Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Henderson still open to UFC, but ready to go

Print  
Posted By Message

ThaAxeMurderer7

MMA Sensei

ThaAxeMurderer7 Avatar

Career:1,277-814
Chips:
Dan Henderson hasn’t closed any doors yet with the UFC, but he’s ready to move on if necessary.

Henderson, 39, fought the last fight of his latest contract at UFC 100, knocking out fellow “The Ultimate Fighter” coach Michael Bisping in the second round.

A Friday report from Yahoo! Sports said that UFC president Dana White has been unable to come to terms on a new contract with Henderson, all but confirming an exit for the former two-division Pride champion.

Link

EDIT: According to mania, it looks like Dan may be headed to Strikeforce.

Link

Last edited 10/16/09 9:17PM server time by ThaAxeMurderer7
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #1   10/16/09 9:13:49PM   

IriShame

In Full Mount

IriShame Avatar

Career:558-331
Chips:
Don't let this guy go Dana! He's top ten in two different weight classes, a perenial contender, and one of the most exciting fighters around.

On top of that the guy's entering the twilight of his career, it's not like you have to cough up the big bucks for years to come. Dan's probably got 5 or 6 fights left in him. After that he'll be at least 40 years old and likely considering retirement. Until then, pay the man!

Post #2   10/16/09 9:19:38PM   

Jackelope

Go ahead, MOD my day

Jackelope Avatar

Career:864-486
Chips:
Good read. Hendo is being a classy businessman about all of this, and that's something you definitely have to give him credit for.

I almost wonder if the UFC released a statement about Dan Henderson just to get the fans' reaction for how much they'll miss Hendo. If that's the case, then UFC know this- I'M PISSED! Hendo is one of your top athletes, and you're going to just let him go? WTF?!

Jokes aside and rationality returned- I do feel this would be a huge loss to the UFC, and a massive gain for Strikeforce. I wonder if they are even capable of paying him what he deserves? He would definitely be worth it considering he's arguably the #2 MW in the world and most definitely in the top 5. Hell, that goes for LHW, too. A signing like this takes Strikeforce from irrelevant to relevant overnight.

This is also another important battle for the entire MMA world, and it's only ironic that it comes from yet another Team Quest founder. What is the UFC willing to do in order to have the very best athletes in the world as a part of their stable? Any MW who gets a shot at the belt with Dan Henderson fighting somewhere else is now subject to the "Well, if Dan Henderson were in the UFC he would never make it past him...." argument. Very interesting stuff going on in the MMA world right here.

Post #3   10/16/09 9:21:57PM   

WheelchairBandit

Standup Guy

WheelchairBandit Avatar

Career:667-394
Camp: MMAForReal.com
Chips:
Wow,how stupid can Dana and the boys be?Dan is a huge fan favorite,just coached a season of TUF and then racked up a KO of the Year on one of your biggest cards ever.And you're going to let this guy go so you can have the cash to sign three or four more 4-1 scrubs who you'll end up cutting after one or two fights?

C'mon!

WB.

Post #4   10/16/09 9:28:06PM   

Twenty20Dollars

Heavyweight Champ

Career:1,572-1,001
Chips:
So if hendo doesnt return to the UFC, then would anderson actually be open to fight vitor?

Post #5   10/16/09 9:54:42PM   

kopower

Heavyweight Champ

kopower Avatar

Career:2,215-1,196
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
Can we say Hendo vs Mousasi

What you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in the playground is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no props, and may the mods have mercy on your soul.

Post #6   10/16/09 10:37:54PM   

prozacnation1978

Heavyweight Champ

prozacnation1978 Avatar

Career:2,320-1,237
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
man i am bummed hendo might leave
rampage now this
it just sucks when fighters leave
ufc has tons and tons of money they can easily pay hendo

Post #7   10/16/09 11:08:28PM   

Doneskiis

MMA Regular

Doneskiis Avatar

Career:245-173
Chips:
after the last fight with bisping i dont see how you could let him go. hopefully he gets signed again.

