Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Anderson Silva Has Surgery; Ponders Next Bout

Print  
Should Silva Fight Belfort?
Yes 29 74%
No 9 23%
Don't Care 1 3%
Posted By Message

Macheetah

MMA Regular

Career:76-50
Chips:

LOS ANGELES -- Anderson Silva and manager Ed Soares are not quite ready to sign off on a fight with Vitor Belfort at UFC 108.

Nearly three weeks after UFC president Dana White told the Los Angeles Times his middleweight champion and revitalized former light heavyweight champion had agreed to face off in Las Vegas on Jan. 2, there are complications on Silva's side.

First, Silva must be able to heal properly -- and promptly -- from an arthroscopic surgery he underwent last Monday to repair chronic damage to his elbow, Soares told MMAWeekly.com Monday evening at a fashion show for sponsor Silver Star (Silva doubled as a runway model).

That won't be known until the 34-year-old Silva sees his Los Angeles doctor on Friday.

Link

Last edited 10/14/09 5:28PM server time by Macheetah
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #1   10/14/09 5:28:14PM   

icantthinkofanything

MMA Sensei

icantthinkofanything Avatar

Career:911-636
Camp: 360 Mafia
Chips:
Just fight SOMEONE for the belt ALREADY!! Silva beat Hendo and Nate, so Vitor is a good choice. Hendo deserves the shot, but may have to settle for sloppy seconds, because Vitor is a better fighter than when Hendo beat him in 06. If you compare vitors 1st rd ko of Franklin (and how much power was produced from a grazing punch) to Hendos unfinished biz with Franklin, Vitor is the obvious choice.
Silva risks bad ppv numbers if he continues to say nate, endo or vitor don't deserve to fight him on their current merits. Insisting on a #1 cont. fight and dissing vitor sets low expectations for the fight. No wonder Silva is a low ppv draw, he can't sell a fight for his life. Regardless of who the spider fights next, he better not avoid fighting and decision like he did vs Leites and Cote.

Image Attachment(s):

Photo Attachment 1

Post #2   10/14/09 7:02:50PM   

prozacnation1978

Heavyweight Champ

prozacnation1978 Avatar

Career:2,352-1,258
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
he should have said something weeks ago when they annouced this fight

Post #3   10/14/09 7:20:06PM   

Giant_Ochai

BANNED

Career:433-278
Chips:
Fight your appointed challenger or relinquish the belt.

Post #4   10/14/09 7:31:24PM   

crushedbacon

In Full Mount

crushedbacon Avatar

Career:868-562
Camp: West Coast Canada
Chips:
WTF did he wait until October for to get that surgery? So sick of Silva and his posturing.

Post #5   10/14/09 7:42:32PM   

SpiderSilva

PFM

SpiderSilva Avatar

Career:1,790-1,126
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
Good Im glad he is gonna wait I dont want to see he go in any less than 100%

And from what I recall he didnt avoid anything in those fights he brought it they just couldnt handle it

He's been known to cure narcalepsy by just walking into a room. His orgin donation card list his beard. He is a lover not a fighter but he's also a fighter so don't get any idea's he is SpiderSilva I'm the baddest man alive

Post #6   10/14/09 8:21:11PM   

reyns84

Learning to Sprawl

Career:854-598
Chips:
Silva should give it up about #1 contender fights. Was his 1 fight in the UFC with chris leben really a #1 contender fight, he himself earned a title shot with one win in the organization.

Post #7   10/15/09 7:49:48AM   

breakdown5

MMA Sensei

breakdown5 Avatar

Career:877-464
Chips:
I voted yes in the poll, but I don't really blame Silva for not wanting the fight. While Silva did earn his shot after one fight. That fight was at 185lbs (which is the cut off to be considered a MW). Vitor has also gotten the shot after one fight, but that fight was at 195 (which is technically LHW). Vitor also had to weigh in three times to get down to 196. I think the UFC shouldn't be giving title shots to people that have never fought at the weight class in the UFC before. I know Vitor has fought at MW previously, but not in the UFC. I'm not trying to discredit Vitor or his skills, the dude is a beast and definitely a legit contender. I just think that his first fight should have been at MW and not the catchweight, then there would be no excuses for this fight not to happen IMO.

Post #8   10/15/09 8:37:56AM