Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Is Condit Back on Track with a UFC Win?

Print  
Posted By Message

Sinister

BANNED

Sinister Avatar

Career:22-17
Chips:
"Former WEC welterweight champion Carlos Condit has now officially nabbed his first win inside the Octagon. One of the prizes of the WEC, there was a lot of hype upon Condit’s original foray into the organization, when he headlined UFC Fight Night 18 this past April opposite of Xtreme Couture’s Martin Kampann, losing a close split-decision.

His most recent performance, another split-decision, this time in the New Mexico native’s favor, would prove to be one of Condit’s toughest test’s to date. He took on veteran Jake Ellenberger, whose list of victims read legend Jose Landi-Jons and UFC veterans Zach Light and Gil Castillo, all by way of knockout."

LINK

Post #1   9/25/09 8:17:48AM   

tallica62

MMA Sensei

tallica62 Avatar

Career:1,991-1,229
Camp: Playground Bullies
Chips:
he is not back on track for taking over

what we learned by seeing him in the UFC...the UFC caliber is truely the top in the world... he owned WEC and I thought quite highly of him...although i still like him as a fighter, i feel his performances have further stamped the idea that UFC talent pool is just too good.... i dont see CC being a major competitor in the ufc...hed have to fight at 155 to have a chance imo

Post #2   9/25/09 12:10:32PM   

jae_1833

TTTHS

jae_1833 Avatar

Career:2,600-1,654
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
I think he is back on track however not all the way to the top. I think with the way he looked in the WEC, fighting lower calibur guys it was easy to rank him higher than deserved. I think he is / will be at the gate keeper level, which is a fighter title that I personally love.

Post #3   9/25/09 2:50:54PM   

bjj1605

Heavyweight Champ

bjj1605 Avatar

Career:1,533-897
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:

Posted by tallica62

he is not back on track for taking over

what we learned by seeing him in the UFC...the UFC caliber is truely the top in the world... he owned WEC and I thought quite highly of him...although i still like him as a fighter, i feel his performances have further stamped the idea that UFC talent pool is just too good.... i dont see CC being a major competitor in the ufc...hed have to fight at 155 to have a chance imo

I've been saying this for a while now. The UFC has the deepest most current talent pool and they test their fighters the most.

Gergard Moussasi, Fedor Emelianenko, Bret Rogers, Josh Barnett, Jorge Santiago... ect. All of these fighters are big fish in small ponds. If they really want to be tested and prove they belong among the top they need to come to the UFC.

The LW Division is a bit of an exception because Japan has some very talented LW fighters. Still I see almost all of them having trouble with the American prototype wrestler. Sean Sherk, Frankie Edgar, and Tyson Griffin would all give these guys hell.

Post #4   9/25/09 3:06:10PM   

finnish_line

In Full Mount

finnish_line Avatar

Career:517-331
Camp: Great Boxe
Chips:

Even if Condit had steamrolled Ellenberger he wouldn't be all the way back on track. Almost losing did not help his cause very much.

Still, it was a very entertaining fight.

Last edited 9/25/09 4:17PM server time by finnish_line
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #5   9/25/09 4:16:27PM   

Jackelope

Go ahead, MOD my day

Jackelope Avatar

Career:864-486
Chips:
Condit still has the talent and tenacity to become a top competitor. He's just got to adapt his gameplan and his skillset to the UFC caliber competition. He's got to work on not giving up positions, and he's got to learn to temper his aggressive nature. Learning when to go balls to the wall and when to hold it back will be difficult for him, but once he does... he's still relevant. Dude is young as hell and very skilled.

If you rewatch his last fight you'll see that although he took some shots in the first and gave up some positions for the rest of the fight, he clearly did an incredible amount more damage than Ellenberger did. That's just how Carlos fights. It's why he's "The Natural Born Killer". He'll learn, and he'll adapt.

Post #6   9/25/09 5:23:42PM   

tallica62

MMA Sensei

tallica62 Avatar

Career:1,991-1,229
Camp: Playground Bullies
Chips:

Posted by Jackelope

Condit still has the talent and tenacity to become a top competitor. He's just got to adapt his gameplan and his skillset to the UFC caliber competition.

I dont think you really "adapt" to ufc caliber. it's not like he wasnt trying. You fight as hard as you can whether its UFC or PooFC

i will give him props for hangin in there after taking some nasty hits

Last edited 9/25/09 7:25PM server time by tallica62

Post #7   9/25/09 7:25:03PM   

Jackelope

Go ahead, MOD my day

Jackelope Avatar

Career:864-486
Chips:

Posted by tallica62

Posted by Jackelope

Condit still has the talent and tenacity to become a top competitor. He's just got to adapt his gameplan and his skillset to the UFC caliber competition.

I dont think you really "adapt" to ufc caliber. it's not like he wasnt trying. You fight as hard as you can whether its UFC or PooFC

i will give him props for hangin in there after taking some nasty hits

Then how do you explain people who have turned their careers around in the UFC? Maybe we're just misunderstanding each other's choices of words here, but to me adapt means to change something in order for it to fit better.

For example- Condit has never had a problem being placed on his back. He always prefers to work for subs there and do damage off his back. In the WEC he could get away with that because there was a lack of dominant wrestlers who could neutralize his guard.

In the UFC that clearly isn't the case. So Condit has got to stop being so willing to go to his back and/or going for moves that put him in danger to get placed on his back. In other words, he has to adapt that area of his game to deal with the new threat of dominant wrestlers who are capable of neutralizing the guard. Something he got away with before won't work now.

Also- to be clear I never insinuated he wasn't trying. Let's just say that I feel pretty confident in saying that Carlos is aware of these "problems" and is doing what he can to adapt his game to them. He'll be just fine.

Last edited 9/25/09 7:52PM server time by Jackelope

Post #8   9/25/09 7:51:59PM