Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Henderson, UFC Fail To Come To Terms

Print  
  Page 1 of 3     1     2     3  
Posted By Message

Bowen50

The Talent

Bowen50 Avatar

Career:1,098-650
Chips:
Dan Henderson’s career with the Ultimate Fighting Championship has ground to a close in a contract stalemate, and the former two-division PRIDE champion appears on the verge of signing a deal with the rival Strikeforce promotion.

Henderson, 39, devastatingly knocked out Michael Bisping in the second round of their heavily hyped fight on July 11 at UFC 100 in Las Vegas, in the final fight of his contract.

Link

Post #1   10/17/09 11:39:35AM   

State_Champ

MMA Sensei

State_Champ Avatar

Career:1,418-848
Camp: The Evil Empire
Chips:

Post #2   10/17/09 12:17:54PM   

matt_black

MMA Regular

matt_black Avatar

Career:467-269
Chips:
This is bullshit...i dont understand why they would let Dan go, the only thing i can think of is he wants an obscene amount of money or something...otherwise i'm perplexed as to why the ufc wont come to terms with him.

This is the first time i'v been truly disappointed to see someone go, and its not even like he's a boring fighter who coasts to decisions, he makes for an exciting fight.

Post #3   10/17/09 1:25:21PM   

chickmagnet

MMA Sensei

chickmagnet Avatar

Career:529-344
Camp: The Pit
Chips:
Look on the bright side.If he signs with Strikeforce, this could set up Hendo vs. Mousasi @ lhw

Post #4   10/17/09 1:30:09PM   

D0wnUnd6e6r

Don't Eat The Yellow Snow

D0wnUnd6e6r Avatar

Career:1,961-1,087
Chips:
This move would be HUGE for strikeforce

Post #5   10/17/09 1:57:10PM   

Jackelope

Go ahead, MOD my day

Jackelope Avatar

Career:864-486
Chips:
I just checked the buyrate for UFC 93. It was only 350,000 compared to several other events in the UFC 90-100 range that capped 500k easily and even 1 million in some cases. You could see the UFC using numbers like that as leverage against Dan Henderson.

Even back to UFC 82 when Hendo fought Silva for the title it was only a 325k buyrate. That's a sad testament to the fact that the casual fan just isn't really that interested in Hendo.

I think stuff could change, though. After he got exposure on TUF he gained a lot of new fans, and the Bisping KO will go down as one of the most brutal KO's in MMA history. He's definitely worth top draw money IMO

Post #6   10/17/09 2:01:28PM   

fullfighting

MMA Regular

fullfighting Avatar

Career:151-94
Chips:
Pathetic. Hendo is one of the most legit guys in the sport. Going to have to grit my teeth and deal with it when Dana comes out and tries to tell anyone who will listen that Hendo isnt that good. You know Dana will trash him.

Post #7   10/17/09 2:10:32PM   

SmileR

Buy the ticket, take the ride

SmileR Avatar

Career:1,284-761
Chips:

Posted by Jackelope

I just checked the buyrate for UFC 93. It was only 350,000 compared to several other events in the UFC 90-100 range that capped 500k easily and even 1 million in some cases. You could see the UFC using numbers like that as leverage against Dan Henderson.

Even back to UFC 82 when Hendo fought Silva for the title it was only a 325k buyrate. That's a sad testament to the fact that the casual fan just isn't really that interested in Hendo.

I think stuff could change, though. After he got exposure on TUF he gained a lot of new fans, and the Bisping KO will go down as one of the most brutal KO's in MMA history. He's definitely worth top draw money IMO

I was just going to post something similar, but I think this is a failing on the UFC's part not Hendo's.
If you look at the fights he's been in not one has been boring since he signed with the UFC. He took Rampage to a very close decision, took a round fro the most dominant champ at MW, tooled Palhares and steam rolled Bisping. Thats a impressive run. The only real black mark on his UFC career is his fight with Franklin (which I think he lost) but he still showed class after.

If the UFC had marketed him in a similar way to Randy he could have been a huge draw!
Its a bad loss for the UFC but they will be fine without him.

I was born to lead, not to read!!!!

