Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Dana White Rips Strikeforce, Showtime for Signing Herschel Walker

Print  
Posted By Message

emfleek

FA-Q

emfleek Avatar

Career:2,262-1,196
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
UFC President Dana White says he's outraged that Strikeforce has signed former football star Herschel Walker to make his MMA debut at age 47, and he ripped Strikeforce's TV partner, Showtime, for engaging in a gimmick that makes the sport look bad.

"I think it's ridiculous," White told Mike Chiappetta on the Inside The Ultimate Fighter podcast. "People think we're anti-competition? We're anti-dumb competition. Doing stupid things like this, putting a 50-year-old guy in the Octagon for the first time, and then going out there putting out press releases like it's a big deal because you signed a 50-year-old Herschel Walker? Are you serious?"

STORY

Post #1   9/24/09 11:12:53AM   

Nightmare27

In Full Mount

Nightmare27 Avatar

Career:570-410
Camp: Strikers Inc.
Chips:
Im pretty sure that Dana is the only one who is anti competition. It doesnt matter what it is he always has something negative to say about any move that a rival promotion makes. If Herschel gets a few wins he will probably try to sign him just like Kimbo.

Post #2   9/24/09 11:19:30AM   

emfleek

FA-Q

emfleek Avatar

Chips:

Posted by Nightmare27

Im pretty sure that Dana is the only one who is anti competition. It doesnt matter what it is he always has something negative to say about any move that a rival promotion makes. If Herschel gets a few wins he will probably try to sign him just like Kimbo.

Any successful businessman will protect/defend his product. It's part of his job to make the other companies look like crap and to hype his company up.

Last edited 9/24/09 11:21AM server time by emfleek
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #3   9/24/09 11:21:10AM   

Nightmare27

In Full Mount

Nightmare27 Avatar

Career:570-410
Camp: Strikers Inc.
Chips:
While I agree that it is his job to hype up his company and defend/protect his company but talking crap about every other promotion makes him look like an ass. I guess that I used to get a kick out of it but it's just getting old to me.

Post #4   9/24/09 11:31:28AM   

emfleek

FA-Q

emfleek Avatar

Chips:

Posted by Nightmare27

While I agree that it is his job to hype up his company and defend/protect his company but talking crap about every other promotion makes him look like an ass. I guess that I used to get a kick out of it but it's just getting old to me.

It is what it is, though. For every action, there's a reaction. In this case, Strikeforce has signed a guy with no MMA experience and then issued a press release like they had just signed Rocky Balboa. If I were in Dana's shoes, my reaction would be to laugh hysterically. He chose to belittle them.

Different strokes for different folks!

Last edited 9/24/09 11:39AM server time by emfleek
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #5   9/24/09 11:38:52AM   

kopower

Heavyweight Champ

kopower Avatar

Career:2,232-1,201
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:

Posted by Nightmare27

I agree. Herschel Walker's performance will speak loudly enough. Dana has always been outspoken so this is nothing new but everything doesn't deserve a public ripping

What you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in the playground is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no props, and may the mods have mercy on your soul.

Post #6   9/24/09 12:10:30PM   

Giant_Ochai

BANNED

Career:433-278
Chips:

Posted by Nightmare27

It's been old to me since 2002.

Post #7   9/24/09 12:11:33PM   

prozacnation1978

Heavyweight Champ

prozacnation1978 Avatar

Career:2,352-1,258
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
i don't know why dana cares??
he said same thing about kimbo now he has him giving him ratings he would never get

Post #8   9/24/09 3:59:29PM   

emfleek

FA-Q

emfleek Avatar

Chips:

Posted by prozacnation1978

i don't know why dana cares??

He's answering a question when it's asked. I doubt he loses sleep because he cares so much.

Post #9   9/24/09 4:03:38PM