Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

How much protein?

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

blb8698

MMA Regular

Career:83-55
Camp: Grande Cajones Fight Camp
Chips:
How much protein should you get daily? I heard 1 gram per pound and then Ive heard half your body weight??

Post #1   9/28/09 12:36:28PM   

grappler0000

MODular Approach

grappler0000 Avatar

Career:2,869-1,573
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
In general or as part of a muscle building regimen? In general, not nearly that much would be needed, but 1 gram per pound could be about right if you're trying to put on some mass. Just keep in mind that too much protein in your diet can have side effects as well.

Post #2   9/28/09 12:47:48PM   

Jackelope

Go ahead, MOD my day

Jackelope Avatar

Career:864-486
Chips:
Depends on how big you are and how much you're working out, too. If you're doing a large strength and size building routine I've seen nutritionists put their guys on a 150% of body weight protein intake. So, if you weigh 200 lbs. you'll be taking in 300g of Protein a day. Personally I think that's a little high, but in those cases it was almost always collegiate athletes with plenty of muscle mass to assimilate the protein. We're talking hammer throwers and football players here.

Also keep in mind that quality of protein plays a large factor, and you're going to be a regular fart and turd factory if you're taking in that much protein. The amount of farts and/or excrement you're letting out is a good gauge of how much you're assimilating compared to how much you're wasting. Get with a certified personal trainer (preferably one with nutritionist qualifications) at your gym if you can. He can tell you a lot more than we can since he'll be able to monitor your progress and will have a much clearer picture of you in person.

Post #3   9/28/09 1:05:18PM   

blb8698

MMA Regular

Chips:
ok i usually drink a shake in the am after ahalf hour cardio workout and one at night after a body weight routine i do and its 52 grams a shake

Post #4   9/28/09 5:02:15PM   

blb8698

MMA Regular

Chips:
I'm looking for more lean muscle than mass

Post #5   9/28/09 5:15:20PM   

billyho

Learning to Sprawl

billyho Avatar

Career:-
Chips:
From what I've studied, the average American consumes 2 to 4 more protein than what is recommended for a normal person.

Although active athletes should probably consume more protein than most, 2 to 4 times more is a little extreme.

The RDA for protein intake is .35 g per pound of body weight. Since protein use is increased from extensive training and recovery, Although the jury is still out about how much protein athletes need, I think it would be safe to double the RDA #s for people who spend a lot of time performing resistance or endurance training.

Hope this helps and look forward to hearing about your progress.

Post #6   10/1/09 5:08:35PM   

madmarck

MMA Sensei

madmarck Avatar

Career:802-575
Camp: Canadian Fight Club
Chips:
0.8- 1.2 per grams per KG of boyweight a day.
eg 88Kg man needs 88g protein per day ish

more active people may need up to 2.0 grams per Kilo.

Post #7   10/6/09 8:56:25PM   

ko-kbo130

MMA Regular

ko-kbo130 Avatar

Career:208-140
Chips:
typical consumption of a normal person is 1.5g of protein per Kg of body weight.
the suggested amount of protein for a person doing intense physical training is a range from1.2-1.8 g per Kg of body weight. these numbers come straight out of my exercise physiology text book so i think they're pretty reliable. if you take in excess protein your body is just going to get rid of it. no need to go crazy on your protein intake. that's why most of these protein shakes and diets are a waste of time and money.

Post #8   10/7/09 5:52:45PM   

Rush

Laying down the beats

Rush Avatar

Career:759-539
Chips:
There really is no definitive answer. Why? Different people are different. Different protein sources are digested and absorbed differently. Also, many other foods also contain protein.

Find sources and amounts that work for you by experimentation.

Post #9   10/7/09 7:30:30PM   

telnights

MODesty

telnights Avatar

Career:1,411-771
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by Jackelope

Depends on how big you are and how much you're working out, too. If you're doing a large strength and size building routine I've seen nutritionists put their guys on a 150% of body weight protein intake. So, if you weigh 200 lbs. you'll be taking in 300g of Protein a day. Personally I think that's a little high, but in those cases it was almost always collegiate athletes with plenty of muscle mass to assimilate the protein. We're talking hammer throwers and football players here.