Post #8   10/17/09 2:11:08PM   

1daveufc

Standup Guy

1daveufc Avatar

Career:612-433
Camp: East Coast Pitbulls
Chips:

Posted by chickmagnet

Look on the bright side.If he signs with Strikeforce, this could set up Hendo vs. Mousasi @ lhw

Yeah and a think Hendo wud win by ko.I canit get over this but am not suprised at all.Dana shud of just give Hendo what he wanted instead of giving strikeforce what they want and that is the best fighters around.

Post #9   10/17/09 2:26:29PM   

Jesse_Canadian_MMA

Belt Contender

Jesse_Canadian_MMA Avatar

Career:1,776-1,097
Camp: Canadian Fight Club
Chips:
Henderson -vs- Mousasi is huge and expected now, thats the next strikeforce main event after the 7th for sure

oh and Mousasi by 2nd rd sub

Post #10   10/17/09 2:40:12PM   

Wallass

MMA Sensei

Wallass Avatar

Career:2,155-1,264
Camp: Canada's Finest
Chips:
I can see the UFC using buyrate stats of events where he main evented to their advantage but I think that is unfair. At 82 Henderson was coming off a decision loss and anytime you have someone getting a title shot after a loss there is going to be a lot of people who dont want to see even if he does hold the Pride title. Plus Anderson wasnt a big draw then either so its not totally Dan's fault. And 93 was aired on tape delay or on at 2pm. Anytime you can check result s before the main showing even airs is obviously going to influence even watching the fight. Anyways Im going to miss Dan The Man and I think this would be a massive signing for Strikeforce if they can land him, he's got a lot of good fights left and he is a bonafide main eventer. He'll make Dana pay for not resigning him.

Post #11   10/17/09 2:55:21PM   

hotrodttt

Ridin the MMA WW since 02 !

hotrodttt Avatar

Career:2,549-1,359
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
This is truely tragic for the ufc. They failed to sign arguably the number one contender. But where else would Hendo go? Strikeforce? No, what makes you think that Strikeforce has the money to match what Hendo wants, and the UFC doesn't. There is no way Hendo would sign with Strikeforce. Why would he, they have like 5 good guys in their promotion between them and Dream. It would be a really bad move for Hendo.

Post #12   10/17/09 2:56:28PM   

scobac

BANNED

scobac Avatar

Career:165-137
Chips:

Posted by hotrodttt

This is truely tragic for the ufc. They failed to sign arguably the number one contender. But where else would Hendo go? Strikeforce? No, what makes you think that Strikeforce has the money to match what Hendo wants, and the UFC doesn't. There is no way Hendo would sign with Strikeforce. Why would he, they have like 5 good guys in their promotion between them and Dream. It would be a really bad move for Hendo.

I agree with this.

As I see it is UFC or retire and I dont believe retirement is an option right now (I sure hope not anyway). When the dust clears I think we'll have Hendo back in the UFC via Submission to UFC brass.

Hopefully he atleast gets a piece of the pie he is asking for. He probably dosnt have much time left in the sport and he should be able to go off and live in absolute comfort with his family without any $ worries.

EDIT: Hall of famer for sure if you ask me, and that deserves something.

UFC take care of the guys that did the work in the trenches to build this sport and make it exciting.

Last edited 10/17/09 3:31PM server time by scobac
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #13   10/17/09 3:28:21PM   

hotrodttt

Ridin the MMA WW since 02 !

hotrodttt Avatar

Career:2,549-1,359
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:

Posted by scobac

Posted by hotrodttt

I agree with this.

As I see it is UFC or retire and I dont believe retirement is an option right now (I sure hope not anyway). When the dust clears I think we'll have Hendo back in the UFC via Submission to UFC brass.

Hopefully he atleast gets a piece of the pie he is asking for. He probably dosnt have much time left in the sport and he should be able to go off and live in absolute comfort with his family without any $ worries.

EDIT: Hall of famer for sure if you ask me, and that deserves something.

UFC take care of the guys that did the work in the trenches to build this sport and make it exciting.

Yeah Hendo could retire if he wanted too, he has a mansion and a ranch but he still feels good and still has the desire to fight and compete for the belt.

Post #14   10/17/09 3:48:24PM   

clintjack

MMA Regular

clintjack Avatar

Career:851-536
Chips:
So who does Marquardt fight next then?

Post #15   10/17/09 3:48:38PM   

Page 1 of 3     1     2     3