Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Im new to MMA.....

Print  
Posted By Message

JJEH

Learning to Sprawl

Career:-
Chips:
If im right handed and im stand up fighting would the correct stance be my right foot behind me and my left foot in the front.....so when i throw a punch with my right hand i bring my right foot forward with it?
Like this guy is standing? would you say he is right handed?

Image Attachment(s):

Photo Attachment 1

Post #1   10/19/09 10:14:11PM   

JJEH

Learning to Sprawl

Chips:
anyone?

Post #2   10/19/09 10:20:09PM   

spikerman19

Standup Guy

spikerman19 Avatar

Career:266-174
Camp: Norcal Fight Team
Chips:
I always found great power by stepping with my left foot and throwing an overhand right simultaneously.

Post #3   10/19/09 10:25:06PM   

JJEH

Learning to Sprawl

Chips:

Posted by spikerman19

I always found great power by stepping with my left foot and throwing an overhand right simultaneously.

Thanks for your help and i dont mean to sound like a di*k head by any means but my i was asking is that the correct stance for a right handed fighter (like the guy in that pic is standing) thx

Post #4   10/19/09 10:29:10PM   

sbulldavid

Heavyweight Champ

sbulldavid Avatar

Career:1,358-789
Camp: Playground Legends
Chips:
Yes that is a right handed stance.

Last edited 10/19/09 10:47PM server time by sbulldavid
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #5   10/19/09 10:44:53PM   

jae_1833

TTTHS

jae_1833 Avatar

Career:2,497-1,576
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
Ignore him man. Serious advice though.....go somewhere to get trained! Even if it's a local gym teacher who can teach you the basics of boxing. Take time to invest in being in shape, find better coaches as you go along, and learn as much as you can in all aspects of the game. Fight amatuer fights for a couple of years before attempting to go pro. Don't let your ego stop you from fullfilling your dreams. Good luck!

Edit: Oh and just so you don't look foolish anymore, that guy is George St. Pierre....the greatest Welterweight of our times and current champion in the UFC.

Last edited 10/20/09 2:04AM server time by jae_1833

Post #6   10/20/09 2:03:06AM   

bayonetxwork

In Full Mount

bayonetxwork Avatar

Career:114-60
Camp: TUFFS Fight Club
Chips:
lol you don't even need to be at the level of new to mma to know this one...or research it...

Post #7   10/20/09 3:01:55PM   

JJEH

Learning to Sprawl

Chips:

Posted by jae_1833

Ignore him man. Serious advice though.....go somewhere to get trained! Even if it's a local gym teacher who can teach you the basics of boxing. Take time to invest in being in shape, find better coaches as you go along, and learn as much as you can in all aspects of the game. Fight amatuer fights for a couple of years before attempting to go pro. Don't let your ego stop you from fullfilling your dreams. Good luck!

Edit: Oh and just so you don't look foolish anymore, that guy is George St. Pierre....the greatest Welterweight of our times and current champion in the UFC.

Thank you man, and about the fighter I honestly did know who this was because when I saved the picture it was titled as George St. Perre....but thanks alot.

And Im going to get my friend to post the video of us MMA'ing and see who you guys think won....he got in more hits but I brought the blood by busting his nose it was swollen but on the other hand it was only a stand up fight cause it was both our 1st times and it was for fun.

Post #8   10/20/09 5:14:12PM   

JJEH

Learning to Sprawl

Chips:

Posted by bayonetxwork

lol you don't even need to be at the level of new to mma to know this one...or research it...

Hard to believe, but I did do research and I couldnt find anything, and I thought that was a right handed stance but my friend disagreed that why I posted this topic.

Post #9   10/20/09 5:15:45PM   

Jackelope

Go ahead, MOD my day

Jackelope Avatar

Career:864-486
Chips:
This is going to seem mean as hell, but I've got to tell you this-

I know it's hard, and it costs a lot of money, but seriously man you need to get with a trainer. If you don't even know what a proper stance looks like and you're really in your back yard "MMA'ing" with your buddy and breaking each others' noses, then you're participating in something very dangerous that I absolutely will not condone on this message board. You're setting a very dangerous precedent for others to follow and you're not using your head.

MMA is not football. You can't just go out, buy a couple of gloves, and beat the piss out of each other in a back yard somewhere the same way you can go out, buy a football, and throw it back and forth.

I'm sure you're young as hell and this all seems cool to you, but do it right. Trust me. You don't want to be an ugly sumbitch walking around school with a busted nose and a black eye. Let alone be the one with permanent scar tissue when you're 20 something because you gave each other huge cuts and never had them stitched up. Not to mention the fact that you may end up on the news as an example of why MMA is bad. One thing you'll learn as soon as you start training for real is that people who do that are nothing short of idiotic, and they're putting themselves at risk for serious harm.

