Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Huerta wants to fight!

Print  
Posted By Message

StorminYourman

Belt Contender

StorminYourman Avatar

Career:1,106-639
Chips:
Roger Huerta said he’s found the will to fight again.

Huerta, who passed on a five-fight renewal contract with the UFC last January to pursue a second career in acting, said his split-decision loss to Gray Maynard last Wednesday has re-ignited his competitive fire.

“I think it could have gone either way and it’s my fault I let it go to the judges and I can’t go out like that,” Huerta told Sherdog.com Sunday. “I can’t go out with two losses in a row. I don’t think I’m going to call it quits anytime soon.”

link

Good for him.I would prop him if he was on this site!

Post #1   9/23/09 12:58:29AM   

mrsmiley

Heavyweight Champ

mrsmiley Avatar

Career:1,503-878
Camp: Nutthuggers Suck
Chips:
LOL.

I guess Holllywood doesn't have room for him and Rampage both.

Post #2   9/23/09 6:56:58AM   

State_Champ

MMA Sensei

State_Champ Avatar

Career:1,474-877
Camp: The Evil Empire
Chips:
Much respect to Huerta if does fight again, and good luck with acting if he doesn't.
That guy is a warrior and I look forward to seeing him in the cage rather than the movie screen but I hope he is successful in whatever he does..

Post #3   9/23/09 7:15:25AM   

emfleek

FA-Q

emfleek Avatar

Career:2,310-1,223
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
This is good news for everyone. Roger brings it EVERY TIME he's in the octagon. I'd like to see him fight every 3 months, at least. The guy is only 26 years old!

Post #4   9/23/09 8:24:41AM   

prozacnation1978

Heavyweight Champ

prozacnation1978 Avatar

Career:2,478-1,317
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
i hope he stays with the ufc,

Post #5   9/23/09 8:55:00AM   

Jackelope

Go ahead, MOD my day

Jackelope Avatar

Career:864-486
Chips:
Well he screwed up then. He should have taken the contract renewal when he only had one loss, not when he had 2 in a row. He lost some bargaining power there. Still, good to have him around as long as he keeps bringing it!

Post #6   9/23/09 9:08:54AM   

isk

In Full Mount

isk Avatar

Career:-
Chips:
Yeah, I was really impressed by Huerta's last fight. I agree that a couple changes could've made the difference.

The first one is obvious - stop Maynard's takedown attempts in the 3rd. His TD defense in the sprawl and clinch were impressive in the first 2 rounds. All credit to Maynard for switching it up at the right time and doing what he needed to do to secure the win, but I was kinda disappointed by the move (more on that later).

The second is that Huerta didn't go into super saiyan mode towards the end (or at any time). He's done it in previous fights (most recently vs. Clay Guida) to where guys like me wonder where it was in the Florian and Maynard fights. Maybe he was too distracted by his business outside of the cage. Maybe he realized or was coached to think he was fighting two smart, technically-sound opponents who'd capitalize on too much aggression. Who knows.

Either way, Huerta showed a fantastic chin along with tremendous heart during the kimura attempt. And his striking looked much better than before, a lot more refined. A year off is a long time but it showed that even training part-time the guy has improved noticeably.

I think if he's truly rediscovered his passion he'll be a monster at LW. That could give him the motivation to make his takedown defense incredible, to round out his wrestling and grappling, and to make his striking among the best in the division. He's certainly got the durability to hang with anyone, and as much as Iove fighters like Franklin and Arlovski you need to be able to take some punches in this industry to be on top now.

As for Maynard and my disappointment with his 3rd round takedowns, I have a love for the ground game and I have nothing but respect for him overall. He also did a good job in setting up that deep kimura. His post-fight comments echoed Matt Hughes' following the Royce Gracie match, that something was going to have to break for the fight to be finished with that armbar. That said, I was as surprised as Huerta with the takedown and felt it was an unsatisfying end to a good slugfest. Maynard's striking has gotten much better as well, and his ground game seems to be geared overly towards control and not enough in damage.

I think if he really wants to make a run at the title he'll need to be a meaner threat on the ground. He may be able to LnP vs Florian or even work a power-based sub like a kimura, but I doubt he has the strength -and= technique to outgrapple BJ Penn. While Maynard's a big 155er I just don't think he can come in with the same strat as GSP and expect to win.

Whew, that was kinda rambly.

Post #7   9/23/09 12:51:04PM