Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Matt Hughes Has No Interest In Fighting A "Kid" Like Josh Koscheck

Print  
  Page 2 of 3     1     2     3  
Posted By Message

Jesse_Canadian_MMA

Belt Contender

Jesse_Canadian_MMA Avatar

Career:1,772-1,096
Camp: Canadian Fight Club
Chips:
Josh by 1st rd KO for sure but I think he woulda picked Matt Serra if Serra one that fight, Hughes showed he is still a challenge of sorts and a credible win
Definitely not where he was at before but still looks good on the resume I suppose

Post #16   9/23/09 5:44:21PM   

CwB

MMA Sensei

CwB Avatar

Career:221-151
Chips:

Posted by bjj1605

I don't doubt Kos would destroy hughes at this point but thats exactly why this is such a cowardly statement. Rather than calling out some one he's lost to (Thiago Alves, Paulo Thiago, George St. Pierre) or some one relevant in the division (Mike Swick, Jon Fitch, Anthony Johnson) he's picking on older past-their prime fighters with big names.

Leave Frank Trigg and Matt Hughes alone!!!!

If he wants to be a contender or a champion he needs to put aside his fears of loosing, forget about not wanting to fight friends, and call out someone who poses a challenge for him.

I completely agree.

lets see hughes fight trigg one last time and lets see koscheck fight condit or someone who still has a future in this sport

Post #17   9/23/09 5:50:13PM   

tallica62

MMA Sensei

tallica62 Avatar

Career:1,937-1,199
Camp: Playground Bullies
Chips:
kos is better...better wrestler and hits harder... matt hughes imo is a part of the last dying generation of mma fighters...his sands of time are running thin

Post #18   9/23/09 6:02:07PM   

crushedbacon

In Full Mount

crushedbacon Avatar

Career:868-562
Camp: West Coast Canada
Chips:
I find Koscheck calling me out kind of interesting and I actually don’t know why he is doing that. I was used to kids doing this when I was the champ, but as you know I don’t have the belt now and I’m puzzled as to why Koscheck wants to fight me and not the champion in the weight class. I have no interest in fighting Koscheck and, as he was showing everybody, he’s just a kid.

He's just a kid? I see a 31 year old man who has shown he'll fight anybody. Not only that he'll fight on short notice, as a replacement or dam near no notice....LOL. I see a guy who's looking for marquee fights as he probably realizes he is in the prime of his career......as for Hughes being puzzled? LOL...WTF, I'm pretty sure after Kos said he'd like a fight with Hughes the next words out of his mouth were....'or even a better fight, against GSP'....so WTF is Hughes talking about? Hughes is washed up, one dimensional and if he's planning on continuing fighting in the UFC, he's in for a lot of ass whippings.

Post #19   9/23/09 6:22:32PM   

StorminYourman

Belt Contender

StorminYourman Avatar

Career:1,106-639
Chips:
I think this would be a good fight.
Josh is a top WW and respectably so is Hughes.
Hughes saying stuff like this comes off to the fans as ducking which hurts his already low public persona.

Post #20   9/23/09 6:30:42PM   

crushedbacon

In Full Mount

crushedbacon Avatar

Career:868-562
Camp: West Coast Canada
Chips:

Posted by CwB

Posted by bjj1605

I don't doubt Kos would destroy hughes at this point but thats exactly why this is such a cowardly statement. Rather than calling out some one he's lost to (Thiago Alves, Paulo Thiago, George St. Pierre) or some one relevant in the division (Mike Swick, Jon Fitch, Anthony Johnson) he's picking on older past-their prime fighters with big names.

Leave Frank Trigg and Matt Hughes alone!!!!

If he wants to be a contender or a champion he needs to put aside his fears of loosing, forget about not wanting to fight friends, and call out someone who poses a challenge for him.

I completely agree.

lets see hughes fight trigg one last time and lets see koscheck fight condit or someone who still has a future in this sport

Koscheck wants to fight Hughes so he can get on a PPV co-main event or possibly a top 3 fight on PPV.....fighting Condit isn't gonna do that for him, he's saying this **** cuz he's done on UFN's and under cards..... He's paid his dues.....Hughes vs Trigg 3?....LOL not in the UFC! I'd like to see them market that....I want to see Hughes keep fighting top guys if he's in the UFC, he got his sympathy fight against Serra....now its put up or shut up

Post #21   9/23/09 6:44:22PM   

Sinister

BANNED

Sinister Avatar

Career:22-17
Chips:
Kos wants to beat a bunch of guys out of their prime to build up his name. Not a bad idea after his KO lose.