In one sense this is just like any other sport, though. Nobody is going to become an NBA Hall of Famer by backyard balling with their buddies. They need to come up through the system playing hoops on actual teams. Learning strategies, learning how to ball correctly, and doing so with the support they need. Don't be a 5 o'clock news guy. Get a trainer.

Last edited 10/20/09 8:30PM server time by Jackelope

Post #10   10/20/09 8:30:01PM   

Rush

Laying down the beats

Rush Avatar

Career:759-539
Chips:

Posted by Jackelope

I know it's hard, and it costs a lot of money, but seriously man you need to get with a trainer. If you don't even know what a proper stance looks like and you're really in your back yard "MMA'ing" with your buddy and breaking each others' noses, then you're participating in something very dangerous that I absolutely will not condone on this message board. You're setting a very dangerous precedent for others to follow and you're not using your head.

MMA is not football. You can't just go out, buy a couple of gloves, and beat the piss out of each other in a back yard somewhere the same way you can go out, buy a football, and throw it back and forth.

I'm sure you're young as hell and this all seems cool to you, but do it right. Trust me. You don't want to be an ugly sumbitch walking around school with a busted nose and a black eye. Let alone be the one with permanent scar tissue when you're 20 something because you gave each other huge cuts and never had them stitched up. Not to mention the fact that you may end up on the news as an example of why MMA is bad. One thing you'll learn as soon as you start training for real is that people who do that are nothing short of idiotic, and they're putting themselves at risk for serious harm.

In one sense this is just like any other sport, though. Nobody is going to become an NBA Hall of Famer by backyard balling with their buddies. They need to come up through the system playing hoops on actual teams. Learning strategies, learning how to ball correctly, and doing so with the support they need. Don't be a 5 o'clock news guy. Get a trainer.

I totally agree with this. Don't be stubborn and learn from real people that are experts.

However, I'll give you a simple answer to your question anyways.

This is not written in stone because some people can switch sides. For example, I throw better leg kicks from orthodox stances, but better body kicks from South paw. I consider myself pretty ambidextrous with my stances, which I attribute to my wrestling-judo background and the fact that I am right handed, but left eye dominant.

Back to your question.

Right handed people typically fight in what is called orthodox stance. This is a stance where your left foot leads. You would jab with your lead hand (left) and cross with your right (your power hand). Left handed people fight South paw, where the lead foot, hand are reversed from orthodox.

Now, where it gets a little more complex in MMA, is that orthodox for wresting or judo is typically leading with the right foot. This is where some right handed wrestlers can really be predictable; leading with the left if they plan on striking and leading with the right if they plan on shooting.

I hope that answers your question, but really you need to consult a professional for training. Avoid training with friends using instructional videos and UFC footage. Putting the risk of injury aside, you will only develop bad habits and would still get murdered by anyone with real fighting experience.

And please, ask permission before posting pictures of me.

Last edited 10/20/09 9:55PM server time by rush

Post #11   10/20/09 9:22:50PM   

JJEH

Learning to Sprawl

Chips:

Posted by Jackelope

PLEASE READ! I said i thought it was the right stance my friend disagreed so I posted this topic to assure him I was right, on the other hand everything else you said I agree with. But look at Kimbo he was backyard not saying hes good but still he had a shot/ has a shot in the UFC.

Post #12   10/20/09 9:53:27PM   

Jackelope

Go ahead, MOD my day

Jackelope Avatar

Career:864-486
Chips:

Posted by JJEH

PLEASE READ! I said i thought it was the right stance my friend disagreed so I posted this topic to assure him I was right, on the other hand everything else you said I agree with. But look at Kimbo he was backyard not saying hes good but still he had a shot/ has a shot in the UFC.

Kimbo got a shot because Youtube made him popular. We've seen what his abilities are. Anybody in MMA has a puncher's chance, and that's about all Kimbo has in any fight he enters. Even having said that, it's very evident Kimbo was trained to box by someone professionally at one point or another. On top of that even the Kimbo you see now has been trained by a professional mixed martial artist for nearly 2 years now. Look at how bad he's still doing even with 2 years of professional training under his belt.

Kimbo as he is now is a terrible example of an MMA Fighter, even as likable as he is on the show. He's probably a very decent person, but he does not represent MMA accurately. Beating up a bunch of nobodies in someone's backyard or at a boat yard is not what this sport is about. Especially when guys end up bleeding on the asphalt with no doctor available to tend to them. That's what bar fights are about. When a multi-million dollar company banked on Kimbo representing MMA they went bankrupt. That should tell you something. The guy in the picture you posted represents MMA much better and is a trained, professional athlete.

Post #13   10/20/09 11:43:31PM