Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Can CBS bring Fedor to the masses?

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

SmileR

Buy the ticket, take the ride

SmileR Avatar

Career:1,284-761
Chips:
The new CBS commercial featuring Fedor Emelianenko drew a mixed reaction from the MMA faithful this week – a slick product, yes, but late in the game.

The 33-year-old Emelianenko, who faces heavyweight hopeful Brett Rogers Nov. 7 at Strikeforce: Fedor vs. Rogers on CBS, has been the people’s champion for legions of fans who live and breathe the sport.

Most of them, however, know that those outside their circle will spell success or failure for the network event.

CBS had some of both when they promoted three MMA cards last year under the banner of the now-defunct EliteXC. The first and last events, bolstered by Kimbo Slice and Gina Carano, were unqualified ratings triumphs. The second, void of fighters with crossover appeal, drew poorly.

Advertising for the Strikeforce event began a little over a month ago, leading many to question the network’s commitment to the promotion, and by proxy, the sport.

CBS Senior Executive Vice President Kelly Kahl said his network will put its best foot forward in the buildup to Nov. 7, but asked the faithful to help CBS hit a home run.

“MMA fans seem to seek a greater acceptance, and nothing helps better than calling your friends and saying ‘you’ve got to check this out,’” he said.

The network ran several 10-second spots for the event during the past two weekends of NFL coverage, the first salvo in what Kahl said was the start of a comprehensive campaign. He said the network was assembling footage for new promotional spots and said the volume – and scope – of advertising would be increasing shortly, expanding to cable, radio, and the web.

Link

Last edited 10/18/09 8:23AM server time by SmileR
Edit note/reason: n/a

I was born to lead, not to read!!!!

Post #1   10/18/09 8:22:49AM   

EvenFlow

banned

EvenFlow Avatar

Career:432-232
Chips:
Of corse they can his fights speak for themselves, and thats why I think its a good idea to have him in Strikeforce first, to get his name to the American public. Brock vs Fedor now would honestly sell half as much as it will when Fedor's contract is done and he's demolished Rogers, Werdum/Bigfoot and Overeem on CBS On top of that if Brock keeps winning, that super fight will be the highest selling ppv ever in a year or two, and lets be honest Brock is still green, let's let him grow as a fighter a little bit. Let's also stop hating on Strikeforce and M-1 and realize once those 3 mentioned are done in by Fedor he'll have nowhere to go except the UFC.

Post #2   10/18/09 9:41:26AM   

breakdown5

MMA Sensei

breakdown5 Avatar

Career:877-464
Chips:
Doesn't Zuffa own Fedor's old footage from PRIDE? If so, its no wonder they are having promo problems as far as footage. They could use his two fights in Affliction for it I guess, but doesn't really give them a lot to work with.

Post #3   10/18/09 9:49:18AM   

MMAcca

Heavyweight Champ

MMAcca Avatar

Career:1,738-1,026
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:

Posted by breakdown5

Doesn't Zuffa own Fedor's old footage from PRIDE? If so, its no wonder they are having promo problems as far as footage. They could use his two fights in Affliction for it I guess, but doesn't really give them a lot to work with.

Doesn't Zuffa own the Affliction footage too, or did Fedor manage to keep the right his own footage ?

Post #4   10/18/09 10:08:16AM   

postman

Heavyweight Champ

postman Avatar

Career:746-420
Chips:

Posted by MMAcca

Posted by breakdown5

Doesn't Zuffa own the Affliction footage too, or did Fedor manage to keep the right his own footage ?

Thats what I was thinking too. HMC fight? (KPro would have to sign off on that) Matt Linland fight? I don't know there isn't much for them to use.

Post #5   10/18/09 11:03:17AM   

breakdown5

MMA Sensei

breakdown5 Avatar

Career:877-464
Chips:

Posted by MMAcca

Posted by breakdown5

Actually I think you're right now that mention it. Good luck CBS using shadowy shots of Fedor standing in a warehouse or something instead of him actually crushing people.

