Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Rickson not sure if Belfort is ready for Anderson title fight

Print  
Posted By Message

ThaAxeMurderer7

MMA Sensei

ThaAxeMurderer7 Avatar

Career:1,277-814
Chips:
Rickson Gracie believes that Vitor Belfort is not ready to face Anderson Silva for the UFC middleweight title after having just one fight in the organisation since he returned to it. Belfort blitzed former middleweight champion Rich Franklin in the first round of their fight at UFC 103 but Gracie believes that fight was too short to have made Belfort comfortable in the Octagon again.

Link

Post #1   9/29/09 6:56:20PM   

Rush

Laying down the beats

Rush Avatar

Career:759-539
Chips:
What I think is more important in this article is that Rickson states that he is 100% retired.

Post #2   9/29/09 7:09:33PM   

ThaAxeMurderer7

MMA Sensei

ThaAxeMurderer7 Avatar

Career:1,277-814
Chips:
You never know though. He may go out this weekend, get into a couple of street fights just to pad his record a little more.

Post #3   9/29/09 7:15:18PM   

Shawn91111

The MMAPlayground's Co-Creator

Shawn91111 Avatar

Career:2,606-1,363
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
Well finally he says he is retired, that being said ...Rickson by armbar

Post #4   9/29/09 9:24:47PM   

Sir_Karl

MMA Sensei

Sir_Karl Avatar

Career:2,174-1,480
Chips:
I don't think Vitor is ready either. I would have to agree with Rickson. I don't think he is ready for different reasons though. Vitor is nowhere near the level of fighter Anderson Silva is. I don't think he ever can be. Vitor vs. Anderson won't be a very long fight. I see Silva putting him away fast. Vitor might have fast hands and he may have some power...but he has poor footwork, weak form and stance and not much stamina. Generally Vitor bum rushes his opponents from the start. What happens when he doesn't KO his opponent during his initial barrage of punches? He gasses and is usually in trouble. Anderson will avoid his initial attack and then eventually pick him apart...knocking his ass out. More than likely in Round 1.
There is a small chance Vitor will connect in his initial flurry...but I just don't see it happening. All Vitor has is some power and fast hands...and generally they both wither away pretty quickly.

Post #5   9/29/09 11:13:35PM   

ChokeUout

In Full Mount

ChokeUout Avatar

Career:446-268
Chips:
As far as not earning a shot after one quick win in his return to the UFC, I guess you could make that argument. But considering SIlva got his title shot after 48 seconds of total UFC action, I won't really complain about vitor, considering the other two top contenders already got stopped convincingly by silva.

However, I don't think Vitor is ready for silva, for the exact reason the dude above me stated. For as quick as vitor is, silva is just as fast, if not faster. Plus, he's more precise, has much better footwork, and it much more technical. All silva has to do is to survive the initial flurry, and he'll pick vitor apart, probably stopping him before the end of the second (I'm feeling generous).

On the ground, they are both skilled, but let's be serious. This fight will be a stand-up fight, and silva will win.

I normally don't do AV bets, but I might consider it if someone wants to pick Vitor and wants to sport a Strawberry Shortcake or Rainbow Brite avatar for a while.

Post #6   9/30/09 3:19:57AM   

tomp6581

Standup Guy

tomp6581 Avatar

Career:406-255
Chips:
The only way I see Vitor winning is if Anderson gets sloppy.

Everything Vitor does, Anderson does better.

Will Anderson have a reach advantage too?!

Post #7   10/1/09 12:23:35PM   

mrsmiley

Heavyweight Champ

mrsmiley Avatar

Career:1,456-844
Camp: Nutthuggers Suck
Chips:

Posted by tomp6581

The only way I see Vitor winning is if Anderson gets sloppy.

Everything Vitor does, Anderson does better.

Will Anderson have a reach advantage too?!

I think Vitor can take this on the possiblity of Anderson getting too cocky in the octagon as well.
I don't think Anderson will take Vitor lightly,but if he does,he may be making a mistake.

Post #8   10/1/09 6:26:47PM