Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Ben Henderson ‘definitely’ beat Donald Cerrone

Print  
Posted By Message

MMAcca

Heavyweight Champ

MMAcca Avatar

Career:1,937-1,115
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
“No excuses. I take my hat off to the guy. He did what he had to do. No excuses. It was a great fight and I’m ready to do it again anytime … I think he won the fight. Some people say it might not have gone that way, but he definitely won the fight.”

LINK

Post #1   10/12/09 9:47:37AM   

sparky

AV BET Record: 41-10

sparky Avatar

Career:2,860-1,571
Camp: Team Fry Guy
Chips:
Henderson won the 1st, 2nd and 3rd rounds of that fight in my opinion but it was a really close 1st rd.

Post #2   10/12/09 11:10:52AM   

Kpro

I STAB WATERBEDS!

Kpro Avatar

Career:2,583-1,321
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
For those interested

Takedowns: 8-1 Henderson
Pass Half Guard: 2-1 Henderson
Pass Side: 2-1 Cerrone
Pass to Back: 1-0 Henderson
Submission Attempts: 8-0 Cerrone

Striking: 75-50 Henderson
Head Strikes: 45-32 Henderson
Body Strikes: 25-8 Henderson
Leg Strikes: 10-5 Cerrone

Of course, check it out with round by round data at Fight Metric - Henderson vs. Cerrone

Post #3   10/12/09 11:28:37AM   

bjj1605

Heavyweight Champ

bjj1605 Avatar

Career:1,573-914
Chips:

Posted by Kpro

For those interested

Takedowns: 8-1 Henderson
Pass Half Guard: 2-1 Henderson
Pass Side: 2-1 Cerrone
Pass to Back: 1-0 Henderson
Submission Attempts: 8-0 Cerrone

Striking: 75-50 Henderson
Head Strikes: 45-32 Henderson
Body Strikes: 25-8 Henderson
Leg Strikes: 10-5 Cerrone

Of course, check it out with round by round data at Fight Metric - Henderson vs. Cerrone

I thought people learned long ago that stats don't tell the story. The fact that henderson is up in striking shows that. I'm not arguing that this may be the case but there was a clear difference in the effectiveness of their strikes. Cerrone had Henderson in some real trouble in the fourth and fifth rounds with both his strikes and his submissions. In the first round he almost finished it with subs as well. Those 8 subs were all close and some of them were nearly a lock.

I can see how Henderson would get the nod because of the scoring system in the US but if that fight had been in Japan Cerrone would have won. He did better as a whole and was closer to finishing the fight. IMO, Henderson was never even close to a finish. Maybe one day the scoring criteria or the judges education will improve and this sort of thing won't be an issue.

I'm very impressed with Cerrone's humility in defeat and this just makes me like the guy even more.

Post #4   10/12/09 11:55:23AM   

Kpro

I STAB WATERBEDS!

Kpro Avatar

Chips:

Posted by bjj1605

I thought people learned long ago that stats don't tell the story.

I can see how Henderson would get the nod because of the scoring system in the US but if that fight had been in Japan Cerrone would have won. He did better as a whole and was closer to finishing the fight.

If you use the LINK above. Using the "stats" it shows that in a Japanese (overall) scoring system Cerrone shows as the winner. While in a US scoring system Benson barely edges out the 48-47.

So the "stats" that don't tell the story show exactly what you think of the fight.

Last edited 10/12/09 12:18PM server time by kpro
Edit note/reason: n/a
3 total post edits

Post #5   10/12/09 12:03:39PM   

jay98107

MMA Sensei

jay98107 Avatar

Career:2,908-1,632
Camp: Playground Legends
Chips:

Posted by Kpro

Posted by bjj1605

I can see how Henderson would get the nod because of the scoring system in the US but if that fight had been in Japan Cerrone would have won. He did better as a whole and was closer to finishing the fight.

If you use the LINK above. Using the "stats" it shows that in a Japanese (overall) scoring system Cerrone shows as the winner. While in a US scoring system Benson barely edges out the 48-47.

So the "stats" that don't tell the story show exactly what you think of the fight.

Actually, under fight metric scoring it was a 48-48 draw. 1st round was scored a draw.

