. These guys immediately become the stars of the promotion. Casual fans are not only going to remember these winners, but they are going to find themselves attached to the winners from this season as well. When you can follow fighters through three fights into a championship over the course of a very short three months you get acustom to seeing them on a very regular basis. And you're bound to start picking favorites to root for.

As long as Bellator stay true to the formula, and have network deals in place as they do now; the winners will likely become "stars" by default to the fans who follow on a regular basis.

Not to mention the fact that they had very little star-power last season and look what kind of product they brought to the masses. Serious props to Bellator on this one. I've been waiting to hear this news for a while now.

Last edited 10/20/09 10:40PM server time by bojangalz
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #7   10/20/09 10:38:29PM