Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Jamie Varner: ‘I want to apologize to Donald Cerrone for every ill word I ever said about him’

Print  
Posted By Message

ThaAxeMurderer7

MMA Sensei

ThaAxeMurderer7 Avatar

Career:1,277-814
Chips:
What was fast-becoming one of the most heated feuds in Mixed Martial Arts could be simmering down now thanks to an apology issued by current WEC Lightweight Champion Jamie Varner on the popular Underground forum.

His statement comes on the heels of a hard-fought bout between personal rival Donald Cerrone and newly crowned interim champ Ben Henderson this past Saturday night. It reads as follows:

First of all I want to apologize to Donald Cerrone for every ill word I ever said about him. I’d also like to apologize to all his fans and anyone else I may have pissed off by my actions. Donald is a great fighter that fights with all heart and he’s my toughest fight to date. I wish him nothing but the best and it was an honor to fight a fighter with such heart and skill.

I have a tough test ahead. I’m really looking forward to getting back in there and proving to all of you why I am the WEC lightweight champ. I know there are always gonna be haters. I hope most of you accept my apology because you guys are the reason why I’m able to do what I love for a living. Thanks for taking the time to read this and its time to go train.

Link

Post #1   10/12/09 8:22:03PM   

emfleek

FA-Q

emfleek Avatar

Career:2,245-1,185
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
Pure class.

Props to Jamie, for sure.

Post #2   10/12/09 8:36:22PM   

Post_Oakley

Learning to Sprawl

Post_Oakley Avatar

Career:-
Chips:
very impressed with varner stepping up to apologize

like fleek said props to him for sure

Post #3   10/12/09 8:40:12PM   

Chuteboxer

Standup Guy

Chuteboxer Avatar

Career:297-176
Camp: The Grappling Academy
Chips:
This is surprising, but I respect Varner's class. I may not be a fan of his, but he's all right in my eyes.

Post #4   10/12/09 9:17:10PM   

cowcatcher

Steady MODdin'

cowcatcher Avatar

Career:2,476-1,422
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
TBH throughout their whole feud i thought varner was the one acting with more class and basically got baited into a war of words. regardless of who said what first and all that nonsense, it was big of jamie to give cerrone props in the cage after his fight with ben, and this is another thing that shows how big of a person varner is. hes gained a lot of respect from me here.

Post #5   10/12/09 9:44:26PM   

CwB

MMA Sensei

CwB Avatar

Career:221-151
Chips:
I truly wonder the motivation behind this apology.

Was it because he sees the heart that cerrone fights with?
Some personal reflection that led him to no longer hold a grudge?
Is it due to the fact that he is still very, very young and this apology shows that he is growing up?

Or was it

Motivated by the fact that he has alienated a lot of potential fans, and he would like to apologize for publicity sake? - His comment "I’d also like to apologize to all his fans and anyone else I may have pissed off by my actions." is a comment you dont hear very often coming from fighters POST grudge talk...

Or

Is it due to the fact that Cerrone just lost the fight that was supposed to lead to a heated rematch? Therefore ending the need to build the hype for this fight.

Normally fighters hold there grudge until they can fight it out - leading to the post fight hugs and newly found respect for each other that so often happens-

I dont mean to discredit this apology at all, its just the timing is really weird. Less then a week ago they where still trading insults then cerone loses and two days later this apology surfaces, just weird timing.

Again let me state that I don't want to discredit this apology, as i personally have absolutely no idea what kind of man Varner is or the character he has.

And the truth is most likely a combination of all of these reasons or none at all.
Either way props to Varner for stepping up and being the bigger man in this situation...

Post #6   10/12/09 9:54:33PM   

gcraig22

MMA Regular

gcraig22 Avatar

Career:617-408
Chips:
I was at the event, and after the Henderson and Cerrone fight, Varner came in and said that he doesn't like Cerrone, but he has much respect for him after seeing the fight. I hope they meet in the near future.

Post #7   10/12/09 10:57:33PM   

emfleek

FA-Q

emfleek Avatar

Career:2,245-1,185
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by cowcatcher

TBH throughout their whole feud i thought varner was the one acting with more class and basically got baited into a war of words. regardless of who said what first and all that nonsense, it was big of jamie to give cerrone props in the cage after his fight with ben, and this is another thing that shows how big of a person varner is. hes gained a lot of respect from me here.

Absolutely. I was a big Cowboy fan up until this war of words crap started up. I still like the guy but he's got some growing up to do before I'll consider him a favorite fighter.

Not that he cares or should he...

Post #8   10/12/09 11:00:22PM   

Nightmare27

In Full Mount

Nightmare27 Avatar

Career:570-410
Camp: Strikers Inc.
Chips:
Im not sure why but this is coming off as kind of sarcastic to me. Its like he's just tired of getting booed so now he's putting on this front. I still hope that they get to fight eachother and then we'll see Varner's true colors again.

Post #9   10/12/09 11:39:44PM   

breakdown5

MMA Sensei

breakdown5 Avatar

Career:877-464
Chips:
They might as well bury the hatchet. The rematch between the two has lost some of the luster since Cerrone didn't get past Henderson. I'd still like to see Cerrone/Varner II, but I think that Henderson/Varner will be pretty good as well.

Post #10   10/12/09 11:56:28PM   

bjj1605

Heavyweight Champ

bjj1605 Avatar

Career:1,495-875
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
This takes a lot of class and humility. To bad your casual fan still won't like him.

Plus ten respect points. Level up

Post #11   10/13/09 12:20:43AM   

Jackelope

Go ahead, MOD my day

Jackelope Avatar

Career:864-486
Chips:
Ehh... I wrote a whole big thing here but I decided to delete it. Let the fans think what they want to think. Just know this- Jamie is a very cool dude and this doesn't surprise me in the least that he would want to be the bigger man through all of this. I hope Cerrone has the class to react to these words from Jamie in a respectful manner. Even having said that he can still want his fight against Jamie, but do it with respect, man.

Post #12   10/13/09 12:35:03AM   

DCRage

Representin' The MA's

DCRage Avatar

Career:978-738
Chips:
Admittedly I'm surprised by this, it could've been a good rematch for WEC with the bad blood between them but it has lost some of it's luster since Henderson beat Cerrone for the Interim LW Title. Hopefully they still rematch someday and it's a fair finish.

Post #13   10/13/09 6:29:02AM   

Aaronno9

King in the North

Aaronno9 Avatar

Career:796-457
Camp: MMA Worldwide
Chips:

Posted by cowcatcher

Post #14   10/13/09 7:01:16AM