Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

UFC 105 POOR Card????

Print  
  Page 2 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

1daveufc

Standup Guy

1daveufc Avatar

Career:612-433
Camp: East Coast Pitbulls
Chips:

Posted by ChokeUout

The UK fans amaze me....

You guys get 2-3 cards over there per year. Anyone who lives in England can get anywhere else in the country within a day driving. In the US we're lucky if we get one per year within 1000 miles of where we are depending on the location.

You've complained about the quality of the card before. I mean complaing about fights like Jackson/Hendo, Penn/Stevenson, Hughes/Alves...Now they're giving you Couture/Vera in a main event as well as a welterweight #1 contender fight and your STILL complaining? As far as the English fighters on the card, if they weren't on the card, we'd hear complaints about how "HEY! Why aren't any of our countrymen on the card??!!"

Call me an unsesitive jerk, but I just don't understand

Well am not complaining i think this is a decent card some people can not be pleased.I have my ticket and i canit wait

Post #16   10/14/09 5:53:27PM   

duniek

MMA Regular

duniek Avatar

Career:1,784-1,175
Camp: Duniek
Chips:
I agree this is not the strongest card if we expect it to be an all star UFC event.
I think this one is going to end up being one of the most exciting fight cards though. Lot of good finishes just like in WEC :)
You should go and enjoy it .

Post #17   10/15/09 12:16:30AM   

NatedawgThaM

MMA Sensei

NatedawgThaM Avatar

Career:676-444
Chips:
The fights will definitely be competitive, I bet their will be a lot of sick fights. It's just like UFC 95 with Diego vs Joe. That card wasn't that special to look at but the FIGHT WERE FN SICK!!!! Plus like its already been said, its in England so alot of Brits are fighting so the UK should be happy. But agreed the card isn't that special on paper.

Vera vs. Couture is just so fn weird and random. But easily winnable for either fighter. I could just as easily see Couture pinning Vera against the cage and smothering him with dirty boxing to win or dragging him down and pounding on him just as easily as I could see Vera keeping the distance and brutally knocking Randy out. Swick/Hardy should be some fireworks even though don't really care for either guy.Bisping/Khang is a good type of fight I like as like the type of fight Sexyama/Belcher was at 100. Small good scrap. But Bisping will get hyped no doubt hopefully Khang shows us he still is one of the best MW's in the world and can take him out again brutally.

I'm definitely gonna watch and love the fights. But I understand and definitely agree on paper it does nothing for me but fullfill my lust for watching some wars like UFC 95 which was sick! But it's definitely still pretty badass tho in my book

Post #18   10/15/09 1:28:59AM   

tomp6581

Standup Guy

tomp6581 Avatar

Career:406-255
Chips:
As "a Brit" who has been to 5 UFC events so far in my country and I feel I have to say something about this.

I have tickets to UFC 105. I love the sport and I support it as much as I can, I buy the tv channels that broadcast it here and I buy tickets to it when it come to our part of the world.

When UFC first came back to the UK, we got the pleasue of seeing cards with lot's of top-teir fighters like Cro-Cop, Arlovski, Gonzaga, Machida, Henderson, Kongo, Rampage, Werdum etc. But over time I feel the events have been getting watered down (in terms of top tier talent) and we seem to get the same fighters EVERY event!

How many times do I have to watch Marcus Davis, Paul Taylor, Paul Kelly, Terry Etim, Dan Hardy, Dennis Silver, Micheal Bisping. Not one of these fighters are anywhere near championship level. And none of them show any signs of getting there anytime soon. And yet some of these fighters are in the main event!

Fighting is not a partiotic sport, I'm not bothered where they come from. I just wish the UFC would mix it up when they come here. Lets see completely diffferent events each time, not just different opponents for the same fighters.

I dont like to moan and I am grateful the UFC come here. But it is very expensive to go to these event in the UK, and that is why you get alot of people moaning about the cards.

And one more thing. British TV.

Live UFC events are on ESPN. Which is £9.99 a month.
Anyone who owns a TV in the UK has to have a licence. Which is £140 per year.
That works out at about £21 ($34) a month to have access to UFC events.

Not exactly free.

Last edited 10/20/09 7:22AM server time by tomp6581
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #19   10/20/09 7:21:00AM   

emfleek

FA-Q

emfleek Avatar

Career:2,327-1,229
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by tomp6581

Not exactly free.

Maybe not free, but most Americans pay AT LEAST that just to have access to pay-per-view, via cable television. I'd say most people pay anywhere between $35 to $50 *just* for cable. Add on top of that, another $44.95 for *each* UFC event and we're approaching 3-4 times the amount you guys have to pay (depending on how many events there are per month). I'd gladly pay $34/month to watch all live UFC events.

I do feel for you with the "watered" down cards, though. As a UFC fan, it does get rather tiring when you know which fighters are going to be on the UK cards. I guess it's a good thing that I'm a Dan Hardy fan!

Post #20   10/20/09 8:13:58AM   

tomp6581

Standup Guy

tomp6581 Avatar

Career:406-255
Chips:
I'm not comparing what we pay to you guys....I'm simply pionting out that is isnt free. Which seems to be the assumption by some.

Post #21   10/20/09 9:47:39AM   

RandyCouture

MMA Regular

RandyCouture Avatar

Career:1,524-786
Chips:
Any free card with the name couture on it is alright with me. If past his prime couture was one of the biggest ppv sellers two fights ago and there are some pretty good match ups imo cant complain

Post #22   10/20/09 4:53:36PM   

Rabi

Heavyweight Champ

Rabi Avatar

Career:1,948-1,142
Camp: Canadian Power Team
Chips:
I cant wait to go to this event. I think its a good card. This will be my 7th live event, but im one of those fans who would go and see it who ever was on the card. Just cant get enough UFC/MMA LOL.

Post #23   10/22/09 1:29:26PM   

BustedKnuckle

MMA Sensei

BustedKnuckle Avatar

Career:659-381
Chips:
Damn man, Micheal Bisping is fighting Cotoure/Vera Swick/Hardy The last TUF winners(both BRITS!!!) What more could you ask for. For a free event on Spike it is a very solid card IMO

Last edited 10/22/09 9:02PM server time by BustedKnuckle
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #24   10/22/09 8:08:21PM   

Mchubb316

MMA Sensei

Mchubb316 Avatar

Career:838-517
Camp: Strikers Inc.
Chips:
I don't judge whether a card is poor, good, great or amazing based soley on the names on the fight card. Just because there is not 6 so called big name fighters doesn't mean the card won't be a great card. let the fights themselves dictate a fight card not the names. Iam always looking forward to watching fight, regardless of the names or organiztion. You never know what you will see. Just my thoughts.

Post #25   10/23/09 10:31:59PM   

Page 2 of 2     1     2