Post #22   9/23/09 7:38:14PM   

gabe531

Standup Guy

gabe531 Avatar

Career:1,238-669
Chips:
matt hughes will only fight big names in the sport, he is a legend and i dont see the ufc using him as a gatekeeper. who does he want to fight? jon goulet? kos knows he has to climb his way back up the ladder and i think hughes would be a good next fight after trigg. i think alot of people thought of kos as a matt hughes type, so it would be old vs new style of fight with the new winning imo. kos,swick and fitch dont want to fight each other which kinda sucks but right now thats not a problem because there are alot of elite WW's that they havent faced, including hughes.

Post #23   9/23/09 7:56:47PM   

Rush

Laying down the beats

Rush Avatar

Career:759-539
Chips:
A lot of people are focusing on Hughes calling Josha kid. So what? I think the real question to ask is what would Koscheck get from fighting Hughes?

If he won, it's nothing new considering Hughes' recent record. If he loses, he takes another big step down the ladder.

If Koscheck was truely confident he would ask for a rematch with Alves or GSP, but I get the sense that he feels he is not ready for them.

Post #24   9/23/09 8:05:30PM   

scooter19820

Learning to Sprawl

scooter19820 Avatar

Career:557-359
Camp: Ricardo Arona's Skull
Chips:
I saw the press conference, and granite this is a few days ago now, it seems to me that Kos did say he wanted to fight GSP. He said he thinks he should be next. People keep saying, why is he calling out Hughes and not GSP or Alves. He did say he wanted to fight GSP. Hughes was just another option if he doesn't get that fight which he probably knows he won't seeing as he lost to Paulo not that long ago.

Post #25   9/23/09 9:46:34PM   

EliasG

In Full Mount

EliasG Avatar

Career:222-176
Chips:
Kos would win. Don't know why Hughes wouldn't want to fight him other than its not a great fight for him coming back after time off.

That said, I don't think Kos is scared either. He's lost some fights but he has also taken fights on no notice and gone after it.

Post #26   9/23/09 11:12:03PM   

higdon10

MMA Sensei

higdon10 Avatar

Career:517-342
Chips:
Koscheck would dominate Hughes.

Post #27   9/23/09 11:28:10PM   

prozacnation1978

Heavyweight Champ

prozacnation1978 Avatar

Career:2,291-1,224
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
hughes wants trigg, hallman and karo
never seen hughes duck anyone before,
he needs to fight swick, condit, kos, and fitch's
that won't be easy

Post #28   9/24/09 2:07:28AM   

lohmann

A Black Belt in Jiu-Jitsu

lohmann Avatar

Career:1,603-874
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by Rush

A lot of people are focusing on Hughes calling Josha kid. So what? I think the real question to ask is what would Koscheck get from fighting Hughes?

If he won, it's nothing new considering Hughes' recent record. If he loses, he takes another big step down the ladder.

If Koscheck was truely confident he would ask for a rematch with Alves or GSP, but I get the sense that he feels he is not ready for them.

He gets a high-profile win over a established veteran that still draws solid interest. The UFC seems to be keeping Koscheck and Fitch away from future title contenders like Kampmann, Hardy, Kim, Condit, etc. because they would defeat a lot, if not all, of of them and instead has relegated the two to fighting people that will likely never get a crack at Georges St. Pierre (Yoshida, Trigg, Paulo Thiago, Gono, Almeida). A high-profile victory over former champion Matt Hughes seems to be Koscheck's best route to a rematch with GSP.

Hughes can't takedown Koscheck, so I don't see him escaping that fight without being knocked unconscious.

Post #29   9/24/09 2:54:39AM   

DuncanFan819

MMA Regular

Career:1,201-703
Chips:
Koscheck would most likely dominate Hughes, but why call out somebody who doesn't do anything for your title chances? Despite the losses to Paulo Thiago and Alves, we know Koscheck is a top 5 contender. Hughes is still top 10 in the division, but Koscheck should be fighting someone higher up the ladder than Hughes in his next fight.

Post #30   9/24/09 4:36:23AM   

Page 2 of 3     1     2     3