Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Anderson Silva Doesn't Think Vitor Belfort Has Earned a Title Shot, May Not Fight at UFC 108

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

ThaAxeMurderer7

MMA Sensei

ThaAxeMurderer7 Avatar

Career:1,277-814
Chips:
(Anderson Silva's manager Ed) Soares maintains a title eliminator between Nate Marquardt and Dan Henderson is the most logical idea for Silva's next contender, given their recent victories and Henderson's 2007 win over Belfort in PRIDE Fighting Championships. He first pitched the idea to White following UFC 102 in August, but White did not commit.

They also are complaining since Belfort had trouble making 195lbs for his UFC 103 fight against Rich Franklin:

Soares believes Belfort's weight issues may persist should his fighter accept the fight.

Link

Post #1   10/13/09 10:19:23PM   

jae_1833

TTTHS

jae_1833 Avatar

Career:2,547-1,624
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
I can't help but think that maybe his fight just doesn't interest Silva....I think he believes that it would be an easy win and probably not worth all the trouble of getting ready for. A victory over the winner of Nate/Hendo does more for him if he does in fact decide to retire.

Post #2   10/13/09 10:25:48PM   

xdanish020

MMA Sensei

xdanish020 Avatar

Career:2,371-1,283
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
Stop being so cocky Anderson, regardless if he earned it or not...did BIg Nog really earn his shot against Sylvia after beating Heath Herring? Stop being so pretentious and defend your belt when your boss tells you to. Its not l'ike Vitor is sum scrub of an opponent, that matchup could be fire works.

Post #3   10/13/09 11:01:34PM   

haggiswashere

MMA Sensei

haggiswashere Avatar

Career:384-281
Camp: SKADUSH!!!!
Chips:
Coming from the guy who fought Thales Leites and Patrick Cote....... come on Andy. Stop being a drama queen and go back to being the Anderson we all remember and like watching.

Post #4   10/13/09 11:12:44PM   

Jackelope

Go ahead, MOD my day

Jackelope Avatar

Career:864-486
Chips:
When have you ever seen a title holder complain about the guy coming up to fight him for his title like this?

I hate to say it but the feeling I got after the Dan Henderson fight seems to have been there for a reason. He's acting like a professional boxer acts. This is not the kind of attitude fans want to see in their MMA fighters.

Granted this talk is coming from Ed Soares (as far as I read... which wasn't the whole article) but it just leaves a piss poor taste in your mouth.

Post #5   10/13/09 11:31:17PM   

prozacnation1978

Heavyweight Champ

prozacnation1978 Avatar

Career:2,380-1,274
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
i don't get it man
you don't wanna fight hendo nor nate now vitor
who is worthy for you leites and cote??
and u better fight jan 2nd if silva pulls out there won't be any title's on the line that night unless ufc pulls a rabbit out of it's hat and fast tracks winner of machida/shogun against someone

Post #6   10/13/09 11:43:39PM   

SpiderSilva

PFM

SpiderSilva Avatar

Career:1,802-1,135
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
I think if Shogun wins he should fight Shogun for the 205 title Im all for the Hendo/Marquart winner fighting for the title I still think Vitor hasnt done much to have a title shot IMO

Silva should be given the biggest fights there are and Vitor isn't one of the dude is about to hang em up can he please get the vary best

He's been known to cure narcalepsy by just walking into a room. His orgin donation card list his beard. He is a lover not a fighter but he's also a fighter so don't get any idea's he is SpiderSilva I'm the baddest man alive

Post #7   10/13/09 11:51:35PM   

scobac

BANNED

scobac Avatar

Career:165-137
Chips:
I dont like the idea of a ufc fighter being in a position to call shots like a boxers often do, I think he's getting a little big for his briches.

First he says he's one hundred percent, dana says he isnt, now soares says he isnt, I dont want to fight so and so he's not worthy blah blah blah ,I dont care for the games being played and im starting to lose a little respect for him (as a person, not a fighter) and if he is going to continue to go against the grain and want to call the shots then I would sooner see him box roy jones jr. I just dont want to see something like this effect an ever growing ufc/mma, I dont think the sport is ready for it and boxing has prooved that fighters that think they are bigger than the sport they compete in is just bad news.

With that said I hope this dosnt evole into a huge issue and Anderson can get healthy and take care of the obligations put forth by his employer and we can continue on being fans of a great, possibly greatest fighter mma has seen.

