Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Rampage says he is done fighting

Print  
  Page 2 of 4     1     2     3     4  
Posted By Message

mentalcase

MMA Expert/Genius/God

mentalcase Avatar

Career:1,559-801
Chips:
hes not retiring this is just some bullshit, hes not a good actor hes not gonna make jack sh it acting the moneys in what hes good at- fighting he will be back

Post #16   9/22/09 10:24:19PM   

bjj1605

Heavyweight Champ

bjj1605 Avatar

Career:1,598-933
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:

First of shut the *expletive* up Rampage. Stop crying and get back to fighting. You are not an actor. Even if you do make a living doing that its only because of the UFC's hype than any one knows who you are.

You don't seem loyal. You seem ungrateful. IMO if he even tries this the UFC should sue his pants of for lost revenue. He is breaking a contract to fight rashad. After the hype of TUF 10 this will be a big hit. The UFC is entitled to damages.

You'll never take the belt again anyway. Machida would tool you. If you want to retire that's your business, but the reasons you gave are bogus.

Post #17   9/22/09 10:37:37PM   

telnights

MODesty

telnights Avatar

Career:1,442-795
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
He makes it sound like poor me I have it so tough. Yeah he has it so tough . Going from making a few thousand a fight to making millions per fight and the UFC taking you from an unknown to being very well known. Yeah I can see how he did more for the UFC. You know the UFC jumps in and bails out all their fighters when they are in huge legal trouble and have seamed to have gone crazy. This sounds more like Hollywood BS if you ask me. Does anyone remember all the BS that came out of Randy when he was doing movies. Now that's not to say Dana is always truthful either but I don't expect him to be as a promoter. But for the most part Dana is straight forward and when he does BS its mainly to down talk fighters outside the UFC or competing promotions.

I wish him all the best if this is really what he wants to do but lets be real here. Does Rampage really think he has big future in acting. He is playing BA in a remake of show that wasn't that good to start with, at most he will be a B level actor. Name one remake of 80s TV show that has turned out good or even done well in the box office. You cant because none of them do because it was the 80s. I really think Dana is right. I think right now Rampage has to many YES men and Hollywood agent type people around him and he is buying in to their BS. Once this movie is done I think reality will start to set in for Rampage. Hollywood will decide not to do another one and no one will want Rampage for a major roll and the hard truth will set in and he will come begging to the UFC to start fighting again. Whats really sad is Rampage is right now at his peak and when the truth does finally set in it maybe to late for him to be any real impact at LHW.

Post #18   9/22/09 10:38:12PM   

Mr_Dead_Sexy

MMA Regular

Mr_Dead_Sexy Avatar

Career:2,598-1,465
Camp: THE NATION OF DOMINATION
Chips:
And really, this is hurting his reputation even more as a fighter, and adding fuel to the fire that he was ducking Machida/Rashad. There are all kinds of fights for him at 205 that he's walking away from. Rashad, obviously, Machida, Shogun, Vera, Couture, but he's just walking away from all that. Hard to feel sorry for him. I'm just hoping there isn't something wrong mentally with him and we have another incident like before. Which the UFC took VERY good care of him during, mind you.

Post #19   9/22/09 10:51:20PM   

mikevolz

Standup Guy

mikevolz Avatar

Career:183-111
Camp: The Stedman Effect
Chips:

Posted by Aether

Whether the UFC jerked him around or not, to say that he's done more for them than they have for him is ridiculous.

Do you think that you would ever have had an acting career without the UFC's promotion machine in the first place? Almost definitely not. No one knew who Rampage was before he arrived in the UFC except hardcore fans. The UFC has done far more for Rampage than he has for them, the UFC would be in exactly the same position as they are now if Rampage had never signed with them.

I'm a Rampage fan, but to walk away from obligations in the middle of a contract is highly unprofessional. Dana can be childish, but he had a right to be pissed off. I really doubt that Rampage is retiring, I think he's just angry and complaining. I guess we'll see.

to play devil's advocate, rampage did do a lot for the ufc.

Rampage came along RIGHT at the cusp of the ufc breaking into big time (don't know if you recall but they didn't have too many features on espn before rampage) he was one of the first big time fights hyped on espn, and mainstream media (vs chuck) and helped them push over the cusp of that, he was the biggest mma star after chuck and before brock. He did do a lot for the ufc, he was their major marketable fighter.

just saying, its a two way street brother.

Post #20   9/22/09 10:52:43PM   

higdon10

MMA Sensei

higdon10 Avatar

Career:517-342
Chips:
He will be back. If he wants to get paid he will fight.

Post #21   9/22/09 10:53:25PM   

bojangalz

The Original Playground Bully

bojangalz Avatar

Career:1,554-840
Chips:
*yawn*

Post #22   9/22/09 11:13:07PM   

bigbubbano23

MMA Sensei

bigbubbano23 Avatar

Career:317-197
Camp: Xtreme Couture
Chips:

Posted by Copenhagen

One big question is:
What of the all ready aired TUF season filled with footage hyping/promising fans this fight?
Surely Zuffa and Spike TV will get penetrated in this situation.

i could see the ufc doing what they did to randy in this situation

Post #23   9/22/09 11:13:16PM   

mikevolz

Standup Guy

mikevolz Avatar

Career:183-111
Camp: The Stedman Effect
Chips:
randy wanted to fight again, and was champion. for a different organization.

rampage is neither of those things.

