Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

When Stardom Surpasses Value: The Tale of Miguel Torres and Urijah Faber

Print  
Posted By Message

ThaAxeMurderer7

MMA Sensei

ThaAxeMurderer7 Avatar

Career:1,277-814
Chips:
Miguel Torres and Urijah Faber are big names in the world of MMA. They may not be champions anymore, but they were on top of the world for a long time, and now that they've been knocked off they realize they didn't make any money during their time on top. Accoding to Jonathan Snowden, Faber and Torres want more money:

Link

Post #1   9/24/09 6:08:53PM   

Loot613

MMA Regular

Loot613 Avatar

Career:1,249-863
Chips:
Wow i just thought of the greatest idea ever.... They mention the coaches should be Mike Brown and Brian Bowles.... however, if this were to come to fruitiun think of this...

A TUF series with 145 pounders from WEC, coaches are..... da ding da ding....
Miguel Torres and Urijah Faber... (noting Miguel would have to go up in weight for this next part) The obvious would be coach vs coach but hear me out... The coaches train their teams, and the two finalists from each team (points system so they dont have to fight their own team and can even lose once possibly) THEN they fight the opposing coach on the finale show, winners getting a title shot...

and im not talking about newbies im talking top contenders in the WEC, most of which if they lost they'd still get UFC contracts, i geuss thats how it is now anyways just not as much money...

Post #2   9/24/09 6:57:28PM   

Brain_Smasher

Banned

Brain_Smasher Avatar

Career:761-379
Chips:

Posted by Loot613

Wow i just thought of the greatest idea ever.... They mention the coaches should be Mike Brown and Brian Bowles.... however, if this were to come to fruitiun think of this...

A TUF series with 145 pounders from WEC, coaches are..... da ding da ding....
Miguel Torres and Urijah Faber... (noting Miguel would have to go up in weight for this next part) The obvious would be coach vs coach but hear me out... The coaches train their teams, and the two finalists from each team (points system so they dont have to fight their own team and can even lose once possibly) THEN they fight the opposing coach on the finale show, winners getting a title shot...

and im not talking about newbies im talking top contenders in the WEC, most of which if they lost they'd still get UFC contracts, i geuss thats how it is now anyways just not as much money...

So then you would end up like Pride did where all your name fighters have loses and cant be promoted proper. Then this "tournament" creates an endless suply of rematches. Tournaments are short term success'. They are fun to watch but they put a cloud over the division for atleast 2 years. Why take an entire weight class and give them all loses but 1 guy?

Post #3   9/24/09 7:46:25PM   

Sinister

BANNED

Sinister Avatar

Career:22-17
Chips:
At first, I thought WEC would stay but its obvious it can;t with recent fights. Their cards usually can only put on one fight that would be worth paying for and the rest are c or b level fighters cause the divisions are new.
By putting FW and BW in the UFC, it gives them more headliners along with legit pay for their fighters. Makes sense.

Post #4   9/24/09 7:54:13PM   

mikevolz

Standup Guy

mikevolz Avatar

Career:183-111
Camp: The Stedman Effect
Chips:
i think a lot of your guys logic is failing.

the wec isn't making money because not many people are watching, so the fighter wages are low.

ok, so the problem is not enough people are interested in watching these people fight, or enough to pay for it, or enough to bring in commercial revenue.

so why would adding them to the ufc suddenly cause more money to be made? why wouldnt they just take existing revenues from the ufc and pay wec fighters with it? it's virtually the same principal.

the problem being these divisions aren't deep enough, and they aren't on the best channel. Getting absorbed by the ufc will cause more harm than good at the moment. they need to give these divisions a little while to grow, like all of mma will, and in the meantime possibly change networks. perhaps when their tv contract with versus is up look for a chance on spike.

the main people who watch the WEC already watch and order the ufc's bringing them together would hardly bring on new revenue, only cannibalize existing.

