Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

How much protein?

Print  
  Page 2 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

Jackelope

Go ahead, MOD my day

Jackelope Avatar

Career:864-486
Chips:

Posted by Rush

IMO there are a lot of oversimplified myths in the nutritional world, which is why you need to mix professional advice (as you suggested) with personal experimentation.

About the protein thing, I don't eat a lot of meat, certainly not at the levels being dicussed in this thread. Some days I do and some days I don't. However, I have anywhere between 1-3 bowel movements a day. Why? I eat a lot of fibre (aka pre-biotics). Certain foods also bulk up your stools, like apples.

I have't looked it up, but I have heard that high protein diets (i.e. high meat diets) make it difficult to take a crap.

The way I have always thought to check whether you are wasting protein is through a urine analysis.

Is there a simple way to check for protein waste in your urine?

As far as eating lots of meat in order to get the desired protein I would assume you are absolutely right considering most red meats don't digest well and lead to more blockages than they do easy turds. When you're getting a lot of protein from shakes and the like (which I'm assuming most folks do since eating that much protein is damn expensive) the shakes .. well... for lack of a better phrase... come right out. In that sense I could always tell whether I was taking way too much powder or not. If I toned down a scoop or two a day the ridiculous amount of crapping would usually taper off.

I somehow don't get the feeling that the OP is trying to get too scientific about it all, though.

EDIT: In the effort of full disclosure and so as to not be completely irresponsible I will say this, though- There can certainly be repurcussions for doing things recklessly and not everything is at it seems on the surface. As a matter of fact, eating too much red meat (or taking in too much of any one substance really) can be seriously detrimental to your health. Even water. The best way to do things is usually the hardest way to go about them. The advice I originally gave would probably be ignored by a very serious professional outside of the original premise for the advice which is to consult a certified trainer with nutritionist qualifications.

Last edited 10/11/09 2:25PM server time by Jackelope
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #16   10/11/09 2:22:27PM   

Rush

Laying down the beats

Rush Avatar

Career:759-539
Chips:

Posted by Jackelope

Is there a simple way to check for protein waste in your urine?

Way back in high school I tested for it. It is simple in theory, but I have to look it up and see what was tested for and how. If you are interested I can get back to you.

Post #17   10/11/09 5:00:38PM   

Rush

Laying down the beats

Rush Avatar

Chips:
ok, I looked in some scientific journals regarding protein intake and ways to assay for it.

It turns out one of the more accurate ways is measuring nitrogen levels in urine. However, a caveat is that it becomes inaccurate when very low/high levels of protein are injested or due to periods of physical stress, etc.

On a side note, a problem with looking at protein levels in urine (an easy test to do) really doesn't tell you much because there are a whole slew of medical conditions that result in high levels of protein in urine.

Post #18   10/13/09 4:34:29PM   

Jackelope

Go ahead, MOD my day

Jackelope Avatar

Career:864-486
Chips:
I figured the nitrogen would be the key. Then again, if high levels of protein intake and lots of physical stress affect the test, it's basically pointless to run on a guy eating a ton of protein and lifting a lot of weights.

I know it sounds like mom and pop's remedy type B.S., but like I said earlier in the thread you can tell a lot about your body by just monitoring what is going on with it on a very basic level. The poop factor cannot be ignored

(Oh how I know this must be hard to accept with your scientific sensibilities )

Last edited 10/14/09 7:09PM server time by Jackelope
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #19   10/14/09 7:08:33PM   

Rush

Laying down the beats

Rush Avatar

Chips:
I don't doubt the importance of monitoring poop to check your health. I'm just not convinced that the quantity of it gives one any definitive answers.

Post #20   10/14/09 10:59:54PM   

Page 2 of 2     1     2