Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Idea for the site, username change

THIS TOPIC HAS BEEN LOCKED Print  
Good Idea?
Yes, it would benefit the site 12 40%
No, it would cause problems 11 37%
Yes, but a smaller cost 4 13%
other, state your reasoning 3 10%
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

hotrodttt

Ridin the MMA WW since 02 !

hotrodttt Avatar

Career:2,607-1,396
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
So I had this idea that if you wanted to change you username then you can for a small fee of maybe 5 dollars that you can pay via credit card. Not saying I would ever change my name but it seems like a good option for the playground. Post any questions and I'll clarify. If you can mods it seems like a good idea that could be up for debate?

Post #1   10/12/09 10:57:11PM   

AnDeRsonDaSiLvA

BANNED

AnDeRsonDaSiLvA Avatar

Career:510-259
Chips:
I think only premium members should be able to do name changes . the premo people can do name bets like ug , it will promote people buying em . Who wouldn't want to give some one a filthy name for a couple weeks ?

Post #2   10/12/09 11:16:34PM   

hotrodttt

hotrodttt Avatar

Chips:

Posted by AnDeRsonDaSiLvA

I think only premium members should be able to do name changes . the premo people can do name bets like ug , it will promote people buying em . Who wouldn't want to give some one a filthy name for a couple weeks ?

Good idea but I think if people want to do name bets then they should be charged and names should be pre approved by the mods because we don't wan't naughty names all over the place.

Post #3   10/12/09 11:18:54PM   

breakdown5

MMA Sensei

breakdown5 Avatar

Career:877-464
Chips:
While I think it would benefit the site to charge to change usernames, I don't think that a lot of people are clamoring for this sort of thing. Also, I believe people have done so before by PM'ing the administration. I'm buzzin' hard now so I could be wrong, but I think this is the case.

Post #4   10/12/09 11:18:56PM   

hotrodttt

hotrodttt Avatar

Chips:

Posted by breakdown5

While I think it would benefit the site to charge to change usernames, I don't think that a lot of people are clamoring for this sort of thing. Also, I believe people have done so before by PM'ing the administration. I'm buzzin' hard now so I could be wrong, but I think this is the case.

It wouldn't hurt to implement something like this as it would open up a new avenue for profit for mmapg.

Post #5   10/12/09 11:21:47PM   

grappler0000

MODular Approach

grappler0000 Avatar

Career:2,803-1,547
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by hotrodttt

Posted by breakdown5

It wouldn't hurt to implement something like this as it would open up a new avenue for profit for mmapg.

I think it would be a good idea. It's really a win-win situation. It's not something that will happen everyday and it's more of a want than a need...which is what makes it the perfect candidate for something like that.

Post #6   10/12/09 11:57:04PM   

Shawn91111

The MMAPlayground's Co-Creator

Shawn91111 Avatar

Career:2,718-1,421
Chips:
Ill try to be careful of my wording , but I had the premium account and really didnt see much of a difference. There should be a premium members forum or the like. The removed ads were ok, but I got used to them being there after awhile. The prize amount being doubled is nice, but that was even brought back down a bit, but free money is not something I'll complain about.

Post #7   10/13/09 12:23:22AM   

emfleek

FA-Q

emfleek Avatar

Career:2,304-1,218
Chips:
RE: username change

I really have no opinion on this. I'm cool with whatever. Hopefully hippysmacker can chime in to this thread with his opinion on the matter.

As for the Premium membership...

Having to deal with no advertisements, alone, is enough for me to purchase a Premium membership. I'll continue to purchase one as long as the Playground is around. It's the least I can do for using this place as much as I do. As for the prize money...more premium members = prize money DOESN'T drop.

And I don't really think that a special forum for Premium members would serve much purpose. I'm guessing it wouldn't be very active. I'm not even sure what purpose it would serve...

Post #8   10/13/09 9:02:39AM   

DCRage

Representin' The MA's

DCRage Avatar

Career:978-738
Chips:
My experience on another site like this that allows name changes is that, with very few exceptions, you have to pay $10 to do it. I did that once because I was too lazy to upload a bunch of my game FAQs I'd written to another site and didn't want to leave my old account after 5 years (would've been OK because it's in good standing). As for here, I'm kinda in the middle. I could block ads on my own without a Premium Membership but I decided to keep paying for mine because I like this site enough to want to support it and I want it to stick around, plus I like the extra features I get. Name change-wise, I would be in favor of it here assuming a nominal fee was charged, $10 sounds about right with restrictions on how often you could do it, probably only once per account. Everyone should have to pay for it, Premium Members included.

Post #9   10/13/09 9:25:49AM   

emfleek

FA-Q

emfleek Avatar

Chips:

Posted by DCRage

Name change-wise, I would be in favor of it here assuming a nominal fee was charged, $10 sounds about right with restrictions on how often you could do it, probably only once per account. Everyone should have to pay for it, Premium Members included.

I agree with everything stated here. Good post, DC.

Post #10   10/13/09 9:35:43AM   

cowcatcher

Steady MODdin'

cowcatcher Avatar

Career:2,556-1,465
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
im not opposed to that at all, its a pretty good idea really, but it requires the programmer to have to come in and make changes and that isnt a freebie, so hippysmacker will be the guy to talk to on this one.

Post #11   10/13/09 9:54:13AM   

FedortoAll

Learning to Sprawl

Career:879-453
Camp: fightlockdown
Chips:
I've been wanting to get my username changed for a while, but I haven't been sure who to contact. I personally wouldn't want to pay for that though.. I mean, the site's over-priced premium account fee is enough of a turn-off, you don't want to scare people away from the site because you want money for something so small.

That's just my take, anyway.

Post #12   10/15/09 7:24:05PM   

emfleek

FA-Q

emfleek Avatar

Chips:

Posted by FedortoAll

the site's over-priced premium account fee is enough of a turn-off,

Are you serious? Playing for free already gives you the opportunity to win REAL money. Paying for a premium account DOUBLES the potential prize money, gets you a t-shirt, removes ads from the forums, allows you to have a signature, a bigger avatar, a custom title...What else can be done? We can't offer sexual favors.

Regardless of what you may think, it *does* cost money to run this site. I think the premium fee is very reasonable and I would definitely recommend that everyone sign up for it.*

* And no, I have nothing to gain from it.

Last edited 10/16/09 8:15AM server time by emfleek
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #13   10/16/09 8:13:26AM   

DCRage

Representin' The MA's

DCRage Avatar

Career:978-738
Chips:
And think about this-the fee per month is probably cheaper than that coffee you're having in the morning. It works out to something like $1.50 a month AND you've got 20+ chances to win money per season instead of just 2-4 (Premium Members are eligible to win up to $50 per UFC event).

Post #14   10/16/09 8:23:02AM   

Shawn91111

The MMAPlayground's Co-Creator

Shawn91111 Avatar

Career:2,718-1,421
Chips:

Posted by emfleek

Posted by FedortoAll

the site's over-priced premium account fee is enough of a turn-off,

Are you serious? Playing for free already gives you the opportunity to win REAL money. Paying for a premium account DOUBLES the potential prize money, gets you a t-shirt, removes ads from the forums, allows you to have a signature, a bigger avatar, a custom title...What else can be done? We can't offer sexual favors.

Regardless of what you may think, it *does* cost money to run this site. I think the premium fee is very reasonable and I would definitely recommend that everyone sign up for it.*

* And no, I have nothing to gain from it.

With the exception of double the money, there really isnt anything listed there that makes it stick out. I had the premium account and it just wasnt much of a difference, but to each their own I guess.

Post #15   10/16/09 9:40:55AM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2