Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Is DREAM more competitive than PRIDE was?

Print  
Posted By Message

warglory

Heavyweight Champ

warglory Avatar

Career:535-344
Chips:
I say yes. DREAM appears to be trying to protect their profile stars much less than PRIDE did, and are more attentive to international fans than just the Japanese. Personally, I think DREAM, if it lasts, will eventually have a stronger legacy than PRIDE will if they continue to put on high profile fights with the very best fighters outside of the UFC. PRIDE protected their fighters, but I think that DREAM fighters have shown they are tested just as much as UFC fighters.

Post #1   9/26/09 7:17:17PM   

jae_1833

TTTHS

jae_1833 Avatar

Career:2,523-1,604
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
I think they are almost the exact same...

Post #2   9/26/09 10:30:25PM   

GDK

MMA Regular

GDK Avatar

Career:1,651-1,150
Chips:
Pride had more reason to protect their fighters
They were the best
Dream has to proove their fighters
To be able to compete at a top standard
Since the old guard has now faded

Dream isn't as competative as Pride yet cause the level isn't as high
But eventually if they don't lose their tourney winners to other organizations
they will become better than Pride ever was
(Like the Ufc has eg: 20+ shows a year)
especially with thier current tourney format

Post #3   9/27/09 4:27:08AM   

warglory

Heavyweight Champ

warglory Avatar

Career:535-344
Chips:

Posted by GDK

Pride had more reason to protect their fighters
They were the best
Dream has to proove their fighters
To be able to compete at a top standard
Since the old guard has now faded

Dream isn't as competative as Pride yet cause the level isn't as high
But eventually if they don't lose their tourney winners to other organizations
they will become better than Pride ever was
(Like the Ufc has eg: 20+ shows a year)
especially with thier current tourney format

What makes you think that DREAM doesn't have the same quality fighters? PRIDE started off with its biggest stars being former UFC fighters (i.e. Mark Coleman, Mark Kerr, Kevin Randleman, Guy Mezger, etc), and then developed a decent sized stable of quality fighters, but very few of those fighters were tested very often. Look at Gomi and Wanderlei, how often did they defend their respective titles a year? DREAM fighters, on average, are at a MUCH higher caliber than PRIDE fighters were, and I mean comparatively so, not just in the sense that the game has advanced over the last 3 years.

Post #4   9/27/09 11:39:55PM   

GDK

MMA Regular

GDK Avatar

Career:1,651-1,150
Chips:
Pride started as an overblown arguement between Takada Dojo and Gracie Barra.
And Takada's attemp to become a legitamate fighter.
For he was a legend in the "work" arena; He had won the popularity contest in Japan over old pal Funaki and estranged pupil Tamura and now had his sights set on the Gracies. He din't need Tamura anymore, he had Saku.
They fought for 'pride' and a slightly larger pay packet than the UFC (who was barely more than a mix mash of fighters from seperate organisations and teams themselves) was offering at the time... well promised pay anyway.
This attractrd the likes of the UFC's finest as well as fighters from other organizations and teams. (Cikatic and Vovchanchyn were also highly regarded then)
Especially when Rings went under, and as Shooto's best, KOTC standouts, and kings of Pancrase, and K1 champs started to waft over
Bit by bit Pride became the best MMA competition with the best fighters.
Mostly because it held Gran Prix's and had an increasing volume of shows
(it's a pity this dissolved before it could really flourish)

And Pride regularly tested their elite fighters
True they didn't always fight for the belt
But they put Saku, Wandi, Nog, even Gomi through some tough fights
I think the reason some of these guys are so worn out now is because of having to meet the demands of Pride and the brutal standard of the fights
As for Fedor he spent a lot of time with a broken hand, dodging demands. They would have loved to see him lose in Japan, to Nog, who was more popular then, or Mirko, who was quickly rising, but he stayed aloof and unbeatable and won over everybody, much like now.
They did anything they could to see Wandi lose to a Japanese fighter or the likes of a Mark Hunt in between belt defences.
Seems silly now, But at the time it was a needed sorting out process, as bravado gave way to reality.

Not to take away from certain UFC fighters like Randy, Tito or Chuck
(Who just kept fighting each other for the most part)
They would have been more than welcome
And Chuck's attempt was commendable
Now, since everyone has wafted to the UFC, except for some stragglers
The UFC easily holds the title of best competition

And as much as I love Dream (Which is a lot, esp. LW div)
And they have really taken the place of Pride in Japan, but not in MMA
There are still a proving ground for guys like Mousasi and Zaromskis
Who will probably move on in search of better competition, like Mousasi, Jacare or Akiyama have.
In the days of Pride there was nowhere to move to from Pride
That was the pinnacle
Dream Certainly has high quality fighters, they're just not 'the best' fighters
No Dream fighter is of the calibre of Fedor, Nog, Rampage, Shogun, Hendo, Anderson and so on, who all waved the Pride banner.

You are correct to point out that an increased standard in the level of MMA is a crucial part of the equation
The game has evolvedand fighters are better now.
The rules have also evolved to benefit the spectator, so tactics have changed.
An exciting time to be a fa.n.

Anyway it’s all a matter of perspective
I respect where your coming from
And enjoyed the topic
Take care Warglory

Post #5   9/28/09 12:14:41PM   

hindsightufuk

Learning to Sprawl

hindsightufuk Avatar

Career:578-465
Chips:
nice post GDK, point well put across and couldnt agree more.

Its also important to point out Pride didnt start its run with its biggest fighters being from the UFC. Other than Mark Kerr the big draws in the early days were Nobu, Igor, Rickson, Shoji, Renzo, Newton, Matsui, Wanderlei, the Inoue's etc. Mostly Japanese or Brazilians headed the cards.
Mark Coleman first popped up in one of Takada's 'works' (no way he ever really gets tapped in under 2 minutes agains Nobu), i cant even remeber when Randleman first appreared in Pride, Mezger was certainly never a big draw.

Dream certainly have some great fighters, but not best in the world fighters. And those they do have are looking else where for competition. I think Dream has a lot of potential and i really hope it can be even half as good as Pride. I would like to see them put on more young Japanese fighters on the undercards, unknowns, give them a chance.

Post #6   10/4/09 4:34:18PM   

deezyo

MMA Regular

deezyo Avatar

Career:979-773
Camp: C.O.B.
Chips:
no

Post #7   10/9/09 11:20:44PM