Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Filho thinks the UFC is conspiring against his fellow Brazilian fighters

Print  
Posted By Message

MMAcca

Heavyweight Champ

MMAcca Avatar

Career:2,028-1,165
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
Speaking to Tatame Magazine, Filho said:

“The UFC is a great event, but the Americans do everything so that you cannot get the advantage. They [do] everything to get you down. American is American, they want to see Americans with the belt and so eliminate as many Brazilians as possible - but they will have to work a lot, because we are the best.”

“It is an uphill struggle for Shogun. Machida is very strategic, the Shogun is real, very brave. Both have star quality, but I would venture to say Lyoto [will win] by strategy. But a fight is fight and we will only know when it is over. It will be a fight all the way.”

LINK

Post #1   10/13/09 1:42:22AM   

grappler0000

MODular Approach

grappler0000 Avatar

Career:3,003-1,643
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
Dana: We'll give all the Brazilians title shots...that'll teach em muahahahahahah!

I think Filho is forgetting that if two Brazilians fight for a title, then no matter how you slice it, a Brazilian will be the champ after the fight. I'm curious what his opinion would be if one of those Brazilian fighters took a backseat to an American fighter getting the title shot instead. I have a feeling he might just be a little disgruntled.

Post #2   10/13/09 1:55:59AM   

RearNakedJoke

In Full Mount

RearNakedJoke Avatar

Career:1,226-867
Chips:
that doesnt even make sense. if they wanted americans with the belts they would have american challengers for silva and machida. is he saying they should deny belfort or shogun title shots because they are brazilian?

Last edited 10/13/09 9:56AM server time by cowcatcher
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #3   10/13/09 2:16:25AM   

Sinister

BANNED

Sinister Avatar

Career:22-17
Chips:

No comment needed

Post #4   10/13/09 4:36:13AM   

Aaronno9

King in the North

Aaronno9 Avatar

Career:798-457
Chips:
Hopefully Gegard shuts this fella up soon. I havent even really got much to say about the interview, its stupid on so many levels.

Post #5   10/13/09 6:59:27AM   

cowcatcher

Steady MODdin'

cowcatcher Avatar

Career:2,671-1,523
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
hes ridiculous for saying this, but lets keep it clean guys. ive already had to edit and delete some things.

Post #6   10/13/09 9:56:59AM   

ncordless

MODulation

ncordless Avatar

Career:1,949-1,115
Chips:

Posted by bjj1605

I see the standings like this right now:

1. Brazil
2. US (a close second though)
3. Japan
4. UK (a big gap here between 4 and 3)
5. Other European countries
6. Canada :(

I see it like this:
1. Brazil
2. US
3. Everyone else

There is just not enough talent outside of Brazil and the US to really rank them in comparison. Also, there is a huge gap between many of the countries and Brazil/US in training.

Japan still has an amazing depth of talent due to the Shooto system and other pro/am circuits, but they haven't had anyone considered a p4p contender since Sakuraba. There are remarkably few top fighters from Japan right now, and a large part of that has to do with training and nutrition. Most Japanese believe cutting weight is akin to cheating and will actually make a fighter weaker. Many Japanese fighters also don't believe in strategy, and instead believe in a zen-like idea of fighting in the moment. While it is true that a fighter should be able to react to what is happening in a fight, that doesn't mean that you can;t have a gameplan.

Continental Europe has a similar problem of lack of quality training and health programs. Cro Cop is in my opinion a prime example of what is wrong. Before the Gonzaga fight he hadn't even thought of training in the cage. He is too small for the modern HW division, but refuses to cut to LHW. Long ago he stopped acquiring the skills that could have made him a more well-rounded fighter (he pretty much stopped after learning to sprawl and a closed guard) and does not seem to be pushed in that direction by his trainers. Even Fedor is way behind in nutrition. Fedor realized long before most that well-roundedness is a key to being a great fighter. But when your physical therapy consists of getting naked with Kiril and smacking each other with tree branches, there is something to be gained. Fedor could make 205 and if he were any less of a fighter would need to. Someday that will catch up to him.

UK doesn't suffer from the quaint nutrition ideas and is really starting to get some great training centers going, but there are a couple things holding them back. 1)The sport is still extremely young in the UK. 2) The UK is has a much smaller population than most of the other regions. 3) The serious lack of a wrestling tradition (and yes I know that catch wrestling has been there for 150+ years) hampers would-be stars by putting them way behind the curve compared to the folkstyle tradition of the US, the jiu-jitsu tradition of Brazil, and the Sambo/Judo/Freestyle tradition in much of the rest of the world.

Last edited 10/13/09 5:10PM server time by telnights

Post #7   10/13/09 10:39:40AM   

tallica62

MMA Sensei

tallica62 Avatar

Career:2,063-1,277
Chips:
i hope Dana White reads this.. He is good, but he sees dead people in the octagon (ie the Chael Sonnen fight)

Dana should shut him up by offering him to fight in the UFC and throw some UFCers at him...dont get me wrong, Fihlo is good, but not UFC champ good

Last edited 10/13/09 10:52AM server time by emfleek
Edit note/reason: Removed fighter bashing.

Post #8   10/13/09 10:51:28AM   

emfleek

- > THUG LIFE < -

emfleek Avatar

Career:2,386-1,258
Chips:

Posted by cowcatcher

hes ridiculous for saying this, but lets keep it clean guys. ive already had to edit and delete some things.

Ditto. You don't have to agree with the guy. Just play nice when you reply.

Post #9   10/13/09 10:51:39AM   

Jesse_Canadian_MMA

Belt Contender

Jesse_Canadian_MMA Avatar

Career:1,776-1,097
Camp: Canadian Fight Club
Chips:
yeah Filho is an ..... and I hope he loses bigtime to a genuine sportman and competitor in Mousasi
and only 2 out of the 5 champions are american, good luck at this argument Filho lol

Post #10   10/13/09 1:15:43PM   

bojangalz

The Original Playground Bully

bojangalz Avatar

Career:1,554-840
Chips:
Can't be wrong... I'm sure he got the information straight from Jesus himself.

Post #11   10/13/09 1:27:49PM   

telnights

MODesty

telnights Avatar

Career:1,449-799
Chips:
K I'm the 2nd MOD to have to make a post in this topic and I think its fairly clear that we don't agree with Filho point of view on this. But I also want to make it clear that doesn't give anyone the right to break the forum rules. There has been way to many warnings already passed out because of this topic and if I see one more post that's insulting to nationality, fighter bashing, or has any steroid allegations this topic will be locked and the wrath of the PIMP hand shall come down on said person.

Last edited 10/13/09 5:26PM server time by telnights

Post #12   10/13/09 5:16:06PM   

zephead

The Dancer

zephead Avatar

Career:541-400
Camp: Ground'N'Pound
Chips:
Why do people interview this dude? It's getting to the point where he is irrelevant

"To me the records were just a starting point," recalls John Paul Jones, "The most important thing was always the stage show. So many great nights. At our worst we were still better than most. At our best we could just wipe the floor with the lot of them. It was just a very good live band."

Post #13   10/13/09 5:36:50PM   

BustedKnuckle

MMA Sensei

BustedKnuckle Avatar

Career:659-381
Chips:
Just as you think Paulo Filho is coming around he sticks his foot in his mouth again. This guy needs to stay quiet and keep winning fights.

Post #14   10/13/09 7:40:05PM   

prozacnation1978

Heavyweight Champ

prozacnation1978 Avatar

Career:2,660-1,415
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
that is crazy

machida and silva are champs

shogun is geeting a title shot
thiago alves got his as well as thales leites

belfort is getting one,