Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Fields Dynamite!! 2009-12/31 in Saitama, Japan

Print  
  Page 3 of 3     1     2     3  
Posted By Message

DCRage

Representin' The MA's

DCRage Avatar

Career:978-738
Chips:
Some last-minute news/notes:
Mousasi participation is virtually confirmed, it will be a "superfight". The rest is unknown (K-1 or MMA rules or who he'll fight. Note that rumors of Gary Goodridge in a K-1 fight come from DREAM fighter Jason High and are not yet confirmed).

No Sakuraba this year. Injury.

DREAM has put up a few classic Sengoku fight videos on their YT channel for a limited time, high quality (also in HD) with no commentary. Search YT for the user/channel "DREAM". Available fights:
Hidehiko Yoshida vs. Maurice Smith (Sengoku 3)
Kazuyuki Fujita vs. Peter Graham (Sengoku 1)
Hiroshi Izumi vs. Antz Nansen (Sengoku 10)
Akihiro Gono vs. Shin Ramyun (Yoon Young Kim-Sengoku 11)
Kazunori Yokota vs. Ryan Schultz (Sengoku 10)
Michihiro Omigawa vs. Nam Phan (Sengoku 8)

K-1 fights updates: Andy Souwer asked for permission to wear his long Shootboxing spats against Masato and Masato permitted it and Yosuke Nishijima asked to wear shoes against Ray Sefo and Ray also permitted it so FEG announced these special rules for the fights. Nishijima will not be allowed to kick (he can knee though, same as against Aerts). So, in other words, it's basically a kickboxer vs. a...well...kneeboxer? That sounds a little strange to me.

And finally, HDNet confirmed they will air the event LIVE in the US this Thursday. Scheduled start time is 3 AM ET.

Last edited 12/27/09 7:58AM server time by DCRage
Edit note/reason: n/a
2 total post edits

Post #31   12/27/09 7:54:05AM   

RhythmAndStyle

MMA Sensei

RhythmAndStyle Avatar

Career:2,385-1,434
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
kneeboxing..huh..i guess it depends on how aggressive he fights..or he's gonna be S.O.L..

Post #32   12/27/09 1:34:58PM   

Bustedup477

Learning to Sprawl

Career:-
Chips:
this is going to kick serious ass!!

Post #33   12/27/09 5:45:31PM   

jae_1833

TTTHS

jae_1833 Avatar

Career:2,632-1,680
Chips:
I am going to put forth an effort to watch this event live as in past years I have never been able to pull it off. This is one of the things that the Japanease orgs have been doing for a long time that have always just been way cool!!

Post #34   12/28/09 2:21:25AM   

DCRage

Representin' The MA's

DCRage Avatar

Chips:
It's always quite the spectacle, this year should be no different even though there's no Fedor.

Rules update for the MMA fights: They will be scored under Sengoku's "must system", meaning no draws. If a judge scores it a draw that judge must pick one winner. Which greatly increases the chances of a Michihiro Omigawa victory if it goes to a decision. Everything should be finalized anytime now and announced no later than Wednesday.

Post #35   12/28/09 9:49:50AM   

DCRage

Representin' The MA's

DCRage Avatar

Chips:
There have been 2 late changes to the card:
Marlon Sandro is now off. Injury suffered in training. Kim Jong Man is the replacement.

Gegard Mousasi vs. Gary Goodridge is official. Heavyweight. DREAM rules except it'll be 3 5-minute rounds.

