Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Shinya Aoki: "I think I am the better fighter and capable of beating' UFC lightweights"

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

ThaAxeMurderer7

MMA Sensei

ThaAxeMurderer7 Avatar

Career:1,277-814
Chips:
“I am not concerned about my opponent. It does not matter who I face — as long as I let my style shine and fully express myself in the ring, everything will be fine. Yes, I want a belt. Actually, let me rephrase that: I just want to win and do not want to lose. For every fight, it simply boils down to my wanting to win, or rather, my dogged determination to win. The belt will follow my victory, so I am focused solely on winning and do not allow myself to be distracted by belt or all the other frivolous stuff…. I am interested in fighting in a cage since a lot of the major promotions hold their fights in the cage nowadays. I am aware that some people raise the question about my viability in the cage — it upsets me whenever I hear them say that I will not succeed fighting in the cage under a different set of rules. I think I will not be beaten by anyone. It is often said that UFC is the pre-eminent force in the MMA world with the best fighters and BJ Penn is number one: (Raising his voice) It does not anger me, but it makes me want to challenge the assertion. I acknowledge their major league status, financial power, the caliber of their fighters, but I do not consider them the number one. I think I am the better fighter and capable of beating their fighters… so yeah, regardless of the opponent, I cannot afford to lose.”

Brazilian jiu-jitsu wizard Shiny Aoki is reluctant to elaborate on his impression of his upcoming opponent, DREAM Lightweight Champion Joachim Hansen, at DREAM 11 on Oct. 6. Aoki, however, is not as shy when it comes to talking about caged competition in the west.

Link

Post #1   10/4/09 9:49:17PM   

Wallass

MMA Sensei

Wallass Avatar

Career:2,218-1,306
Camp: Canada's Finest
Chips:
I think we all know Aoki has what it takes to take out quite a few of the UFC Lightweights but I don't know about BJ. Id say hed have a tough time with BJ, Gray and Sanchez but would love to see him in the UFC. Cant wait for him vs Hellboy!!!

Post #2   10/4/09 9:53:44PM   

kopower

Heavyweight Champ

kopower Avatar

Career:2,252-1,209
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
Yeah, Bj would run through him along with a few others in the UFC.

What you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in the playground is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no props, and may the mods have mercy on your soul.

Post #3   10/4/09 9:59:22PM   

Nightmare27

In Full Mount

Nightmare27 Avatar

Career:570-410
Camp: Strikers Inc.
Chips:
I would be interested to see Aoki's guard game without the tights. Its often been debated how big of an advantage they give him. If he fights in the US he's in for a change of attire. I would be excited to see how he would do.

Post #4   10/4/09 10:32:33PM   

postman

Heavyweight Champ

postman Avatar

Career:746-420
Chips:

Posted by Nightmare27

I would be interested to see Aoki's guard game without the tights. Its often been debated how big of an advantage they give him. If he fights in the US he's in for a change of attire. I would be excited to see how he would do.

Is it a rule he couldn't wear the tights? I don't think he would be bad in the UFC but BJ would kill him,

Post #5   10/4/09 10:41:18PM   

xdanish020

MMA Sensei

xdanish020 Avatar

Career:2,381-1,294
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
BJ would beat that ass.

Post #6   10/4/09 11:31:00PM   

hotrodttt

Ridin the MMA WW since 02 !

hotrodttt Avatar

Career:2,586-1,385
Chips:
Yeah Aoki has the style to potentially beat everybody he faces besides B.j, He's the only fighter that can match Aoki's dynamic style of grappling. Diego would also be able to beat him as he has good sub defense and an overwelming style that Aoki would have trouble with. Ken-Flo is another bad match up for him aswell but I can see Aoki beating everybody else in the ufc lw division.

Last edited 10/4/09 11:49PM server time by hotrodttt
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #7   10/4/09 11:39:26PM   

Aaronno9

King in the North

Aaronno9 Avatar

Career:798-457
Camp: MMA Worldwide
Chips:
I could see BJ and Diego smashing him within the first round. BJ just keeping him at bay with the jab and eventually getting the TKO, and Sanchez overwhelming him early and finishing him on the ground before Shinya was able to lock anything up. Kenny Florian would be interesting, if he stuck to the right gameplan, I think hes good enough on the feet to stop Shinya getting a hold of him and dragging it to the matt. Nate Diaz would also pose a very interesting match up.

Other than that, I think Shinya would be the favourite going into most other fights.

Post #8   10/4/09 11:43:31PM   

Twenty20Dollars

Heavyweight Champ

Career:1,572-1,001
Chips:
Well he needs to step up and prove it.

Post #9   10/5/09 12:08:49AM   

bjj1605

Heavyweight Champ

bjj1605 Avatar

Career:1,519-891
Chips:
I think he'd be competitive in the UFC but not a top dog. That could change depending on his future performances though.

BJ would maul him standing and Aoki can't take him down. Even if he did I'm not sure he's a better grappler than BJ.

Sanchez might be interesting. He could also probably keep it standing and maybe win a decision but Aoki might be able to submit him as well.

Kenny couldn't hang with him on the ground but again I'm not sure Aoki could get it there.

Tyson Griffin, Gray Maynard, Sean Sherk, and Frankie Edgar are all up in the air. They can all out wrestle him and probably out strike him. They all also have good sub defense. That said if he could get them down he could probably finish the fight.

So IMO what he needs is some better takedowns. His success would hinge on his ability to get fights down. He can always keep improving his striking but his strength lies with submissions. As he is now I see him being middle of the pack at best. Maybe TOP 5 or 6.

PS. I think he would destroy any of the UFC LW's not mentioned.

Post #10   10/5/09 12:27:18AM   

xtra_chewy

Standup Guy

xtra_chewy Avatar

Career:2,771-1,476
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by Aaronno9

I could see BJ and Diego smashing him within the first round. BJ just keeping him at bay with the jab and eventually getting the TKO, and Sanchez overwhelming him early and finishing him on the ground before Shinya was able to lock anything up. Kenny Florian would be interesting, if he stuck to the right gameplan, I think hes good enough on the feet to stop Shinya getting a hold of him and dragging it to the matt. Nate Diaz would also pose a very interesting match up.

Other than that, I think Shinya would be the favourite going into most other fights.

I think Aoki/Diaz would be an awsome match-up!

Post #11   10/5/09 2:33:23AM   

Sinister

BANNED

Sinister Avatar

Career:22-17
Chips:
I think his ranking is overrated. Some people put him in the top 5. He is good but he def wouldnt walk through the UFC's LW division

Post #12   10/5/09 4:06:14AM   

Sinister

BANNED

Sinister Avatar

Career:22-17
Chips:

Posted by Twenty20Dollars

Well he needs to step up and prove it.

I doubt it will ever happen. He makes way more money if he stays in Japan. Maybe if the UFC expands to Japan quicker, it is a possibility.

Post #13   10/5/09 4:07:32AM   

Jesse_Canadian_MMA

Belt Contender

Jesse_Canadian_MMA Avatar

Career:1,776-1,097
Camp: Canadian Fight Club
Chips:
Id have to say Penn would wreck him, along with Florian, Sherk, Maynard, Griffin, etc

I think Aoki 1st fight in the UFC if it ever happens should be against Nate Diaz, I think that is a good starter fight

Post #14   10/5/09 9:18:31AM   

Rush

Laying down the beats

Rush Avatar

Career:759-539
Chips:
I am tired of this type of rhetoric from fighters. It's even worse when it involves fighters that have made no effort to cross lines to another org to actually walk the walk. Do your talking in the ring and save us this BS.

Post #15   10/5/09 11:41:06AM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2