Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Johny Hendricks Vs Ricardo Funch At UFC 107

Print  
Posted By Message

MMAcca

Heavyweight Champ

MMAcca Avatar

Career:1,738-1,026
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
Undefeated welterweights Johny Hendricks and Ricardo Funch have signed to do battle on the undercard of UFC 107, according to multiple sources MMAWeekly.com spoke to on Monday evening.

UFC 107 is headlined by a lightweight title fight between B.J. Penn and Diego Sanchez and is expected to take place at the FedEx Forum in Memphis, Tenn.

Hendricks (6-0) successfully migrated to the Octagon with a win over Amir Sadollah at UFC 101 following a March appearance in the last WEC show to feature welterweights. A two-time NCAA wrestling champion, Hendricks lives and trains in Las Vegas along with fellow Team Takedown fighter and UFC prospect Jake Rosholt.

Funch (7-0) is a former collegiate soccer player who hails from Lencois, Brazil, and trains with Team Link in Ludlow, Mass. Despite a focus on jiu-jitsu, Funch has finished the majority of his fights by TKO.

LINK

Last edited 10/13/09 1:31AM server time by MMAcca
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #1   10/13/09 1:30:32AM   

hotrodttt

Ridin the MMA WW since 02 !

hotrodttt Avatar

Career:2,535-1,352
Chips:
Wierd match making on behalf of Joe Silva as this fight really has no relevance. I would have thought that Hendricks would be fighting a contender or somebody that is a little but more developed as a fighter rather than a guy like Funch who used to fight the undercards at Jungle Fights. Eh we'll see what happens but we're likely to see Johny get another KO win.

Post #2   10/13/09 1:43:19AM   

jae_1833

TTTHS

jae_1833 Avatar

Career:2,471-1,565
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
Seems logical, both undefeated...both heavy handed....could be good.

Post #3   10/13/09 1:45:31AM   

hotrodttt

hotrodttt Avatar

Chips:

Posted by jae_1833

Seems logical, both undefeated...both heavy handed....could be good.

We have to go beyond the fact of that they are both heavy handed, I mean would you match up Kwang Lee (If the ufc signed him) with Gray Maynard because they are both heavy handed. I think it would be fair for the fighter who has proven himself in the ufc fight another contender so were not stuck in a rut and get more relevant fights going.

Post #4   10/13/09 1:50:18AM   

cowcatcher

Steady MODdin'

cowcatcher Avatar

Career:2,457-1,410
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
to be fair though hotrod, hendricks has almost no in octagon time and the win over amir was controversial to some(not me). this is probably his fight for legitimacy.

Post #5   10/13/09 9:35:32AM   

Twenty20Dollars

Heavyweight Champ

Career:1,572-1,001
Chips:
Im just excited to Hendricks fight again and see some more of his skills. But this should be a good fight they will mostly likely both bring it and slug.

Post #6   10/13/09 10:52:15AM   

prozacnation1978

Heavyweight Champ

prozacnation1978 Avatar

Career:2,291-1,224
Chips:
i never heard of funch

Post #7   10/13/09 8:03:24PM   

ncordless

MODulation

ncordless Avatar

Career:1,826-1,047
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by cowcatcher

to be fair though hotrod, hendricks has almost no in octagon time and the win over amir was controversial to some(not me). this is probably his fight for legitimacy.

Yeah, and I wouldn't sleep on Funch. You could easily make the argument that he is a step up from Amir.

Johny still has a ways to go before he is even sniffing title contention. He has the chance for a great future, but there is no reason to fast track him when he is only 6-0. They tried with his teammate Rosholt and ended up making him look silly against Dan Miller. The team takedown guys are going to get brought along quickly due to their ridiculous contracts they have, but I'd much rather see Johny fight another young undefeated fighter than watch him get fed to somebody with way more experience than him like Koschek or Marcus Davis.

Post #8   10/13/09 11:49:44PM   

hotrodttt

hotrodttt Avatar

Chips:

Posted by ncordless

Posted by cowcatcher

Yeah, and I wouldn't sleep on Funch. You could easily make the argument that he is a step up from Amir.

Johny still has a ways to go before he is even sniffing title contention. He has the chance for a great future, but there is no reason to fast track him when he is only 6-0. They tried with his teammate Rosholt and ended up making him look silly against Dan Miller. The team takedown guys are going to get brought along quickly due to their ridiculous contracts they have, but I'd much rather see Johny fight another young undefeated fighter than watch him get fed to somebody with way more experience than him like Koschek or Marcus Davis.

Well Funch is a fighter with less abilities than Amir, Funch has heart though. He's still danderous even if he is hurt as he's showed many times. But Amir is better in every aspect of mma than Funch.

Post #9   10/14/09 12:12:43AM