Last edited 9/24/09 8:12PM server time by mikevolz
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #5   9/24/09 8:11:09PM   

Brain_Smasher

Banned

Brain_Smasher Avatar

Career:761-379
Chips:

Posted by mikevolz

i think a lot of your guys logic is failing.

the wec isn't making money because not many people are watching, so the fighter wages are low.

ok, so the problem is not enough people are interested in watching these people fight, or enough to pay for it, or enough to bring in commercial revenue.

so why would adding them to the ufc suddenly cause more money to be made? why wouldnt they just take existing revenues from the ufc and pay wec fighters with it? it's virtually the same principal.

the problem being these divisions aren't deep enough, and they aren't on the best channel. Getting absorbed by the ufc will cause more harm than good at the moment. they need to give these divisions a little while to grow, like all of mma will, and in the meantime possibly change networks. perhaps when their tv contract with versus is up look for a chance on spike.

the main people who watch the WEC already watch and order the ufc's bringing them together would hardly bring on new revenue, only cannibalize existing.

I agree for the most part. But where the fighters can benifit from going to the UFC is exposure. If Faber fights under the UFC banner and is exposed to the amount of people who watch a UFC rather than the few who watch the WEC. In theory he should be more popular and draw in revenue.

But the WEC should stay the same. The ONLY change that should be made si when there is a high profile WEC fight. It should be added to a UFC PPV. Any combination of Aldo/Brown/Faber/Torres/Bowles, etc. They shoudl fight in the UFC then go directly back the WEC for any normal title fight or match. Only the biggest fights make the UFC. This will give the UFC more fights to fill slots. It will add fans to those fighters which they will carry right back to the WEC. Adding the WEC outright will just water down ALL UFC cards with unknown uninteresting fights from smaller weights.

Post #6   9/24/09 8:31:05PM   

jae_1833

TTTHS

jae_1833 Avatar

Career:2,510-1,592
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
I think the FW and BW divs should be absorded completely by the UFC and the WEC should be dissolved into a farm camp. If it doesn't hapen soon, they had better do something big or I would bet they end up going bankrupt within 2 years.

Post #7   9/24/09 10:36:25PM   

warglory

Heavyweight Champ

warglory Avatar

Career:535-344
Chips:
It's called a "contract." Miguel has only seen success over the last year, and Uriah, while being popular, spent most of his popularity of the last few years in relative obscurity with most of his adulation coming from hardcores. The mainstream really doesn't know who Miguel Torres is. Do these guys probably deserve more? Yes, but they are probably riding the contracts that they initially came into the organization with. I'm sure Uriah has at least re-upped once, but it's up to his management to re-negotiate in his favor. It's the fighters and their management's responsibility to get the best offer they possibly can, any bitching about a negotiated sum of money is absurd.

Last edited 9/24/09 10:58PM server time by warglory
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #8   9/24/09 10:58:08PM   

mikevolz

Standup Guy

mikevolz Avatar

Career:183-111
Camp: The Stedman Effect
Chips:
otherwise the ufc runs the risk of oversaturation. Much like soccer or rugby, theres at least 10 games every day in a billion different leagues. yet the nfl plays for what, 24 weeks? out of the year and remains one of the most profitable sports ever. I think the next logical step for the ufc is to get on spike tv, and while the author's suggestion of doing another TUF would pique my interest as a fan, i see it much like a gina carano/cyborg santos fight, it would be the last relevant fight for way too long and not really accomplish what needs to be done.

The ufc needs to build up their big boys first, and that's what they're doing. Urijah faber may make 5x as much for one fight in strikeforce, but getting paid 50 grand for one fight and then having them fall under and getting tied up in legal battles for your contract is another. Trust me, neither torres or faber are going hungry anytime soon. Faber owns many houses and has marketed himself beautifully. it'll be a long time before i cry about urijah faber not making enough money. The problem is he's not a big enough draw.

1st step. get them a better network.

Post #9   9/25/09 3:16:10AM