Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Rumor: Varner-Cerrone 2 Maybe Next With Henderson Hurt

Print  
  Page 2 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

State_Champ

MMA Sensei

State_Champ Avatar

Career:1,555-917
Camp: The Evil Empire
Chips:

Posted by xdanish020

Posted by State_Champ

What!?!

why would Cerrone get to fight for the title after losing to Henderson!?!
There is no way that a fighter coming of a loss should get a title shot! Not even in this situation..... If you get championship fights for losing then what's the reward for winning? Apparently the reward is the same as if you lost, so why bust your ass trying to win.

This would just be wrong.

Maybe because Henderson was in the hospital getting an IV immediately after the fight and his left eye was completely swollen shut. I'm not calling him a bitch by any means, but if those were his consequences for fighting in a 5 rd fight....I mean he said it himself, "let's hope we never have to do that again".....while Cowboy is ALWAYS GAME. Not to mention, it was a close fight, decision could have gone either way.

If you don't see why Cerrone would get hte shot at this point then you haven't followed the WEC LW picture enough.

You are exactly right that I haven't been following the LW WEC. Good call!
But I also don' think it makes a bit of difference as I'm just arguing that IMO a loss means you need a win to fight for the belt (in that division)

Otherwise, what's the point of winning?

Post #16   10/16/09 1:33:27PM   

Kpro

I STAB WATERBEDS!

Kpro Avatar

Career:2,663-1,374
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by lohmann

Posted by Kpro

I don't have a problem with it.

What other fight among unbooked fighters is gonna headline the WEC card in December and get halfway decent ratings?

There's still an issue of whether or not Cerrone, who lost his last fight, deserves the challenge. The last time I can remember a fighter coming off a loss fighting for a major title (within Zuffa promotions) was Henderson challenging Anderson Silva, and before that I don't remember any at all except B.J. Penn.

Maybe the Pettis/McCullough fight should have happened sooner.

I dunno, I'm a business major, so everything MMA that I look at is more from a ratings perspective than a rankings perspective. Regardless of Henderson beating Cerrone, now that he's injured, do we think any LW's on the roster would've also beaten Cerrone ?

Post #17   10/16/09 1:50:35PM   

Jackelope

Go ahead, MOD my day

Jackelope Avatar

Career:864-486
Chips:
Being a business major you should also keep this in mind- This is the kind of thing that can hurt a promotion's legitimacy. It steals from the purity of the product and risks alienating fans. This is long term projection type stuff that won't exactly show up on a functional model, but to me it is a very real concern if I'm running the WEC. I think one of the biggest things that has hurt baseball and boxing is the undermining of the sports themselves from the very people who run those sports.

It would be no big deal to line Cerrone up against an easy win in order to justify a title shot for him. On the flip side of that, it would be a huge deal to undermine Henderson, who gained TONS of fans through his performance, by allowing Cerrone to fight for the title without a W under his belt. Plus, the WEC has injury problems enough as it is. Perhaps this is why they should have been building up the rest of their LW division instead of stacking the non-televised undercard with fights like Cerrone vs. McCullough.

Last edited 10/16/09 5:04PM server time by Jackelope
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #18   10/16/09 5:02:51PM   

xdanish020

MMA Sensei

xdanish020 Avatar

Career:2,667-1,427
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
I mean at this point, what's the point of even having a LW belt...it never gets defended, lol

Post #19   10/16/09 5:30:17PM   

Jackelope

Go ahead, MOD my day

Jackelope Avatar

Career:864-486
Chips:
To be fair it hasn't even been a year since Varner last defended his title. He suffered pretty serious injuries, and several of them all at once. BJ Penn didn't defend his title for nearly 15 months and he wasn't even injured.

Post #20   10/16/09 5:42:21PM   

CwB

MMA Sensei

CwB Avatar

Career:221-151
Chips:
One point i think everyone is missing is Cerrone lost a split decision to Varner and lost a very very close decision to henderson. I know he is coming off of a loss, which i do agree hurts the image of the WEC a little, but the fight he lost was for a shot at the title and if the winner cant do it the loser is the next best option (especially in the WEC's case, who has no other current LW contenders)

P.S.
What a coincidence that both of Cerrone's losses are to the current WEC champs who both got injured while beating Cerrone. Even when Cerrone loses he still wins (in a way)

WARNING do not beat Cerrone, it is hazardous to your health

Post #21   10/16/09 8:57:02PM   

Page 2 of 2     1     2