Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Selling stocks

Print  
Posted By Message

Jackelope

Go ahead, MOD my day

Jackelope Avatar

Career:864-486
Chips:
Anybody else on the playground an investor? Today I sold 1100 shares of a penny stock and it went up another .15 after I sold it. Just had to share my story. Anybody else have any good stories of losing out on big paydays?

Post #1   10/5/09 1:02:55PM   

mikevolz

Standup Guy

mikevolz Avatar

Career:183-111
Camp: The Stedman Effect
Chips:
take two interactive, i was set to purchase a few hundred shares before EA attempted the buyout.

went up 10$ a share

Post #2   10/5/09 1:09:59PM   

Jackelope

Go ahead, MOD my day

Jackelope Avatar

Chips:
Ouch. How many percent was the increase? It was about a 15% increase for me on my stock. At least I didn't miss out on thousands.

Post #3   10/5/09 1:12:38PM   

Kpro

I STAB WATERBEDS!

Kpro Avatar

Career:2,518-1,294
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
I've avoided the stock market aside from about 3 years back I had totaled about $15k in a stock matching plan for a financial company I worked for and decided to pull it out because I was purchasing a house.

The company I worked for, and had the stock in, was owned by the infamous Lehman Brothers who filed bankruptcy not too long after I got out.

I imagine if I did have a portfolio in the stock market it would consist mainly of supplies companies like concrete, iron, steel, etc. With how much construction, road repairs, etc. that goes on regardless of the economy I feel like they'd be the best investments, but I don't follow it enough to know if that is even a solid strategy.

I just feel that I have a better handle on sports betting than the stock market.

Post #4   10/5/09 1:13:41PM   

mikevolz

Standup Guy

mikevolz Avatar

Chips:
15$ to 25$....

Post #5   10/5/09 1:16:47PM   

Jackelope

Go ahead, MOD my day

Jackelope Avatar

Chips:
15-25 is a pretty big jump. You could have made some bank, that's for sure. There has been a number of those kinds of stories but at least you weren't already in the stock and got out before it went up, haha. If we're talking those kinds of stories I probably would have invested in Tazer or something way back in the day to earn some major cash Those guys made out like bandits.

Kpro- I dunno about the construction industry and all of that. I'm sort of tied into it with the work I do right now, and they're all taking a major hit right now.

Post #6   10/5/09 1:37:12PM   

mikevolz

Standup Guy

mikevolz Avatar

Chips:
i have a little in the market for long term, but my short term investments actually are all in mma betting.

Post #7   10/5/09 2:54:15PM   

Svartorm

Hammer of the Gods

Svartorm Avatar

Career:2,077-1,253
Chips:
Same here. I'm learning a bit more about boxing bets as well, and thats working out well too. So, aside from a few "I should have bet this way!" etc moments, don't have much to share on bad trades/bets.

DREAM 1 - 2nd in Pts
Cage Rage 23 - 6th in Pts
Secondary League Season 3 - 12th in Pts
Secondary League Season 7 - 16th in Wagers
Primary League Season 7 - 26th in Wagers
Secondary League Season 6 - 30th in Pts
Secondary League Season 1 - 31st in Pts
Primary League Season 6 - 39th in Wagers
Secondary League Season 7 - 41st in Pts

Post #8   10/5/09 6:45:20PM   

hotrodttt

Ridin the MMA WW since 02 !

hotrodttt Avatar

Career:2,621-1,406
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
It's smart to buy stock now at it's low price right now and when our economy recovers the stocl value will rise. My advise to somebody with a lot of money is to turn most of it into gold.

Post #9   10/5/09 6:45:26PM   

CanadianCripplr

MMA Regular

CanadianCripplr Avatar

Career:1,448-818
Camp: Canadian Power Team
Chips:
about 15 years back a rich guy I used to train some racehorses for[ my job] told me I should buy some stocks. So I give him 2000 to buy some 10 cent stocks on some goldmine up north he heard about. I let him handle it since he was in the know.
I watch them in the paper for a few months going up up up. They hit 60 cents and I tell guy I want to sell at least half to get some cash back. He says no, no theyre goin to a buck then we will sell, just wait, be patient. I figure hes the millionaire Im the horseguy Ill listen.
2 weeks later they are at 50 cents he says no biggie, announcement comin they r goin up. 2 weeks later they are worth 5 cents and soon after they are not on the market. Doh, not huge cash but my foray into stocks...

Last edited 10/6/09 12:06AM server time by canadiancripplr
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #10   10/6/09 12:05:17AM   

ncordless

MODulation

ncordless Avatar

Career:1,903-1,083
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
I bought my first stock when I was thirteen years old. I bought ten shares of St. Paul Insurance and and twenty shares of MicroTech with my paper route money. My dad wanted to teach me about investing. I held both companies for 1 year. I lost about 20% on the St. Paul and scored huge with the MicroTech... the stock doubled in value, split, and then doubled in value again.

