Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

'Shogun' sees Machida as favorite at UFC 104

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

ThaAxeMurderer7

MMA Sensei

ThaAxeMurderer7 Avatar

Career:1,277-814
Chips:
Mauricio “Shogun” Rua knows his place in the UFC 104 main event against light heavyweight champion Lyoto Machida on Oct. 24 at the Staples Center in Los Angeles. Though he has not played it often during his career, he likes his role as the underdog.

“I think Lyoto is the favorite, and rightfully so,” Rua said during a Thursday teleconference. “It’s only right that he’s the favorite. He’s the number one fighter in the weight class and the champion. It gives me a lot of motivation to train hard and do my best, which is the goal of every fighter.”

Link

Post #1   10/15/09 8:29:58PM   

BustedKnuckle

MMA Sensei

BustedKnuckle Avatar

Career:659-381
Chips:
I agree with the Champ on this one. Rua has only KOd a faded Chuck as his most recent win and barley beat Coleman. Lyoto is going to dance circles around him until he finds his range and then Shogun is going to be sucking dust off the Bud Light logo soon after!

Last edited 10/15/09 9:53PM server time by BustedKnuckle
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #2   10/15/09 9:52:49PM   

kopower

Heavyweight Champ

kopower Avatar

Career:2,331-1,251
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
Machida is the favorite but Shogun is a live dog. I really hope he's fully healthy and regains the athleticism he once had. If that's the case then this fight is much closer than many think

What you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in the playground is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no props, and may the mods have mercy on your soul.

Post #3   10/15/09 10:18:43PM   

IriShame

In Full Mount

IriShame Avatar

Career:558-331
Chips:
I was actually going to applaud Shogun for being realistic and not talking unnecessary ****. He's respecting his opponent, who has earned that respect.

Respect to Shogun for showing class.

Last edited 10/16/09 8:58AM server time by emfleek

Post #4   10/16/09 12:39:23AM   

sbulldavid

Heavyweight Champ

sbulldavid Avatar

Career:1,509-889
Camp: Playground Legends
Chips:
Fighters go through injuries and rough periods. Give the man a break, he injures his knee and fights a very game Griffin , Injures his knee again, has surgery then fights Coleman, I don't think he needs any excuses, sure he looked like ****. Sure beating Chuck wasn't what it once was, but did anybody notice the power and snap he had on his kicks, If Machida fights the same way he fought Evans, Shogun is going to catch Machida and finish him. Shogun has the game to counter Machida and if you don't know this you're not a fighter or a real fan.

Last edited 10/16/09 9:11AM server time by emfleek

Post #5   10/16/09 1:32:26AM   

Mattchoo

MMA Regular

Mattchoo Avatar

Career:240-178
Chips:

Posted by sbulldavid
if you don't know this you're not a fighter.

Not really to do with the topic at hand as i dont necessarily agree with you, but this is probably one of the most irritating aspects of mma forums is people who dont truuly understand the level of some fighters said skillsets.

Not bashing anyone or anything in specific as I dont really see it alot here you are all very clued up! But iv read some forums that are just full of tripe about say someones 'standup' which isnt reaaaally a discipline for one. Then will go on raving about someones said technique or whatever but as it goes that technique isnt actually that great or anything noteable. Like Martin Kampmans muay thai or kickboxing is talked of very highly. Yeah you can say he was a danish champion or whatever he was. But watch him fight and he is on par with the average non kickboxer type of fighter when he should be head and shoulders above with devastating effect.

Last edited 10/16/09 4:04AM server time by Mattchoo

Post #6   10/16/09 4:03:38AM   

BigBadAl

In Full Mount

BigBadAl Avatar

Career:408-321
Chips:

Posted by sbulldavid

Shogun has the game to counter Machida and if you don't know this you're not a fighter or a real fan.

I am obviously not a real fan then. And it seems that 75% of those on here are not real fans. You know why? Because you says so thats why, and thats good enough for me.

Post #7   10/16/09 7:03:38AM   

State_Champ

MMA Sensei

State_Champ Avatar

Career:1,522-905
Camp: The Evil Empire
Chips:
I'm not a huge Machida fan, but he makes other fighters look lost.