Post #8   10/13/09 11:56:41PM   

MaxOne

Captain Doctor

MaxOne Avatar

Career:862-586
Camp: Team Syntax
Chips:
wack.

I personally would like to see belfort get some more fights first. For Anderson, as the champ he should fight the guys they put in front of him. belfort is the only other guy to spank franklin (other than machida) so i don't see what he's getting at.

Last edited 10/14/09 12:06AM server time by maxone
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #9   10/13/09 11:59:35PM   

Post_Oakley

Learning to Sprawl

Post_Oakley Avatar

Career:-
Chips:
who does anderson think he is? floyd mayweather??

its not up to him to choose who he fights.

a champion fights whos put in front of him and does it with a champions attitude.

im sorry but for a while now i just cant stand how he thinks he can call the shots.

Post #10   10/14/09 12:17:50AM   

BSurely

Learning to Sprawl

Career:57-40
Chips:
Vitor isn't a big PPV draw even though he's a big name in the MMA community. Anderson wants big money PPV fights like Mir or Couture so he can make that back end money through ppv points. It's all about dollars and sense and destroying Vitor doesn't make $ense for Silva at this point in his career. I would like to see this fight also, but come on now fellas Vitor will get demolished...

Post #11   10/14/09 12:46:24AM   

AnDeRsonDaSiLvA

BANNED

AnDeRsonDaSiLvA Avatar

Career:510-259
Chips:
How many of you actually read the article?

"It's doctor's decision," he added in English. "My elbow is hurt, but doctor Chad says come back to training, come back to fight."

On Wednesday, the champion is scheduled to begin physical therapy after getting his surgery stitches removed. Soares says a decision on Silva's fight-readiness will be made in 10 days.

Whether you think vitor deserves a title shot or not , anderson has signed to fight him and will fight him barring hes injury free . Sounds pretty reasonable to me .

Post #12   10/14/09 1:14:03AM   

TOMMYAYO05

MMA Sensei

TOMMYAYO05 Avatar

Career:481-312
Camp: Ultimate Fighter Top Team
Chips:
To me Anderson seems bored with the 185 pounders which he should be.At the same time he refuses to fight machida so he cant take that belt unless shogun takes machida out.I dont know it seems silva is acting as if he is too good for the sport now.This isnt boxing.

Post #13   10/14/09 4:40:32AM   

tomp6581

Standup Guy

tomp6581 Avatar

Career:406-255
Chips:
So he doesnt think Henderson, Nate and now Belfort are worthy.

I'm really starting to dislike Anderson and his "he doesnt deserve a shot" talk.

He recently fought Cote, Irvin and Leites so we know he doesnt mind fighting HUGE underdogs. So what is his problem?

He seemed to have no problem with his re-match with Franklin....who defeated Jason MacDonald and Yushin Okami to "earn" his rematch. Alot weaker oposition than Henderson/Nate and Belfort have recently faced. Why was Franklin worthy?

Anderson. Just shut up and fight whoever the UFC tells you to fight...or give up your title.

Last edited 10/14/09 5:35AM server time by tomp6581
Edit note/reason: n/a
2 total post edits

Post #14   10/14/09 5:34:12AM   

supatolacyl

MMA Regular

supatolacyl Avatar

Career:1,157-897
Chips:
Silvas antics are growing tiresome from all the b/s about the elbow surgery to trying to dictate who has to fight who to fight him, is just rediculous. Yes the match maker is a Silva, but it's Joe not Anderson. If he wants to fight guys like Mir and Couture then give up then belt and not hold it up. He has only defended the belt once in 09 and that's not right. If he wants to move up to get a big fight, I have no prob with it, but atleast defend you belt twice a year. Also if he wants his next fight to be up against Mir or whoever then it will be well over a year from his last title defence to his next one and when you're the champ taking back to back fights out of your weight class is pretty damn selfish IMO.

Also, regardless of how dominate Anderson has been since entering the UFC, I don't want to hear him complain about someone getting a shot to soon. If beating Chris Leben warranted Silva a title shot, then Belfort taking out Franklin would more then deffinately earn him a title shot. I persoanlly would rather see Hendo get the next shot, I know he has already had a shot, but the shallownes of the MW division, he has done enough to be the front runner, then Marquardt next and lastly Belfort IMO. I am interested in seeing how Silva will deal with the speed of Belfort, makes for an interesting match.

Post #15   10/14/09 6:40:24AM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2