Recently, at the height of the recession, I began purchasing cheap banks. I am doing so with a long-term view, and plan on holding them for at least 5-10 years while they make a recovery. I got some Citigroup for dirt cheap. My hunch is that in 5-10 years the shares will be worth somewhere close to where they were in 2006-07. Who knows, maybe I will lose it. But to me buying when everyone else is scared and selling when they are acting irrationally optimistic seems like a decent strategy.

My advice in this economy is that it really is a buyer's market if you can afford to hold on to the shares for a while. Expansions last much longer than recessions and buying at the trough (low point) is a good way to ensure you will get a return.

I also suggest investing in companies you know and respect. If they make a good product, chances are they will be around for a while.

Whatever you do... don't buy a bunch of gold. There is a reason that crap gets sold on the commercials of talk radio and not at your local broker. It is a doomsday mentality kind of investment. Unless you really wanna play the hunch that the global economy is going to collapse you are better off putting your money in something else. Gold is like that box of 7.62x.39 bullets you keep in the basement "just in case". But gold is way too volatile to put anything in that you can't afford to lose.

Post #11   10/6/09 1:55:49AM   

Svartorm

Hammer of the Gods

Svartorm Avatar

Career:2,077-1,253
Chips:
I keep my 7.62s in a dozen banana clips in my gun safe, but I get your drift.

DREAM 1 - 2nd in Pts
Cage Rage 23 - 6th in Pts
Secondary League Season 3 - 12th in Pts
Secondary League Season 7 - 16th in Wagers
Primary League Season 7 - 26th in Wagers
Secondary League Season 6 - 30th in Pts
Secondary League Season 1 - 31st in Pts
Primary League Season 6 - 39th in Wagers
Secondary League Season 7 - 41st in Pts

Post #12   10/6/09 12:05:52PM   

bayonetxwork

In Full Mount

bayonetxwork Avatar

Career:114-60
Camp: TUFFS Fight Club
Chips:
I'm a college student not in the business field but I've done my fair share of research and wish to start investing once I get some more money saved up...I want to get into the day trading aspect with penny stocks and what not...I know theres a lot of risk there, but oh well, we'll see how it goes haha

Post #13   10/6/09 12:07:45PM   

Jackelope

Go ahead, MOD my day

Jackelope Avatar

Chips:

Posted by bayonetxwork

I'm a college student not in the business field but I've done my fair share of research and wish to start investing once I get some more money saved up...I want to get into the day trading aspect with penny stocks and what not...I know theres a lot of risk there, but oh well, we'll see how it goes haha

It's definitely high risk, but it's also high reward. I'd suggest starting off with a small amount of money. I kind of wish I hadn't jumped in with a couple grand like I did right from the get go, but it's worked out OK so far. Good luck!

Post #14   10/6/09 12:15:38PM   

hotrodttt

Ridin the MMA WW since 02 !

hotrodttt Avatar

Career:2,621-1,406
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:

Posted by ncordless

I bought my first stock when I was thirteen years old. I bought ten shares of St. Paul Insurance and and twenty shares of MicroTech with my paper route money. My dad wanted to teach me about investing. I held both companies for 1 year. I lost about 20% on the St. Paul and scored huge with the MicroTech... the stock doubled in value, split, and then doubled in value again.

Recently, at the height of the recession, I began purchasing cheap banks. I am doing so with a long-term view, and plan on holding them for at least 5-10 years while they make a recovery. I got some Citigroup for dirt cheap. My hunch is that in 5-10 years the shares will be worth somewhere close to where they were in 2006-07. Who knows, maybe I will lose it. But to me buying when everyone else is scared and selling when they are acting irrationally optimistic seems like a decent strategy.

My advice in this economy is that it really is a buyer's market if you can afford to hold on to the shares for a while. Expansions last much longer than recessions and buying at the trough (low point) is a good way to ensure you will get a return.

I also suggest investing in companies you know and respect. If they make a good product, chances are they will be around for a while.

Whatever you do... don't buy a bunch of gold. There is a reason that crap gets sold on the commercials of talk radio and not at your local broker. It is a doomsday mentality kind of investment. Unless you really wanna play the hunch that the global economy is going to collapse you are better off putting your money in something else. Gold is like that box of 7.62x.39 bullets you keep in the basement "just in case". But gold is way too volatile to put anything in that you can't afford to lose.

This is why I don't handle my stocks haha, my mom and dad do all of this stuff for me.

Post #15   10/6/09 9:28:14PM