Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Floyd Mayweather beats Dana White & UFC!

Print  
Posted By Message

RhythmAndStyle

MMA Sensei

RhythmAndStyle Avatar

Career:2,336-1,398
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
a very good article on the head to head PPV of UFC 103 and Mayweather/Marquez..he's not bashing mma of anything like that..just a good read that I thought I would share with ya'll..I like what he said at the end of his article "No matter which sport won, or which sport did more sales, a lot of people watched a lot of guys fight this weekend. You gotta love that."...

Link

Post #1   9/24/09 12:43:59PM   

postman

Heavyweight Champ

postman Avatar

Career:746-420
Chips:
First I didn't read the entire article, second I love both sports, but did anyone think the UFC would win this battle? At least that night? Your talking about if not the best p4p one of the best, coming from a 2 year layoff. Plus they stacked their first card in years. There where alot of good fighters on that undercard. On the flip side the UFC put Vitor vs Franklin as its main event! They didn't even have a title on the line. I don't know the number but there where quite a few on the Line for boxing.

I have a hard time beliving that if the UFC put a card on that rivled say UFC 68 (in terms of star power at that time) with names now equal to Jon Fitch, Renato Sobral, Matt Hughes, Rich Franklin, Tim Sylvia, Randy Couture they would rival that Mayweather card. Like it was said before the typical boxing card dosn't get as many buys as the typical UFC.

Also I think the average guy who dosn't watch either sport and knows little about each is going to go on name power I would like to see Mayweather vs Lesnar.

Post #2   9/24/09 1:02:06PM   

FlashyG

Heavyweight Champ

FlashyG Avatar

Career:2,177-1,222
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
I don't think its fair to compare them head to head anyways.

The UFC runs 12-15 shows a year while boxing has maybe 4 or 5 comparable cards.

The UFC card still managed to do better than their card at the same time last year, going head to head with a boxing superfight, with no title fight, in the middle of a recession.

I don't know many people who paid for either card but I know a ton of people who watched the UFC in bars. I can't name a single bar in my area that showed the Mayweather fight. That has to mean a lot of boxing fans were forced to shell out the $50 adding to their numbers while the UFC fans packed into bars would go uncounted.

Post #3   9/24/09 1:22:59PM   

MrGreeny

MMA Regular

MrGreeny Avatar

Career:511-324
Camp: TheAxeMurdererz
Chips:
In his latest interview http://www.spike.com/blog/podcast-inside/87207 Dana talked a lot about media exposure, UFC in mainstream etc.
He said, that all the media was covering yhe Mayweather fight.

And the author of this article said it great at the end:

Truth be told, boxing isn’t dead and it owes a big high five to the UFC for forcing it to get back on track. No matter which sport won, or which sport did more sales, a lot of people watched a lot of guys fight this weekend. You gotta love that.

Last week was GREAT

Post #4   9/24/09 2:28:09PM   

prozacnation1978

Heavyweight Champ

prozacnation1978 Avatar

Career:2,339-1,246
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
with fairnest to the ufc boxing only does like 4 cards a year so obvious it was gonna go over a mil
but dana did eat his own words, i would rather watch amateur mma matches on tv than boxing pay per view

Post #5   9/24/09 3:53:50PM