Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

UFC 111 - UFC books February 21st for its trip to Sydney, Australia

Print  
Posted By Message

MMAcca

Heavyweight Champ

MMAcca Avatar

Career:1,806-1,051
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
The Ultimate Fighting Championship is planning an event for Feb. 21 at Acer Arena in Sydney, Australia, MMAWeekly.com has learned from a source within the UFC.

The date, landing on a Sunday, is an unorthodox move for the promotion. The UFC’s sister promotion, World Extreme Cagefighting (WEC), often holds events on Sunday to accommodate the schedule of television partner Versus.

The Sydney Morning Herald first reported the news Sunday citing the UFC’s U.K. president, Marshall Zelaznik.

Yoshihiro Akiyama may headline the event against Wanderlei Silva, the Japanese star said during a recent UFC “Undisputed” video game press conference in Japan, according to a report on Sherdog.com. Akiyama, however, said he'd prefer the fight to happen at UFC 110, scheduled for Feb. 6 in Las Vegas.

The Acer Arena played host to the 2000 Sydney Games and is the largest indoor arena in the country, holding up to 21,000 fans.

LINK

Post #1   10/14/09 1:51:42PM   

MiniMan

Standup Guy

MiniMan Avatar

Career:38-27
Chips:
Is this the proper date all you smart MMA fans??

I need to know asap so I can get time off work and plan travel... Im so pumped

Post #2   10/14/09 8:53:39PM   

IriShame

In Full Mount

IriShame Avatar

Career:558-331
Chips:
I got a dollar that says Elvis Sinosic makes his way on to this card. Probably a 3 fight deal, he'll appear on the preliminary portion of the PPV. Probably lose and be cut shortly thereafter. Similar to the recent David Louiseau signing for the show in Canada.

Post #3   10/15/09 2:01:57AM