Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Keith Kizer: Herb Dean Refereed Kimbo Slice-Roy Nelson Perfectly

Print  
Posted By Message

emfleek

- > THUG LIFE < -

emfleek Avatar

Career:2,396-1,260
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
A day after the Kimbo Slice vs. Roy Nelson fight aired on The Ultimate Fighter, the victorious Nelson lashed out at referee Herb Dean, referring to Dean as "a retard" for failing to stop the fight when Nelson was raining punches down on Kimbo late in the first round.

But Dean's boss, Nevada State Athletic Commission Executive Director Keith Kizer, begs to differ. In an interview with FanHouse, Kizer said he thinks Dean handled the fight perfectly.

The full interview is below.

CONTINUED...

Post #1   10/2/09 8:50:17AM   

bjj1605

Heavyweight Champ

bjj1605 Avatar

Career:1,626-950
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
I agree. There was no reason to stop it in the first because the punches did no damage and time was running out. But in the second there was a lot of time left, kimbo was doing nothing, and he couldn't allow it to continue. But at the same time Roy Nelson should be ashamed for that fight.

Post #2   10/2/09 10:26:53AM   

Wolf

MMA Regular

Wolf Avatar

Career:378-248
Camp: Team Bullshido
Chips:
why should he be ashamed? He dominated the fight in the exact way he said he would without risking injury to himself. I'd agree with you if it was just a single fight. However, since this is a tournament and he needs to protect himself as well there's no sense in risking breaking his hand or whatever by hitting as hard as he can. Was it an amazing fight to watch? No. Did he do what he needed to do in convincing fashion? Yes.

Post #3   10/2/09 12:16:33PM   

whardin19

MMA Sensei

whardin19 Avatar

Career:1,004-606
Camp: B-Robs Terror
Chips:
Classic Roy Nelson LnP win. Never have liked Roy and never will. Boring ass fighter. I have to give him props for doing what he needed to win. But come on Roy, you could have done alot more on top of Kimbo than he did.

One thing I noticed is that every fighter this season so far is way out of shape.

Post #4   10/2/09 12:31:34PM   

Wolf

MMA Regular

Wolf Avatar

Career:378-248
Camp: Team Bullshido
Chips:

Posted by whardin19

Classic Roy Nelson LnP win. Never have liked Roy and never will. Boring ass fighter. I have to give him props for doing what he needed to win. But come on Roy, you could have done alot more on top of Kimbo than he did.

One thing I noticed is that every fighter this season so far is way out of shape.

other than his gut there isn't an indication of his condition. He didn't look tired in his fight at all. Everything I've heard and seen in other fights is that even with the gut Roy actually has cardio better than most HW's.

Post #5   10/2/09 2:54:42PM   

zephead

The Dancer

zephead Avatar

Career:541-400
Camp: Ground'N'Pound
Chips:

Posted by whardin19

Rpy will never look like Randy. He isn't built that way. Man is 13-4 (not counting the Kimbo fight) with 6TKo's and 4 submissions. Yep. that's LnP right there.

"To me the records were just a starting point," recalls John Paul Jones, "The most important thing was always the stage show. So many great nights. At our worst we were still better than most. At our best we could just wipe the floor with the lot of them. It was just a very good live band."

Post #6   10/2/09 5:14:57PM   

george112

The Playground OG

george112 Avatar

Career:1,321-858
Camp: Playground Legends
Chips:

Posted by Wolf

Posted by whardin19

other than his gut there isn't an indication of his condition. He didn't look tired in his fight at all. Everything I've heard and seen in other fights is that even with the gut Roy actually has cardio better than most HW's.

looked pretty tired to me..

Post #7   10/2/09 5:29:03PM   

george112

The Playground OG

george112 Avatar

Chips:

Posted by zephead

Posted by whardin19

Rpy will never look like Randy. He isn't built that way. Man is 13-4 (not counting the Kimbo fight) with 6TKo's and 4 submissions. Yep. that's LnP right there.

every big name on roys record hes lost to...

