Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Roy Nelson Talks About Kimbo Bout

Print  
Posted By Message

Sinister

BANNED

Sinister Avatar

Career:22-17
Chips:
"Roy Nelson and Kevin "Kimbo Slice" Ferguson are the two biggest names on The Ultimate Fighter 10, and on the next episode the two square off in an elimination bout. While several contestants were licking their chops at the opportunity to fight "Kimbo," Nelson wasn't one of them.

Coach Quinton "Rampage" Jackson picked the first two match ups on the show and Rashad Evans' team won both of them. When Evans got the chance to play match maker, he immediately put his most seasoned fighter against Jackson's most known. Nelson spoke with MMAWeekly.com about how the bout with "Kimbo" was made."

LINK

Post #1   9/27/09 7:52:13AM   

postman

Heavyweight Champ

postman Avatar

Career:746-420
Chips:
he was talking like he wanted him and I think I remember him saying I have wanted that fight for a while

Post #2   9/27/09 10:31:54AM   

prozacnation1978

Heavyweight Champ

prozacnation1978 Avatar

Career:2,615-1,389
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
i can't wait to watch the fight

Post #3   9/27/09 11:17:02AM   

ace_of_god

Learning to Sprawl

ace_of_god Avatar

Career:151-115
Camp: Grande Cajones Fight Camp
Chips:
by the way he is talking about how he was pushed into the fight it almost seems like he is making excuses. Especially when he started saying how Dana wanted to send him in against Kimbo becasue Kimbo would have the best chance of winner against Roy.

can't wait till wednsday

Post #4   9/27/09 3:34:42PM   

Nightmare27

In Full Mount

Nightmare27 Avatar

Career:570-410
Camp: Strikers Inc.
Chips:
Thats some crazy talk, it does almost seem like he is making excuses. It almost makes me think that Kimbo beats him. Wednesday cant come fast enough for me!

Post #5   9/27/09 11:46:16PM   

imanidiot777

In Full Mount

imanidiot777 Avatar

Career:383-265
Chips:

Posted by ace_of_god

by the way he is talking about how he was pushed into the fight it almost seems like he is making excuses. Especially when he started saying how Dana wanted to send him in against Kimbo becasue Kimbo would have the best chance of winner against Roy.

can't wait till wednsday

No, no. What he meant about sending Kimbo in against him was, if Kimbo lost to Roy the UFC can say he was supposed to lose to Roy because Roy is experience and its a BAD style match up for Kimbo. If he has no take down defense you might as well give the fight to Roy before it even starts. If Kimbo lost to any of the others it makes Kimbo look REALLY bad.

Post #6   9/28/09 12:45:22AM   

lll-lll

Standup Guy

lll-lll Avatar

Career:885-523
Camp: The UFC Nutriders
Chips:

Posted by imanidiot777

Posted by ace_of_god

can't wait till wednsday

No, no. What he meant about sending Kimbo in against him was, if Kimbo lost to Roy the UFC can say he was supposed to lose to Roy because Roy is experience and its a BAD style match up for Kimbo. If he has no take down defense you might as well give the fight to Roy before it even starts. If Kimbo lost to any of the others it makes Kimbo look REALLY bad.

Not really. It is a tournament. Everyone but one guy will lose. The winner is the only real guy to have any momentem. I doubt Kimbo winsit all, so losing now or later still proves about the same to me. Roy could beat him and get beat by a lesser known guy. It all looks about the same to me unless Roy wins.

Post #7   9/28/09 1:12:55AM   

supatolacyl

MMA Regular

supatolacyl Avatar

Career:1,157-897
Chips:
I think this interview, shoul dhave not been posted until after the fight, because people can say there are some factors of giving away the winner. Just my opinion that nothing in this interview had to be posted when it was.

Post #8   9/28/09 3:00:01AM   

imanidiot777

In Full Mount

imanidiot777 Avatar

Career:383-265
Chips:

Posted by lll-lll

Posted by imanidiot777

Posted by ace_of_god

can't wait till wednsday

Not really. It is a tournament. Everyone but one guy will lose. The winner is the only real guy to have any momentem. I doubt Kimbo winsit all, so losing now or later still proves about the same to me. Roy could beat him and get beat by a lesser known guy. It all looks about the same to me unless Roy wins.

Yeah but if he loses his first fight to some no name they can't sign him to a contract after the show or Dana would look stupid. At least if he loses to Roy Nelson you can say he was supposed to lose. Believe me, Dana wants him to be in the UFC very badly.

Post #9   9/28/09 10:40:29AM   

Rush

Laying down the beats

Rush Avatar

Career:759-539
Chips:

Posted by imanidiot777

This is totally how I read it. The extreme case is taking someone and stiking them into a title shot right away. If they lose, they lost to a fighter there were not expeceted to beat.

His last line,

"I think it's going to be the fight of The Ultimate Fighter, and then it just gets better because after that you get to see the drama of what happens to me and Kimbo living in the same room together."

to me suggests that the loser comes back and is now on the other team. i.e. Kimbo and Roy are on the same team. This doesn't tell us who wins the fight, but it does tell us that it is likely that the loser will be returning.

Post #10   9/28/09 11:08:46AM   

Rush

Laying down the beats

Rush Avatar

Career:759-539
Chips:

Posted by supatolacyl

I think this interview, shoul dhave not been posted until after the fight, because people can say there are some factors of giving away the winner. Just my opinion that nothing in this interview had to be posted when it was.

No, the interview gives nothing away about the fight. If it did, I think Roy would be breaching his contract.

Post #11   9/28/09 11:10:11AM