Also keep in mind that quality of protein plays a large factor, and you're going to be a regular fart and turd factory if you're taking in that much protein. The amount of farts and/or excrement you're letting out is a good gauge of how much you're assimilating compared to how much you're wasting. Get with a certified personal trainer (preferably one with nutritionist qualifications) at your gym if you can. He can tell you a lot more than we can since he'll be able to monitor your progress and will have a much clearer picture of you in person.

Not much to add that that...Jacklope is dead in what he is saying.

Post #10   10/7/09 11:09:33PM   

NeaRMisS

MMA Regular

Career:69-53
Chips:

Posted by telnights

Posted by Jackelope

Not much to add that that...Jacklope is dead in what he is saying.

Few things to add, is to look into the diff types of proteins. Certain mixes / blends get absorbed differently. Some are fast (IE Whey) Some take a while (IE Casein). Each with its own benfits. Tons of diff things you can look at.

Best info, would be best to monitor your food intake for a two weeks. See what type of breakdown you have protein / carb / fat. If you are far from your goals you might need to up your protein 100 grams and drink your shakes accordingly.

If you are going massive muscle you want high protein to carb / fat ratio. If you are trying to just tone keep them pretty balanced, and go with a bit more expensive protein such as casein, as they take longer to get absorbed. Letting you feel fuller throughout the day.

Its your body, you know it best. Just try and do what it is saying and or reacting to the best ability you can.

Hope this helps.

Post #11   10/8/09 12:54:43AM   

jocka

In Full Mount

jocka Avatar

Career:237-170
Chips:

Posted by Jackelope

This is an awesome post, personally i take about 1g per lbs of body weight. I do workout at the gym and do a lot of martial arts as well.

Post #12   10/8/09 1:34:58PM   

Rush

Laying down the beats

Rush Avatar

Chips:

Posted by Jackelope

The amount of farts and/or excrement you're letting out is a good gauge of how much you're assimilating compared to how much you're wasting.

How is this necessarily the case? There are a lot of other foods that increase the volume and frequency of bowel movements so I don't think this can be used as a gauge for efficient protein usage.

Post #13   10/8/09 2:07:23PM   

Jackelope

Go ahead, MOD my day

Jackelope Avatar

Career:864-486
Chips:

Posted by Rush

Posted by Jackelope

The amount of farts and/or excrement you're letting out is a good gauge of how much you're assimilating compared to how much you're wasting.

How is this necessarily the case? There are a lot of other foods that increase the volume and frequency of bowel movements so I don't think this can be used as a gauge for efficient protein usage.

Well I couldn't speak on that with any level of scientific expertise outside of my own personal experiences and something that seems to be universally true throughout the weight lifting/protein assimilating world. Which is why I suggested that the OP see someone with actual nutritionist qualifications about the situation.

That being said I have taken several collegiate courses and attained a young lifetime's worth of exercise experience upon which to base my statement.

Speaking completely based on speculation and nothing more I would suspect that maybe the nitrogen bonds in proteins are a source to consider where farts are concerned? Again, though.. I'm not a scientist and I can only speak on a fairly significant amount of experience complimented with a small amount of actual education on the matter.

Post #14   10/8/09 11:58:39PM   

Rush

Laying down the beats

Rush Avatar

Chips:
IMO there are a lot of oversimplified myths in the nutritional world, which is why you need to mix professional advice (as you suggested) with personal experimentation.

About the protein thing, I don't eat a lot of meat, certainly not at the levels being dicussed in this thread. Some days I do and some days I don't. However, I have anywhere between 1-3 bowel movements a day. Why? I eat a lot of fibre (aka pre-biotics). Certain foods also bulk up your stools, like apples.

I have't looked it up, but I have heard that high protein diets (i.e. high meat diets) make it difficult to take a crap.

The way I have always thought to check whether you are wasting protein is through a urine analysis.

Post #15   10/10/09 10:33:10PM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2