Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Semtex Daley wants Hughes: "I am like a ***** hitman"

Print  
Posted By Message

ThaAxeMurderer7

MMA Sensei

ThaAxeMurderer7 Avatar

Career:1,277-814
Chips:
Fresh from his rapid KO win over Martin Kampmann at UFC 103, Paul ‘Semtex’ Daley has compared himself to a ***** hitman and says he will fight anybody the UFC puts in front of him. However, if it were up to him, he would fight former welterweight champion Matt Hughes next.

“I want to fight Hughes, firstly because he's a legend and second he's former welterweight champion. He has a win over the current welterweight champion, and he has all the skills to exploit my weaknesses that the media and my ‘fans’ so often talk about,” Daley told Fighters Only today.

Link

Post #1   9/29/09 7:00:12PM   

hotrodttt

Ridin the MMA WW since 02 !

hotrodttt Avatar

Career:2,586-1,385
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
I'm a big fan of Daley but Hughes would just tool him. I mean look at who Semtex dropped a decision to, Nick Thompson. Matt Hughes is worlds above Thompson. Matt would just take Semtex down, get side control, pound on him then submit him with a rnc.

Post #2   9/29/09 7:48:52PM   

CwB

MMA Sensei

CwB Avatar

Career:221-151
Chips:
Holy **** how many people are going to call out hughes... Hughes is past his prime and is no longer a true contender leave him alone. A win over him is huge if this was three years ago

Post #3   9/29/09 8:02:33PM   

xdanish020

MMA Sensei

xdanish020 Avatar

Career:2,381-1,294
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
Hahah good call by Paul, this is a great fight for him.

Hughes has lost a step and is not the dominant wrestler he once was. This matchup allows Semtex to display his strength and great takedown ability to keep the fight standing for a TKO/KO of Hughes.

I see this fight going down just like Alves/Hughes if it happens.

Semtex TKO RD 1.

Post #4   9/29/09 8:07:48PM   

Chuteboxer

Standup Guy

Chuteboxer Avatar

Career:297-176
Camp: The Grappling Academy
Chips:

Posted by CwB

Holy **** how many people are going to call out hughes... Hughes is past his prime and is no longer a true contender leave him alone. A win over him is huge if this was three years ago

This is exactly how I feel about the situation. It's not a bad fight, but I'm getting tired of all these young guns calling out an older man who's obviously got only a handful of fights left in him. I'd rather see Hughes fight someone that'd be a meaningful fight for him, like a third match with Hallman or Trigg, rather than see him being used as a stepping stone.

Post #5   9/29/09 8:41:33PM   

prozacnation1978

Heavyweight Champ

prozacnation1978 Avatar

Career:2,394-1,281
Chips:
damm everyone is calling out hughes these days

Post #6   9/29/09 9:04:28PM   

bjj1605

Heavyweight Champ

bjj1605 Avatar

Career:1,519-891
Chips:
I think it shows a lack of character. Why would you call out a fighter that is past his prime. You know its not a tough match for you and the hard core fans know its not a tough match for you. You want a big name with out a big threat. If he wants to test himself against a wrestler to show his takedown defense he should fight Kos or Fitch.

IMO however this is a fight Hughes could still win, unlike fights with Fitch or Kos.

Post #7   9/29/09 9:42:29PM   

NatedawgThaM

MMA Sensei

NatedawgThaM Avatar

Career:676-444
Chips:
WHOAH WHY THE HELL IS EVERYBODY FEELING SORRY FOR HUGHES?

Sorry for the caps but SERIOUSLY? Thats so dumb. He just signed a multi fight deal, who do you expect him to fight though? Some bum? And a lot of you proably still have him in your top ten but hes not suppose to fight? He can't beat Alves or GSP, definitely won't beat Kos, Fitch, or Swick, I put any amount or money or bet anything on that. Then he gets a perfect style match up for him, And I dont even think it's because he's old. Bring this primed GSP back in time 5 years ago when Hughes was the dominant welterweight, bring this Thiago Alves back, even any of the AKA boys now except maybe Swick, and I almost guarantee Kos, Fitch, Alves, and GSP still beat him just because of how one dimensional he is. If the WW's were still like they were 5 years ago, I still think Hughes could be champ, but everybodies developed past him I think is what it is. He still does the same thing he use too. Nothings really changed except maybe a little because of age but still thats not a full excuse IMO.