Post #24   9/22/09 11:15:19PM   

gartface

Heavyweight Champ

gartface Avatar

Career:1,406-898
Camp: Hand Grenade Hillbillies
Chips:

Posted by hotrodttt

He'll be back to fighting in no time, it's not like he's the next Denzel. If any of you have seen Midnight Meat Train you now what I'm talking about. He sucks at acting lol

Life is like a box of chocolates right?

Post #25   9/22/09 11:20:44PM   

mrhighway9

Learning to Sprawl

mrhighway9 Avatar

Career:47-27
Camp: Grande Cajones Fight Camp
Chips:
i'm a big quinton fan so i'll try to not be too opinionated on the subject.and it really upsets me that he's considering leaving.however i do agree i don't think its right for dana to publicly bash rampage like this.it should be a behind closed doors situation,you don't need to say he's pussying out to the whole world.and rampage didn't say he would fight rashad,he asked if it could be postponed.
w/ tuf 10 hyped to be the biggest season,and quinton being in the ateam movie it's only going to create more publicity for the fight.i can't believe that it's that big of a deal to push back a fight.i'm sure fans would be just as interested in the fight if it took a few months afterwards especially w/ the ateam movie that can draw in an even bigger crowd.
and as far as who's right one who's done the most for eachother i don't believe anyone is right in this matter.the ufc has helped him out financially and when he had his breakdown.but quinton has taken all the bigs fights that they asked him to and has drawn in many fans.and that's how i see it w/ any other argument."yeah your paying me but i'm the one that put's my body at risk" .when a problem like this comes along it needs to be worked out and hopefully it does cause i wanna see rampage stick around.

Post #26   9/22/09 11:21:15PM   

loonytnt

MMA Sensei

loonytnt Avatar

Career:299-241
Camp: Diaz Fan Club
Chips:
Like it matters anyway, he just wanted to push his fights back.. not like you were going to see if fight soon anyway. give him a year when he is out of money you will see him fighting again

Post #27   9/22/09 11:27:51PM   

hotrodttt

Ridin the MMA WW since 02 !

hotrodttt Avatar

Career:2,670-1,435
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:

Posted by gartface

Posted by hotrodttt

He'll be back to fighting in no time, it's not like he's the next Denzel. If any of you have seen Midnight Meat Train you now what I'm talking about. He sucks at acting lol

Life is like a box of chocolates right?

Yeah

Post #28   9/22/09 11:27:52PM   

Brain_Smasher

Banned

Brain_Smasher Avatar

Career:761-379
Chips:
I guess QJ forgets that it was Dana who showed up to post bail to get his ass out of jail when he acted stupid last time.

To the person who said QJ was the first to get mainstream attention. No he wasnt. Ken vs Tito was on ESPN and FSNs BDSSP. As was Chuck vs Tito, Randy vs Chuck, Tito vs Randy among others. You also have to realize that QJ was a noone at that time. The UFC paid good money to get those shows to hype his fight. THe mainstream press it got was 100% due to Chuck. He was the big star then not QJ.

IMO QJ hasnt lived up to the hype. I felt he would be a huge star. But his best fights were when he just got in the UFC and wasnt known. Now he has a name he has struggled vs Forrest and Jardine. He hasnt come through in the big main event to make the most of his popularity. He lost to Forrest and has yet to face Evans, Machida or the other big names. He hasnt won a blockbuster fight to make the most of his popularity.

IMO i think his"retirement" is something he was advised to do to keep Dana White off his back until the movie is done. As it was Dana was going back and forth with him and the media trying to talk him out of it. If he quits Dana has no control over him. He can avoid his calls. Then after the movie he can "patch things up" after he decides he wants to fight again.

The UFC cant sue him because he hasnt breached any agreement. He had never signed on to fight anyone. The bout wasnt yet signed. He has a contract to fight in the UFC but courts will not, can not, force anyone to fight against their will. You can retire anytime you want.

Post #29   9/22/09 11:32:12PM   

grappler0000

MODular Approach

grappler0000 Avatar

Career:2,952-1,623
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by mikevolz

Posted by Aether

Whether the UFC jerked him around or not, to say that he's done more for them than they have for him is ridiculous.

Do you think that you would ever have had an acting career without the UFC's promotion machine in the first place? Almost definitely not. No one knew who Rampage was before he arrived in the UFC except hardcore fans. The UFC has done far more for Rampage than he has for them, the UFC would be in exactly the same position as they are now if Rampage had never signed with them.

I'm a Rampage fan, but to walk away from obligations in the middle of a contract is highly unprofessional. Dana can be childish, but he had a right to be pissed off. I really doubt that Rampage is retiring, I think he's just angry and complaining. I guess we'll see.

to play devil's advocate, rampage did do a lot for the ufc.

Rampage came along RIGHT at the cusp of the ufc breaking into big time (don't know if you recall but they didn't have too many features on espn before rampage) he was one of the first big time fights hyped on espn, and mainstream media (vs chuck) and helped them push over the cusp of that, he was the biggest mma star after chuck and before brock. He did do a lot for the ufc, he was their major marketable fighter.

just saying, its a two way street brother.

Actually, he got most of the coverage that he did because he KO'd Chuck...which was big news to casual fans. There was an article a while back that revealed that Rampage was not as big of a draw on PPV as expected. Essentially, Rampage pulled in similar numbers at UFC 96 that Franklin does on the European cards...which usually get much worse numbers than cards in the states. The UFC invested in him and I believe in time, it would happen, but he was not nearly the star that most would expect. Randy, Brock, GSP, Penn, Forrest, Machida, and Chuck all bring in better numbers than him. He is a star, but far from the biggest that the UFC has.

Post #30   9/22/09 11:33:39PM   

Page 2 of 4     1     2     3     4