Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Kimbo after Wednesday's Fight (Spoiler)

Print  
  Page 2 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

MaxOne

Captain Doctor

MaxOne Avatar

Career:861-585
Camp: Team Syntax
Chips:
IMHO Roy was taking it easy on kimbo. He clearly likes the dude. He said exactly what he was going to do before the fight even happened. He said if he got him in a crucifix and was just barely tapping him but the shots were unanswered that the ref has to stop the fight...that's the rules. I think he didn't want to hurt kimbo or maybe he was asked to take it easy. One or the other. Hopefully he wasn't asked to take it easy.

His ground game is great. This guy submitted Mir (biggest name that popped into my head as far as heavyweight bjj) in a submission match.

Last edited 10/1/09 2:39PM server time by maxone
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #16   10/1/09 2:37:27PM   

Rush

Laying down the beats

Rush Avatar

Career:759-539
Chips:

Posted by emfleek

Posted by roadking95th

Aw, come on. The dude has nothing on his back.

That can't be denied. My beef lies with those people who say he doesn't belong in the UFC *because* of this.

But that is the thing. He stand up doesn't seem great either. The only thing keeping Kimbo afloat IMO is the fact that he could make the UFC some money. As far as his overall skills are concerned, I think he is in the lower half of the TUF members this year. If history holds, the bottom half of TUF fighters rarely fight more than once or twice in the UFC.

At this point I think Kimbo would be lucky to succeed in a WEC calibre organization.

Post #17   10/1/09 3:33:02PM   

george112

The Playground OG

george112 Avatar

Career:1,185-774
Camp: The Original Gangsters
Chips:

Posted by MaxOne

IMHO Roy was taking it easy on kimbo. He clearly likes the dude. He said exactly what he was going to do before the fight even happened. He said if he got him in a crucifix and was just barely tapping him but the shots were unanswered that the ref has to stop the fight...that's the rules. I think he didn't want to hurt kimbo or maybe he was asked to take it easy. One or the other. Hopefully he wasn't asked to take it easy.

His ground game is great. This guy submitted Mir (biggest name that popped into my head as far as heavyweight bjj) in a submission match.

ryo chonan also subbed silva but that doesnt make ryos ground game great.

seriously all he did was lay on him.not to mention he couldnt even pull a sub on kimbo who allegedly has no ground game

Post #18   10/1/09 3:38:12PM   

emfleek

DO YOU SPEAK IT?

emfleek Avatar

Career:2,234-1,182
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by Rush

But that is the thing. He stand up doesn't seem great either. The only thing keeping Kimbo afloat IMO is the fact that he could make the UFC some money. As far as his overall skills are concerned, I think he is in the lower half of the TUF members this year. If history holds, the bottom half of TUF fighters rarely fight more than once or twice in the UFC.

At this point I think Kimbo would be lucky to succeed in a WEC calibre organization.

I don't disagree with any of this.

He's a street fighter so of course his skills/technique are going to lack. He may develop into an elite striker...he may not. It won't be the first time someone's failed in the UFC and it won't be the last.

Post #19   10/1/09 3:45:39PM   

StorminYourman

Belt Contender

StorminYourman Avatar

Career:1,106-639
Chips:
I was unimpressed by Nelson's stoppage.
Those punches from the krucifix seemed lame.
he definately should have went for a submission stoppage.It would have looked much bette for him.
All though hats off to nelson as he gets to continue to the next round.

Post #20   10/1/09 3:48:12PM   

Rush

Laying down the beats

Rush Avatar

Chips:
I think Roy's biggest problem is that he has no desire for improving his fitness. I think his lack of fitness is what gave him the most problems in the fight last night, not Kimbos strength/abilities or Roys abilities.

edit

regarding the stoppage, whether the punches were actually hard or not is irrelevant. The ref can't assume punches are hurting or not. It has to be based off of whether the fighter was or could defend themselves. I think it was a fair stoppage. It's not like it was stopped after two unanswered punches. I think it was at least 10.

Hypothetically speaking Roy could have sat there hitting him for the rest of the round. Then what would think have happened if Kimbo then had permanent damage after that? Heads would be flying and possibly rules changed (or MMA deregulated).

Last edited 10/1/09 3:54PM server time by Rush
2 total post edits

Post #21   10/1/09 3:49:33PM   

george112

The Playground OG

george112 Avatar

Career:1,185-774
Camp: The Original Gangsters
Chips:

Posted by Rush

I think Roy's biggest problem is that he has no desire for improving his fitness. I think his lack of fitness is what gave him the most problems in the fight last night, not Kimbos strength/abilities or Roys abilities.

edit

regarding the stoppage, whether the punches were actually hard or not is irrelevant. The ref can't assume punches are hurting or not. It has to be based off of whether the fighter was or could defend themselves. I think it was a fair stoppage. It's not like it was stopped after two unanswered punches. I think it was at least 10.

Hypothetically speaking Roy could have sat there hitting him for the rest of the round. Then what would think have happened if Kimbo then had permanent damage after that? Heads would be flying and possibly rules changed (or MMA deregulated).

dont think mma would be deregulated.only because boxing is still around

a more logical result would be that ref losing his job

Last edited 10/1/09 4:01PM server time by george112

Post #22   10/1/09 3:58:32PM   

Rush

Laying down the beats

Rush Avatar

Chips:

Posted by george112

dont think mma would be deregulated.only because boxing is still around

a more logical result would be that ref losing his job

Well, in the hypothetical sense, it would depend on what was the cause of the problem, the ref, the rules or something inherent in the sport.

Like I said, it's a hypothetical situation and regardless of the potential outcome, it's not worth taking a chance.

Post #23   10/1/09 4:44:22PM   

Page 2 of 2     1     2