Post #8   10/2/09 5:30:57PM   

scobac

BANNED

scobac Avatar

Career:165-137
Chips:

Posted by george112

Posted by zephead

Posted by whardin19

WHAT THE HELL IS YOUR POST, I appoligize for the caps but your post???? what are you talking about? Crusifex is not lay and pray regardless of how effective it was.

He lost a split to Rothewell, a unam to monson, decision to Curran??, and KOed by AA . He lost to some badass dudes and finished some bad ass dudes.

I dont want to get banned or warned but you flatout are biased and dont realize that TUF is edited and if you do you just suck at posting and have a sorry opinion.

Mind you I will still prop you on a good post but this one is (insert puke emotocon) just throw away garbage.

Post #9   10/2/09 6:36:19PM   

george112

The Playground OG

george112 Avatar

Chips:

Posted by scobac

Posted by george112

Posted by zephead

Posted by whardin19

WHAT THE HELL IS YOUR POST, I appoligize for the caps but your post???? what are you talking about? Crusifex is not lay and pray regardless of how effective it was.

He lost a split to Rothewell, a unam to monson, decision to Curran??, and KOed by AA . He lost to some badass dudes and finished some bad ass dudes.

I dont want to get banned or warned but you flatout are biased and dont realize that TUF is edited and if you do you just suck at posting and have a sorry opinion.

Mind you I will still prop you on a good post but this one is (insert puke emotocon) just throw away garbage.

first off let me start off by saying i think you are talking to the wrong guy.whardin was the that said he lay n prayed.BUT i have said he layed and prayed in another thread and oo well ill just reply to your post

second how am i biased?? what comparisons have i posted that even give you the inclination that im biased?? enlighten me please.

thirdly like i said he IMO (ya we get one of those) lay n prayed that fight.hes clearly not as good as he thinks he is.dont misunderstand my posts and think im taking away from his win.a win is a win is a win.you gotta do what you gotta do to win.my point is he just goes around talking high on himself when he hasnt even done anything.

fourthly you mentioned his losses.like in my third post about winning.a loss is a loss and is still a loss.if you climb the ranks according to who has beaten you.than theres something wrong with the sport.WHICH isnt the case in this instance.hes just lost to guys that are BETTER than him.

IN CONCLUSION

dont know how im biased.
dont know why TUF being edited is relevant.
dont appreciate you attacking my opinions.

thats all i got

Post #10   10/2/09 8:38:18PM   

Jackelope

Go ahead, MOD my day

Jackelope Avatar

Career:864-486
Chips:

Posted by george112

Posted by scobac

Posted by george112

Posted by zephead

Posted by whardin19

first off let me start off by saying i think you are talking to the wrong guy.whardin was the that said he lay n prayed.BUT i have said he layed and prayed in another thread and oo well ill just reply to your post

second how am i biased?? what comparisons have i posted that even give you the inclination that im biased?? enlighten me please.

thirdly like i said he IMO (ya we get one of those) lay n prayed that fight.hes clearly not as good as he thinks he is.dont misunderstand my posts and think im taking away from his win.a win is a win is a win.you gotta do what you gotta do to win.my point is he just goes around talking high on himself when he hasnt even done anything.

fourthly you mentioned his losses.like in my third post about winning.a loss is a loss and is still a loss.if you climb the ranks according to who has beaten you.than theres something wrong with the sport.WHICH isnt the case in this instance.hes just lost to guys that are BETTER than him.

IN CONCLUSION

dont know how im biased.
dont know why TUF being edited is relevant.
dont appreciate you attacking my opinions.

thats all i got

TUF being edited matters a great deal. We've seen it so far on every single season. They build a heel and they build a hero. Obviously Nelson is filling the heel role. What I'm about to say makes me sound like I'm a Kimbo hater, but believe me when I tell you I'm not. I think the guy is genuine (although I can't know for sure) and I'm excited to see what happens with him in this sport. BUT.....

