Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

ATT- Kimbo Back to School

Print  
Posted By Message

Sinister

BANNED

Sinister Avatar

Career:22-17
Chips:
"A pack of wolves waited for Kevin “Kimbo Slice” Ferguson when he entered the flagship gym of American Top Team in Coconut Creek, Fla., on Thursday.

Position to position, hour to hour, Thiago Alves, Luis Cane, Mike Brown, Yves Edwards, Jorge Santiago, and Dan Cramer drilled Kimbo in jiu-jitsu. The hardened veterans didn't hold back. Boxing coach Howard Davis got a little time, but striking took a back seat to the mat."

LINK

Post #1   10/3/09 1:24:04PM   

hotrodttt

Ridin the MMA WW since 02 !

hotrodttt Avatar

Career:2,535-1,352
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
Not to be a dick but, how is this news? It's just telling us that Kimbo worked bjj at att. It does not effect our picks or the mma world. It's normal for a guy to train jiu jitsu. The mma lounge is more of an appropriate place for this kind of article.

Last edited 10/3/09 1:38PM server time by hotrodttt
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #2   10/3/09 1:38:01PM   

Stills79

MMA Regular

Stills79 Avatar

Career:140-82
Chips:
Why is Kimbo getting sooooo much media attention? Every time I come on here now there is something about Kimbo. Enough already. He's an average fighter with no ground game.

Post #3   10/3/09 2:25:31PM   

Sinister

BANNED

Sinister Avatar

Chips:

Posted by Stills79

Why is Kimbo getting sooooo much media attention? Every time I come on here now there is something about Kimbo. Enough already. He's an average fighter with no ground game.

Thats pretty much all the articles coming up. I thought it just was an update on his training. He was previous said to be at Greg Jacksons so I thought it would be decent info.
Train BJJ may not be news for most fights but Kimbo, its a pretty huge deal.

I could gladly change it to
"Kimbo finds out he lost Nelson fight cause he lacks a skill called "Jui Jitzu." He has decided to learn more about this mysterious skill at ATT"

Post #4   10/3/09 3:29:20PM   

BustedKnuckle

MMA Sensei

BustedKnuckle Avatar

Career:659-381
Chips:
Damn the Kimbo stink is permeated into everything. I dont hate the guy but he's a c level fighter at best. Real up and comers deserve some of the limelite. Cane, Jones, Dos Santos. Sorry for the rant.

Post #5   10/3/09 8:11:05PM   

RearNakedJoke

In Full Mount

RearNakedJoke Avatar

Career:1,223-863
Chips:
nothing else interesting going on lately?

Post #6   10/3/09 9:50:42PM   

Sinister

BANNED

Sinister Avatar

Chips:

Posted by BustedKnuckle

Damn the Kimbo stink is permeated into everything. I dont hate the guy but he's a c level fighter at best. Real up and comers deserve some of the limelite. Cane, Jones, Dos Santos. Sorry for the rant.

It is sad how they don't get as much attention.
Hell, a top prospect like Carwin gets a title fight and every news outlet is talking to Roy Nelson and Kimbo Slice. People like drama and usually the best fighters don't provide that since they are dedicated to their training only.

Cain Velasquez, Shawn Carwin, and Dos Santos will last far longer than Kimbo in the UFC not because of their age but because they are fully dedicated to training.
Especially Cain who still wants to hold off for any title shot as he thinks he needs more time to polish his game.

Post #7   10/3/09 11:49:43PM   

NatedawgThaM

MMA Sensei

NatedawgThaM Avatar

Career:676-444
Chips:
Why so much negativitiy? If anything im proud of Kimbo for now taking things seroulsy. I mean atleast now hes setting a good example that street fighters can do squat in MMA when push comes to shove, you must be skilled.

And I hope he stays at ATT and works hard their for the rest of his career because with Howard Davis's boxing, I think Kimbo would honestly no lied be one of the fierces strikers or atleast boxers in all of MMA. I'd be scared for anybody trying to go toe to toe with him. And you got great skilled BJJ blacks belts their all over the place that are going to put his body in the most awkwards positions haha their gonna [put every damn move on him so you atleast his submission defense can start improving and withsome high class wrestlers down their and guys with great sprawls, I think Kimbos gonna be a freakin beast next year if he sticks to it.

Post #8   10/4/09 4:53:54AM   

jdp1975

Learning to Sprawl

Career:416-317
Chips:
all you people are hatin on kimbo. i remember what like a year ago all you heard about was randy couture and his legal battle with the ufc and nobody was talkin spit about that all i read was how randy was right, he needed to stop cryin and all the other things. kimbo is a new fighter who else is there to talk about? everyone said lesnar and lashey would never make it, but look at them now. all the debbie downers need to hold their tongues and wait till kimbo makes his debut in the ufc and then talk spit.

Post #9   10/4/09 9:54:17AM   

zephead

The Dancer

zephead Avatar

Career:541-400
Camp: Ground'N'Pound
Chips:

Posted by jdp1975

all you people are hatin on kimbo. i remember what like a year ago all you heard about was randy couture and his legal battle with the ufc and nobody was talkin spit about that all i read was how randy was right, he needed to stop cryin and all the other things. kimbo is a new fighter who else is there to talk about? everyone said lesnar and lashey would never make it, but look at them now. all the debbie downers need to hold their tongues and wait till kimbo makes his debut in the ufc and then talk spit.

Randy is a legend and happens to be a real MMA fighter. Kimbo is a internet sensation, a backyard brawler who doesn't stand a chance against B level MMA fighters. It does get old

"To me the records were just a starting point," recalls John Paul Jones, "The most important thing was always the stage show. So many great nights. At our worst we were still better than most. At our best we could just wipe the floor with the lot of them. It was just a very good live band."

Post #10   10/4/09 10:26:57AM