Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Shinya Aoki vs Joachim Hansen pissed me off

Print  
Posted By Message

warglory

Heavyweight Champ

warglory Avatar

Career:535-344
Chips:
I know I am just being bitter, but I really think that was Hansen's fight until he finally succumbed to that armbar. I was neutral going into this fight, but during it I couldn't help but side with Joachim who was putting up a hell of a fight and at times even beating Shinya at his own game! I guess when I leave a match feeling like this it means it was a good one.

Post #1   10/7/09 11:35:43PM   

Aaronno9

King in the North

Aaronno9 Avatar

Career:798-457
Chips:
It would of been interesting to see how the judges scored it if Aoki hadnt caught the arm. No doubt he would of took the nod, but under dreams scoring criteria you could easily argue for Hellboy.

Im still bitter about Aoki taking 7 minutes to recover from getting knocked out. It was clear as day the shot to the vagina didnt effect him to much and he was just playing for time.

Post #2   10/8/09 2:51:40AM   

mentalcase

MMA Expert/Genius/God

mentalcase Avatar

Career:1,559-801
Chips:
aoki took a groin shot looked to the ref to stop it and during the short time it took for the ref to stop it hansen landed a few kicks to aoki head witch aoki did not defend against cause he was expecting a break for the groin shot

thats why he got a long time to recovey from the kicks to the head even tho those were legal they were set up by the groin shot

Post #3   10/8/09 3:03:55AM   

Wallass

MMA Sensei

Wallass Avatar

Career:2,413-1,434
Camp: Canada's Finest
Chips:
I dont think you are right mentalcase. Not once in the 7 minutes did Aoki grab his balls which would mean he was hurt. This was as blatantly biased officiating as they come, I have lost a lot of respect for Aoki after that one.

Post #4   10/8/09 9:53:44AM   

emfleek

FA-Q

emfleek Avatar

Career:2,363-1,248
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by Wallass

I dont think you are right mentalcase. Not once in the 7 minutes did Aoki grab his balls which would mean he was hurt. This was as blatantly biased officiating as they come, I have lost a lot of respect for Aoki after that one.

Since when is grabbing yourself the only sign of being hurt? You can't say he wasn't hurt simply because he didn't place his hand on his nuts.

Post #5   10/8/09 9:58:54AM   

AchillesHeel

Heavyweight Champ

AchillesHeel Avatar

Career:845-448
Chips:

Posted by warglory

I know I am just being bitter, but I really think that was Hansen's fight until he finally succumbed to that armbar. I was neutral going into this fight, but during it I couldn't help but side with Joachim who was putting up a hell of a fight and at times even beating Shinya at his own game! I guess when I leave a match feeling like this it means it was a good one.

I agree with your analysis of the match, but it didn't piss me off at all. Quite the contrary, I thought it was a great fight that featured many of the things I like about the sport. "It ain't over 'til it's over."

And Hansen threatening Aoki with submissions reminded me of Mark Hunt against Fedor Emelianenko, with Frank Trigg shouting "Shut. Up."

Post #6   10/8/09 10:36:26AM   

JawsOGRE

Learning to Sprawl

Career:634-673
Chips:
The ref was constantly warning about hits to the back of the head... when I was watching, about 50% of the ones he was talking about were to the ear.
They picked his leg up a few times when it was going through the ropes which seemed to unbalance him and allowed Aoki to take him down...
Really... from the look of the refereeing, it is impossible to get a fair match against Aoki in Japan.
I'd debate not taking that fight if I was a pro-fighter... you'd be against such a wall even before you started....

I agree with the 'pissed off' group.

Post #7   10/9/09 12:18:10PM   

Jackelope

Go ahead, MOD my day

Jackelope Avatar

Career:864-486
Chips:
Aoki isn't going to win any fans over if he continuously has these kinds of issues in his fights. People have criticized him (often times unfairly) in the past for being a "panzy" (their words, not mine) and now the same types of things are popping up again. I don't personally believe anyone who is willing to strap on the 4 oz'ers and go at it is a "panzy" but I have to admit that the first thing I thought when the fight was originally stopped was "Oh no... the Aoki haters are going to have something to say about this!"

I used to be pretty neutral on Aoki and Japan, but I had some questions I'd like answered after this fight, too. Sad, because he is uniquely talented and Dream always puts on exciting events.

Post #8   10/9/09 6:21:29PM   

Aether

Heavyweight Champ

Aether Avatar

Career:946-505
Chips:
Well I slowed the fight down to 1 frame per second and you can see in the last 4-5 frames that the upkick landed straight in his groin.

Hansen made the mistake of trying to escape when he knew there was 10 seconds left when he could have just held the position he was in. I wanted Hansen to win but he got subbed fair and square, and Aoki wasn't acting. Dude took an upkick to the groin, then to the neck and another to the temple. I thought it was highly unprofessional of them to accuse him of acting, especially since they said that they couldn't see what happened.

Post #9   10/10/09 12:03:34AM   

crushedbacon

In Full Mount

crushedbacon Avatar

Career:868-562
Camp: West Coast Canada
Chips:
IMO Aoki was sellin that groin strike pretty hard. Granted it might have happened but I think its impact was exaggerated, but then again its just what I think. Aoki is a talented dude, but lets see him with out the advantageous tights and in the UFC fighting the powerhouse LW's. I think he gets steamrolled by quite a few of them.

Post #10   10/10/09 1:18:15PM   

Aether

Heavyweight Champ

Aether Avatar

Career:946-505
Chips:
I think anyone who is criticizing the guy should try taking an upkick square in the balls, and then two more kicks to the neck and temple, then recover in like 3 minutes and win the fight.

Slow the video down and watch it for yourself guys. There is a camera angle that shows it from the front. The referee walks in front of them, and as he passes by you can see the upkick land full force square on his nuts, and he instantly reaches for his groin, legs buckle and doubles over.

He didn't just take a light groin strike, he also got kicked in the head twice while he was recovering. Fighters are allowed 5 minutes for a reason, I don't think it's for anyone to say how badly a fighter is or isn't hurt. There was a lot of similar criticism leveled at Jamie Varner because the knee didn't look hard, and he ended up having a detached retina, a potentially career ending injury.

Personally I'm not even an Aoki fan. I was rooting for Hansen, and I had some suspicions about how badly he was hurt until I slowed the video down and watched it.

Post #11   10/10/09 1:56:18PM   

Jackelope

Go ahead, MOD my day

Jackelope Avatar

Career:864-486
Chips:

Posted by Aether

I think anyone who is criticizing the guy should try taking an upkick square in the balls, and then two more kicks to the neck and temple, then recover in like 3 minutes and win the fight.

Slow the video down and watch it for yourself guys. There is a camera angle that shows it from the front. The referee walks in front of them, and as he passes by you can see the upkick land full force square on his nuts, and he instantly reaches for his groin, legs buckle and doubles over.

He didn't just take a light groin strike, he also got kicked in the head twice while he was recovering. Fighters are allowed 5 minutes for a reason, I don't think it's for anyone to say how badly a fighter is or isn't hurt. There was a lot of similar criticism leveled at Jamie Varner because the knee didn't look hard, and he ended up having a detached retina, a potentially career ending injury.

Personally I'm not even an Aoki fan. I was rooting for Hansen, and I had some suspicions about how badly he was hurt until I slowed the video down and watched it.

The last paragraph sums up what I was getting at. It's just too bad for Aoki because people now automatically assume he's sandbagging or something. I'd like to see him have a long streak of fights where this kind of thing doesn't happen, but that's not necessarily up to Aoki.

Post #12   10/10/09 3:44:01PM