It's funny- you've got this guy Roy Nelson whom they even showed Rashad and his coaches specifically talking about scheduling his own fights, managing his own marketing, and training himself. Yet this guy has gone out there and fought some of the best in the world all while maintaining relative success (13-4 record). A claim Kimbo cannot even come close to making.

On the other hand you've got Kimbo- who has been in the spotlight for a few years now thanks to looking scary and knocking out a bunch of nobodies in someone's back yard. A guy who has learned how to handle himself in front of a camera in order to come off as a likable personality, but who has not fought the best in the world and has failed to pick up the entire MMA game despite working within a large budget and notable trainers.

If you were to break it down from that perspective (which is a logical one, btw) the average fan would probably be rooting for the one who speaks more to their story, both in physical stature and in social experience, Roy Nelson. However, since he has never been in the limelight he has had trouble handling himself and as a result has become somewhat of a heel. The editing TUF does and the fans' obvious appreciation of Kimbo as a fighter has swung the public's opinion completely against Nelson. Not to mention some boneheaded comments from Nelson that can be directly attributed to his lack of experience in the limelight and his own personal preference to work alone.

Will we ever really know why Roy didn't punch Kimbo's face through the floor? I doubt it. Maybe he really liked Kimbo and didn't want to take advantage of the massive skill gap by inflicting great harm on Kimbo. Maybe he wanted to keep his hand safe. Maybe he wanted to prove a point. Maybe the UFC told him not to. Maybe it's all scripted. It's all speculation. None of it fact. So stop acting like it is.

Here's what we DO know as fact- Roy Nelson thoroughly DOMINATED Kimbo Slice. He exposed his weakness in the ground game by putting him into one of the most demoralizing and dominant positions in existence.

I have to laugh when I see people criticizing Roy Nelson's skills or commenting on the power of his punches when they've never fought him. He went out there and proved everything he needed to prove. Stop nit picking it and stop being so emotional about the whole experience. He took a 230 lb. beast of a man and played with him like a cat and its toy. Lay-N-Pray? Boring? All I see is a W. Calm your blood lust and blame Kimbo for the fight being boring. He's the one who couldn't do ANYTHING to get Roy off of him.

Post #11   10/2/09 9:03:46PM   

george112

The Playground OG

george112 Avatar

Chips:
never did i pass anything along as a concrete fact.

also its my opinion i stated that in my post.

ALSO i know how hereos and heels work.ive watched enough professional wrestling in my younger days.edited or not roy still undeniably acts WAY to cocky but hey thats ok.let him do his thing.ITS JUST MY OPINION.

and the reason i say hes cocky is because you guessed it he makes stupid little comments.

one last thing.im not really all that hyped up and "emotional" about this fight or this argument

i just dont like my posts being called garbage.and getting called out like that.
theres no need for it.NOTHING is going to change my OPINION. caps lock on or not

Last edited 10/2/09 9:33PM server time by george112
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #12   10/2/09 9:30:42PM   

Jackelope

Go ahead, MOD my day

Jackelope Avatar

Career:864-486
Chips:

Posted by george112

never did i pass anything along as a concrete fact.

also its my opinion i stated that in my post.

ALSO i know how hereos and heels work.ive watched enough professional wrestling in my younger days.edited or not roy still undeniably acts WAY to cocky but hey thats ok.let him do his thing.ITS JUST MY OPINION.

and the reason i say hes cocky is because you guessed it he makes stupid little comments.

one last thing.im not really all that hyped up and "emotional" about this fight or this argument

i just dont like my posts being called garbage.and getting called out like that.
theres no need for it.NOTHING is going to change my OPINION. caps lock on or not

Yeah, well we all know the saying about opinions haha

EDIT: And by the way, I use SHIFT, not CAPS LOCK

Last edited 10/2/09 9:40PM server time by Jackelope
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #13   10/2/09 9:37:32PM   

MMAcca

Heavyweight Champ

MMAcca Avatar

Career:2,038-1,167
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:

And by the way, I use SHIFT, not CAPS LOCK

That has got to be someone's catchphrase, surely!

Post #14   10/3/09 11:04:56AM