I like this fight for Daley. I'd pick him to take out Hughes too.

Post #8   9/29/09 9:48:17PM   

crushedbacon

In Full Mount

crushedbacon Avatar

Career:868-562
Camp: West Coast Canada
Chips:

Posted by Chuteboxer

Posted by CwB

This is exactly how I feel about the situation. It's not a bad fight, but I'm getting tired of all these young guns calling out an older man who's obviously got only a handful of fights left in him. I'd rather see Hughes fight someone that'd be a meaningful fight for him, like a third match with Hallman or Trigg, rather than see him being used as a stepping stone.

So the UFC should jut keep Hughes around and pay him like a star and feed him charity fights? The reason these guys are calling out Hughes isn't because they don't want to fight a tough guy. Its because they want a BIG fight....a win against a marquee name gets you more value sometimes then a current top talent. Especially when its against one of the most dominant welterweights ever. The reality is Hughes is a high paid fighter in the UFC, juts because he might be on the decline doesn't mean he gets bubblegum fights......he should take his purse off and man up.

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2009/9/29/1060720/mike-swick-matt-hughes-is-ducking

Post #9   9/29/09 9:50:24PM   

SpiderSilva

PFM

SpiderSilva Avatar

Career:1,808-1,136
Chips:
Well I feel I would match up well vs matt hughes so I would right now like to call him out right now!

J/k I would get tooled by hughes but figured I would join the mix

He's been known to cure narcalepsy by just walking into a room. His orgin donation card list his beard. He is a lover not a fighter but he's also a fighter so don't get any idea's he is SpiderSilva I'm the baddest man alive

Post #10   9/29/09 9:56:04PM   

Sinister

BANNED

Sinister Avatar

Career:22-17
Chips:
The fact that everyone wants to fight Hughes is really the statement that everyone doesn't want to fight GSP.

Post #11   9/29/09 11:47:48PM   

bjj1605

Heavyweight Champ

bjj1605 Avatar

Career:1,519-891
Chips:

Posted by crushedbacon

Posted by Chuteboxer

Posted by CwB

So the UFC should jut keep Hughes around and pay him like a star and feed him charity fights? The reason these guys are calling out Hughes isn't because they don't want to fight a tough guy. Its because they want a BIG fight....a win against a marquee name gets you more value sometimes then a current top talent. Especially when its against one of the most dominant welterweights ever. The reality is Hughes is a high paid fighter in the UFC, juts because he might be on the decline doesn't mean he gets bubblegum fights......he should take his purse off and man up.

Its not that these fights shouldn't happen if it comes from the UFC brass its just that the reason these guys are calling hughes out is because THEY want bubblegum fights that will help them in terms of name value but not be risky for them.

And to the guy who said that Alves, Kos, Fitch, or GSP would dominate hughes in his prime, please go shoot yourself. GSP lost to hughes in his prime.

Post #12   9/30/09 12:20:39AM   

BigBadAl

In Full Mount

BigBadAl Avatar

Career:408-321
Chips:

Posted by bjj1605

Posted by crushedbacon

Posted by Chuteboxer

Posted by CwB

Its not that these fights shouldn't happen if it comes from the UFC brass its just that the reason these guys are calling hughes out is because THEY want bubblegum fights that will help them in terms of name value but not be risky for them.

And to the guy who said that Alves, Kos, Fitch, or GSP would dominate hughes in his prime, please go shoot yourself. GSP lost to hughes in his prime.

GSP lost to Hughes when Hughes was in his prime yes. However GSP was not back then in his prime. I think was the point being made was that any of these other fighters when in their prime could beat Matt Hughes in his prime.

I think this would be a good fight and don't think any less of Daley for requesting it. It would be only his 2nd fight in the UFC and he was already handed a real tough opponent for his first fight. No need to rush things. Kampman then Hughes, then Swick/Hardy then Fitch/Kos then GSP would be a good respectable road to a title shot.

Post #13   9/30/09 8:45:22AM   

icebergsnoopy

MMA Regular

icebergsnoopy Avatar

Career:361-286
Chips:
Good article but who cares about that fight

Post #14   9/30/09 5:11:15PM