Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

UFC Quick Quote: Eric Schafer ready for a stress-free night against Ryan Bader

Print  
Posted By Message

ThaAxeMurderer7

MMA Sensei

ThaAxeMurderer7 Avatar

Career:1,277-814
Chips:
“I’m definitely more experienced than he is in striking. I’ve been training striking since ‘96; probably since he was in junior high school. This may be the first guy I might not be able to take down, so I might have to show (my striking) a lot more than you normally see it. Definitely my biggest edge is that he won the reality show but he’s only had one UFC fight after that. So he’s really 1-0 in the UFC. He’s never been in there with a big name yet and never had those big fights, and I had to learn that myself. I’m working my striking a lot more and my defensive Jiu-Jitsu off my back. I’ll let him decide where it goes. I’m working my wrestling a lot less offensively, because again, he’s an All-American wrestler, so I don’t want to waste all my energy trying to take him down. So it should be a lot more fun and a lot less stress.”

Eric Schafer sounds off to BSN Online about his pending 205-pound battle against Ultimate Fighter (TUF) star Ryan Bader at UFC 104 from the Staples Center in Los Angeles on October 26.

Link

Post #1   10/16/09 12:28:26PM   

PABLOMAFIOSO

In Full Mount

PABLOMAFIOSO Avatar

Career:979-657
Chips:
Bader is going to breeze this. Schafer is a measuring stick in the UFC rankings and will be put away IMO.

Post #2   10/16/09 7:58:06PM   

Jackelope

Go ahead, MOD my day

Jackelope Avatar

Career:864-486
Chips:
This is very smart of Schafer, especially giving up on the wrestling. There is absolutely 0 chance that he will outwrestle Bader IMO. It'll be interesting to see how he operates off his back and how he deals with Ryan's power.

Post #3   10/16/09 8:07:52PM   

jiujitsufreak74

,,[],, *******,,[],,

jiujitsufreak74 Avatar

Career:1,056-572
Chips:
For me, it is exactly what Shafer touched on that has my curiosity: how does Bader's striking match up with Schafer's? we haven't really seen much of Schafer's hands, and i don't know how he uses angles or how he counters off strikes because he always goes into the fight looking to take it to the ground. i am curious to see if he wins the exchanges on the feet and forces the TD from Bader, because in that case Bader is more susceptible to the sub than if Bader decided to take him down on his own terms. this fight intrigues me quite a bit and i can't wait to see how Bader handles it; i really like watching his progression as a mixed martial artist

Post #4   10/16/09 8:15:47PM   

CwB

MMA Sensei

CwB Avatar

Career:221-151
Chips:
I think he is telling the 100% truth and it sounds like a smart gameplan. But what isnt smart is posting his game plan online. Misdirection seems like the smarter idea (Like saying he believes Bader's wrestling is overated and that he plans on taking him down right away).

Then again this statement might actually be misdirection, and by saying this he hopes that Bader will put all of his focus on his developing striking instead of his sub defense. But like I said I think Schaffer is telling the truth here.

Post #5   10/16/09 8:32:26PM