Post #36   12/29/09 6:38:09AM   

DCRage

Representin' The MA's

DCRage Avatar

Chips:
Fight order for tomorrow's event:
K-1 KOSHIEN (U-18/High School) Tournament:
Reserve Fight: Ryuya Kusakabe vs. Tsukasa Fuji
Semifinals:
HIROYA vs. Masaaki Noiri
Katsuki Ishida vs. Shota Shimada

DREAM Super Hulk GP Finals: Ikuhisa Minowa vs. Sokoudjou

K-1: Ray Sefo vs. Yosuke Nishijima

K-1 KOSHIEN Finals

Katsuyori Shibata vs. Hiroshi Izumi
Hiroyuki Takaya vs. Michihiro Omigawa
Hayato Sakurai vs. Akihiro Gono
Melvin Manhoef vs. Kazuo Misaki
Hideo Tokoro vs. Jong Man Kim
Tatsuya Kawajiri vs. Kazunori Yokota
Norifumi "Kid" Yamamoto vs. Masanori Kanehara
Satoshi Ishii vs. Hidehiko Yoshida
Alistair Overeem vs. Kazuyuki Fujita
Shinya Aoki vs. Mizuto Hirota
Gegard Mousasi vs. Gary Goodridge

Main Event: Masato Final K-1 Fight-Masato vs. Andy Souwer (5 3-minute rounds, 1 extra 3-minute round if Draw)

If you miss the live show, replays are tomorrow at 8 PM ET and Friday at 10 PM ET on HDNet.

Post #37   12/30/09 7:11:21AM   

RhythmAndStyle

MMA Sensei

RhythmAndStyle Avatar

Chips:
hey DC..do you know if their gonna live stream this?..and if they do what time would it be?..

Post #38   12/30/09 1:32:57PM   

DCRage

Representin' The MA's

DCRage Avatar

Chips:
Can't answer the first part here (rule changes), but the event will air LIVE on HDNet. Starts at 3 AM ET.
And there will be some "Mayhem" on the broadcast-HDNet has added Jason Miller to the broadcast team with Michael Schiavello and Guy Mezger.

Post #39   12/30/09 1:41:50PM   

RhythmAndStyle

MMA Sensei

RhythmAndStyle Avatar

Chips:
my bad..lol..forgot bout that rule..i'm sure i'll find one...

Post #40   12/30/09 1:53:21PM   

Franklinfan47

Simply The Best

Franklinfan47 Avatar

Career:2,612-1,430
Chips:
I havent been this excited for non-ufc card in a while. Plus Mayhem's doing commentary! The guys entertaining as hell. Got my red bulls ready I get HDnet so I can give a pbp tonight if needed. This card seems to have its fair share of great and stupid match-ups but hey thats japanese mma for ya. I'm liking:

Dream vs WVR

Shibata by tko- who knows in this one, but I'll take the guy who has actually won a fight before.
Streetfight Bancho by decision- wouldnt put it past Omigawa to steal another decision but Takaya has the better boxing imo.
Mach by decision- Two vets will probably put on one hell of a show, but I think Sakurai has looked better lately.
Misaki by sub-not ruling out a Manhoef KO here, but his ground game is scary bad.
Tokoro by sub
Crusher by decision- Yokota could surprise here, Kawijiri shouldnt overlook him.
Yamamoto by tko- He had a bad 2009 and needs a solid win here plus I think he'll be too much for Kanehara.
Overeem by KO- He should make good on his prediction. Horrible matchup.
Aoki by decision- hope Shinya's not overlooking Hirota either because he's been KO'd before and Hirota has some very heavy hands.

So basically I think Dream wins this 8-1 Looks like Sengoku got the short end of the stick on alot of these matchups..though that may just be because Dream has the deeper talent pool. It'll be interesting.

Other fights:

Sokoudjou by KO- I'll be rooting for Minowaman here but he seems to go down when he fights legitimate fighters.
Ishii by decision-even though he's making his debut, seems like a changing-of-the-gaurd fight, and Ishii is the younger, stronger judo player imo.
Mousasi by sub- despite the collasal weight difference goodridge doesnt stand a chance in hell here. Another horrible matchup, both guys must have needed a cheque or something. And this is the co-headliner

Cant wait

WAR MINOWAMAN!!

Post #41   12/30/09 3:29:24PM   

emfleek

FA-Q

emfleek Avatar

Career:2,310-1,223
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by RhythmAndStyle

my bad..lol..forgot bout that rule..i'm sure i'll find one...

Someone can PM it to you.

Post #42   12/30/09 3:33:51PM   

Page 3 of 3     1     2     3