Post #8   10/17/09 12:22:54AM   

StriderXero

Standup Guy

StriderXero Avatar

Career:88-80
Chips:
If he signs with Strikeforce, is there a possibilty we'll see him at Dynamite!! 2009? I would love to see Hendo fight in Dream aswell, just to see the fans reactions to him going back to Japan.

Post #9   10/17/09 12:26:45AM   

mrsmiley

Heavyweight Champ

mrsmiley Avatar

Career:1,446-842
Camp: Nutthuggers Suck
Chips:
This is just bad.
How and the hell can they let Hendo go?
He just KTFO'd the UK's biggest poster boy and made it look easy.

Pay the man!

Post #10   10/17/09 6:24:29AM   

dangerfield

MMA Regular

dangerfield Avatar

Career:385-223
Chips:
I said it was about money

He's been in the game along time and wants big bucks, and he deserves big bucks

But how big?

If he's looking for Couture, Lesnar, GSP money, even Tito money it'd be too much. sad to say.

He's a legend. A top tire fighter. But a massive draw on their level? Not even close if we're honest.

Its stupid if the UFC let him go but its stupid if they pay him some huge check he can't reimburse them for. They already made that mistake with Vera

My question is whether Strikeforce can afford to pay him THAT money, if that is what he wants, and would they be willing to?

Unfortunately we might have another Fedor situation, where its a toss up between paying a guy what he's worth talent-wise and morally, and what he's worth financially.
Like to se some figures before I take sides, just hope they can sort it. Hendo's a baddass!

Last edited 10/17/09 8:37AM server time by dangerfield
Edit note/reason: Can't spell fo shid
2 total post edits

Post #11   10/17/09 8:34:21AM   

SmileR

Buy the ticket, take the ride

SmileR Avatar

Career:1,284-761
Chips:
I don't think this is a good move for Hendo, I know he's a top 3 MW and top 10 LHW but his career is in its twilight and he's not going to find the same money fighting elsewhere.

Sponsors pay the best for the fighters that fight in the UFC. The UFC arguably have the best pay and he was picking up $250,000 a fight which isn't too bad.
I understand he's a top contender and a tough fight for even the champs but I honestly don't see him beating either of the belt holders in his devisions.
If he goes to Strikeforce and fights 4 or 5 more times he wont get the exposure the UFC offers so he wont make the same sponsor money.

On the other hand the UFC should realize just how good Hendo still is and offer him more. I personally think letting him go would be a mistake and strengthen Strikeforces position as a contender to the UFC.

I was born to lead, not to read!!!!

Post #12   10/17/09 10:18:29AM   

Jackelope

Go ahead, MOD my day

Jackelope Avatar

Career:864-486
Chips:
Something to think about is the fact that Hendo's main sponsor is his own company which is a pretty solidified brand at this point. He's working with TapouT now, too... so I don't think you're going to see the end of clinch gear should Hendo not fight in the UFC.

Again, I still think Hendo will end up fighting for the UFC, but this is just more stuff to think about.

Post #13   10/17/09 10:52:51AM   

george112

The Playground OG

george112 Avatar

Career:1,205-781
Camp: The Original Gangsters
Chips:
i really dont mind henderson leaving the UFC.not because i dont want to see him there.but because it will just give Strikeforce another huge name.I want Strikeforce to succeed and if signing henderson will help that im all for it.

also i would like to see him in Strikeforce because of the different match-ups i would be potentially seeing.as of late it kind of seems like everything is stuck in a loop in the UFC with about 4-5 of same fighters fighting each other again.OR they just keep wanting re-matches with the same fighters.

bottom line.

if henderson signs with Strikeforce its all good with me.

if henderson makes a deal with the UFC its still all good with me

Post #14   10/17/09 11:18:48AM   

SmileR

Buy the ticket, take the ride

SmileR Avatar

Career:1,284-761
Chips:
I never thought of it like that. But it also means his company will get more promotion fighting in the bigger events. I hope he stays with the UFC, Strikeforce is hard to get over here and Hendo is always good to watch.

I was born to lead, not to read!!!!

Post #15   10/17/09 11:21:39AM