Post #6   10/12/09 1:04:19PM   

D0wnUnd6e6r

Don't Eat The Yellow Snow

D0wnUnd6e6r Avatar

Career:2,064-1,158
Chips:
personally i though benson won the fight, no question about it.I don't know there's so much controversy about this either. Henderson had the most dominant positions through the fight I had no trouble dealing with it after the fight, even though i had picked cerrone and wanted him to win, I knew the ud would go to Benson. He read cerrone's gameplan from top to bottom and nullified it most of the fight. Im happy for the guy, but now we don't get varner cerrone II

Post #7   10/12/09 1:50:34PM   

tallica62

MMA Sensei

tallica62 Avatar

Career:2,029-1,248
Camp: Playground Bullies
Chips:
i thought it was an awesome fight, but i felt that Cerrone had won

round 1, although close, I think Cerrone had the edge.

round 2 and 3 to Henderson

round 4 and 5 to Cerrone

Takedowns are so lopsidedly weighted...they count for wayyyyy too much. I think that is what won henderson the fight.

take down points need to be reconsidered...you can take someone down and land in a disadvantageous position, or sometimes the other guy would rather be taken down and be on his back...just cuz you take someone down doesnt mean you were "better" or should get more points

you could take someone down and land right into a triangle..although youll get submitted, you get the points for taking him down and sealing your own fate..how does that make sense... they should give points if you taken them down and use it to your advantage...not just as a mere point stacker

Post #8   10/12/09 2:07:39PM   

bjj1605

Heavyweight Champ

bjj1605 Avatar

Career:1,573-914
Chips:

Posted by Kpro

Posted by bjj1605

You appear to be using some really flawed logic here bub. How do that stats show Cerrone won under Japanese scoring and Benson won under US scoring. Many people, my self included, thought Cerrone should get the 1st, 4th, and 5th rounds. Which under a US system makes him the winner.

Stats absolutely do not tell the story. Counting sub attempts is meaningless because one sub attempt could be a lot closer than another and therefore mean more in the judges eyes. Counting stirkes in general is also a waste because effective striking is what matters.

I didn't really think that this was a point of contention. Boxing fans and analysts learned long ago that stats can't tell the whole story and I think it is even more obvious in MMA.

Post #9   10/12/09 2:26:08PM   

Kpro

I STAB WATERBEDS!

Kpro Avatar

Chips:

Posted by bjj1605

You appear to be using some really flawed logic here bub. How do that stats show Cerrone won under Japanese scoring and Benson won under US scoring. Many people, my self included, thought Cerrone should get the 1st, 4th, and 5th rounds. Which under a US system makes him the winner.

Stats absolutely do not tell the story. Counting sub attempts is meaningless because one sub attempt could be a lot closer than another and therefore mean more in the judges eyes. Counting stirkes in general is also a waste because effective striking is what matters.

You can go to fightmetric to see how they weigh each aspect of the MMA game. I simply explained to you that regardless of the lopsided takedown and striking advantage for Henderson, their system shows that Cerrone overall did more in the fight, which is how the Japanese scoring you referenced is supposed to be done.

Their stats "agree" with you. If you think it is flawed logic, it is not my logic, I pointed out to you that their "stats" show exactly who you think won the fight as the winner using their overall statistical system.

Not sure what you think you are rebutting as I never said stats tell the story, but in fact pointed out that the stats and system used on the specific website quoted above agree with your thoughts on who won the fight; maybe re-read my post.

Last edited 10/12/09 2:54PM server time by kpro
Edit note/reason: n/a
4 total post edits

Post #10   10/12/09 2:41:08PM   

xdanish020

MMA Sensei

xdanish020 Avatar

Career:2,529-1,370
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
Cowboy won 1, 4 and 5 IMO.

Post #11   10/12/09 6:36:20PM   

jocka

In Full Mount

jocka Avatar

Career:237-170
Chips:
I also gave rd 1-4-5 to Cerrone, worst case scenario the first rd should of been a draw making the fight a draw as well. Still this was one of the best fight this year if not the best.

Post #12   10/12/09 11:51:22PM   

Svartorm

Hammer of the Gods

Svartorm Avatar

Career:2,077-1,253
Chips:
If Henderson wasn't double jointed, he'd have been subbed in the second with the triangle armbar. Such is life.

DREAM 1 - 2nd in Pts
Cage Rage 23 - 6th in Pts
Secondary League Season 3 - 12th in Pts
Secondary League Season 7 - 16th in Wagers
Primary League Season 7 - 26th in Wagers
Secondary League Season 6 - 30th in Pts
Secondary League Season 1 - 31st in Pts
Primary League Season 6 - 39th in Wagers
Secondary League Season 7 - 41st in Pts

Post #13   10/13/09 12:05:44AM