Last edited 10/16/09 8:58AM server time by emfleek

Post #8   10/16/09 8:39:02AM   

sbulldavid

Heavyweight Champ

sbulldavid Avatar

Career:1,509-889
Camp: Playground Legends
Chips:

Posted By Message Mattchoo Posted by sbulldavid if you don't know this you're not a fighter. Not really to do with the topic at hand as i dont necessarily agree with you, but this is probably one of the most irritating aspects of mma forums is people who dont truuly understand the level of some fighters said skillsets. Not bashing anyone or anything in specific as I dont really see it alot here you are all very clued up! But iv read some forums that are just full of tripe about say someones 'standup' which isnt reaaaally a discipline for one. Then will go on raving about someones said technique or whatever but as it goes that technique isnt actually that great or anything noteable. Like Martin Kampmans muay thai or kickboxing is talked of very highly. Yeah you can say he was a danish champion or whatever he was. But watch him fight and he is on par with the average non kickboxer type of fighter when he should be head and shoulders above with devastating effect.

If you are going to quote me, finish my statement. Don't pick a few words then call me out. I never called anybody out, I vaguely pointed out that the casual fan doesn't know who Shogun is or how he compares to Machida. Machida is the better fighter, but this is Machida's first real challenge of a fighter that has a serious chance of making a fight out of it.

Last edited 10/16/09 8:49AM server time by sbulldavid
2 total post edits

Post #9   10/16/09 8:44:27AM   

EvenFlow

banned

EvenFlow Avatar

Career:432-232
Chips:

Posted by State_Champ

You should have a look at a few of his fights outside the UFC then. The best example being BJ Penn, he gave him a good fight and he was an overweight LW. On the flipside, he domianted Tito then almost blew it at the end.

Last edited 10/16/09 8:59AM server time by emfleek

Post #10   10/16/09 8:49:34AM   

emfleek

FA-Q

emfleek Avatar

Career:2,363-1,248
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
Posts were deleted and/or edited. I didn't issue warnings, but if this thread gets out of hand again, I'll be forced to.

Keep it clean, guys. No fighter bashing, period.

Last edited 10/16/09 9:12AM server time by emfleek

Post #11   10/16/09 8:57:28AM   

State_Champ

MMA Sensei

State_Champ Avatar

Career:1,522-905
Camp: The Evil Empire
Chips:

Posted by EvenFlow

Posted by State_Champ

You should have a look at a few of his fights outside the UFC then. The best example being BJ Penn, he gave him a good fight and he was an overweight LW. On the flipside, he domianted Tito then almost blew it at the end.

was that fight from long ago?

Last edited 10/16/09 9:29AM server time by State_Champ

Post #12   10/16/09 9:18:22AM   

PABLOMAFIOSO

In Full Mount

PABLOMAFIOSO Avatar

Career:979-657
Chips:

Posted by kopower

Machida is the favorite but Shogun is a live dog. I really hope he's fully healthy and regains the athleticism he once had. If that's the case then this fight is much closer than many think

I have been saying this is not a sure thing for a while. If the old Shogun turns up there could be an upset on the cards. I'm hoping this is the case and we get to see a lively exchange between two of the best. This fight has huge potential.

Post #13   10/16/09 9:28:53AM   

EvenFlow

banned

EvenFlow Avatar

Career:432-232
Chips:
I've been called a retard and nothing happened to the guy and now someone called a fighter a chump, clearly fighter bashing, the whole thing gets edited and I get a month for saying "immature" to a poster who only trolls.

No justice

Post #14   10/16/09 9:36:30AM   

Mattchoo

MMA Regular

Mattchoo Avatar

Career:240-178
Chips:

Posted by sbulldavid

Posted By Message Mattchoo Posted by sbulldavid if you don't know this you're not a fighter. Not really to do with the topic at hand as i dont necessarily agree with you, but this is probably one of the most irritating aspects of mma forums is people who dont truuly understand the level of some fighters said skillsets. Not bashing anyone or anything in specific as I dont really see it alot here you are all very clued up! But iv read some forums that are just full of tripe about say someones 'standup' which isnt reaaaally a discipline for one. Then will go on raving about someones said technique or whatever but as it goes that technique isnt actually that great or anything noteable. Like Martin Kampmans muay thai or kickboxing is talked of very highly. Yeah you can say he was a danish champion or whatever he was. But watch him fight and he is on par with the average non kickboxer type of fighter when he should be head and shoulders above with devastating effect.

If you are going to quote me, finish my statement. Don't pick a few words then call me out. I never called anybody out, I vaguely pointed out that the casual fan doesn't know who Shogun is or how he compares to Machida. Machida is the better fighter, but this is Machida's first real challenge of a fighter that has a serious chance of making a fight out of it.

Thing is i actually meant to be agreeing with you.. GTFO

Post #15   10/16/09 11:45:32AM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2