Post #6   10/18/09 11:10:45AM   

kopower

Heavyweight Champ

kopower Avatar

Career:2,200-1,190
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
My question is...What finish will be best for the Strikeforce organization and CBS? I'm assuming they are hoping Fedor wins but as far as ratings go, how do you think they want him to win? Do they want another first round victory or would a 5 round slugfest be best?

It's tough for me to decide because on one hand a quick sub or ko by Fedor shows that he could be considered the best P4P fighter in the world. A slugfest with a relatively unknown fighter may draw interest and ratings but hurt Fedor's image of being unstoppable. Finally, a loss to Rogers is probably the last thing Strikeforce wants but could also gain a huge buzz and make headlines worldwide.

What you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in the playground is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no props, and may the mods have mercy on your soul.

Post #7   10/18/09 11:37:45AM   

EvenFlow

banned

EvenFlow Avatar

Chips:
Let me rephrase since it's being a little skewed. What I was trying to say in my first sentence was the hype on commericials etc. isnt gonna matter when he actually gets in the cage and woops ass, thats going to be his hype not some old footage thats old news and irelevant to new fans anyway.

If they market him correctly as in hes the best of all time, and has a mysterious aura to him, the supposed fans should be inquisitive enough to look up a fight or two if they've been living in the dark for the past 1-8 years about MMA or to tune in and see what the "big deal is."

Post #8   10/18/09 12:03:47PM   

postman

Heavyweight Champ

postman Avatar

Career:746-420
Chips:

Posted by EvenFlow

Let me rephrase since it's being a little skewed. What I was trying to say in my first sentence was the hype on commericials etc. isnt gonna matter when he actually gets in the cage and woops ass, thats going to be his hype not some old footage thats old news and irelevant to new fans anyway.

If they market him correctly as in hes the best of all time, and has a mysterious aura to him, the supposed fans should be inquisitive enough to look up a fight or two if they've been living in the dark for the past 1-8 years about MMA or to tune in and see what the "big deal is."

Or they could just call Ken Shamrock or Kurt Angle and have him woop that ass.

Post #9   10/18/09 12:09:49PM   

Jesse_Canadian_MMA

Belt Contender

Jesse_Canadian_MMA Avatar

Career:1,772-1,096
Camp: Canadian Fight Club
Chips:
is Fedor fighting???lol I'm looking forward to seeing Mousasi tap Sokodjou and then tap Dan Henderson on the next cbs event :)

Post #10   10/18/09 12:18:37PM   

EvenFlow

banned

EvenFlow Avatar

Chips:

Posted by postman

Posted by EvenFlow

Or they could just call Ken Shamrock or Kurt Angle and have him woop that ass.

Hahaha I'd like to see that Angle fight just to see Angle get embarressed grappling.

Post #11   10/18/09 12:40:02PM   

AnDeRsonDaSiLvA

BANNED

AnDeRsonDaSiLvA Avatar

Career:510-259
Chips:
Afflictions baddest man on the planet video had plenty of footage from pride....

Post #12   10/18/09 1:59:20PM   

Aether

Heavyweight Champ

Aether Avatar

Career:946-505
Chips:
I know that Zuffa owns the PRIDE footage, but I believe that the Affliction events were co-promoted with M-1 and as a result they probably both have rights to that footage. I'm not sure, but that would make sense.

I'm guessing they're going to have 1 or 2 new commercials a week that build up as the fight gets closer. They seem to have started this almost exactly 3 weeks before the fight, which is probably a good idea, because if they had started advertising him 2 months beforehand, people might simply become disinterested. If they do what it looks like they're doing, this could be a really effective marketing campaign.

Post #13   10/18/09 4:15:16PM   

RearNakedJoke

In Full Mount

RearNakedJoke Avatar

Career:1,223-863
Chips:
yea ufc used affliction footage to hype the belfort/franklin fight. pretty sure they own that too.

Post #14   10/18/09 6:18:00PM   

warglory

Heavyweight Champ

warglory Avatar

Career:535-344
Chips:
Affliction probably owns the footage, but since they are back in the good graces of Zuffa, they probably allowed the use of their footage.

Post #15   10/19/09 1:39:03AM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2