Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Tyson Griffin fine with waiting on teammate, but he'll fight Gray Maynard, too

Print  
Posted By Message

ThaAxeMurderer7

MMA Sensei

ThaAxeMurderer7 Avatar

Career:1,277-814
Chips:
After an impressive win over Hermes Franca at this past Saturday's UFC 103 event in Dallas, Xtreme Couture lightweight Tyson Griffin (14-2 MMA, 7-2 UFC) is once again being discussed in the always-deep lightweight title picture.

While that's good news for Griffin, the bad news is that his teammate, Gray Maynard, also had an impressive performance this past week at UFC Fight Night 19 on Wednesday.

Following his win on Saturday night, Griffin said he was just fine letting Maynard get first crack at the UFC's lightweight belt. But Griffin also said he's not afraid to face his training partner if necessary.

Link

Post #1   9/22/09 7:37:00PM   

State_Champ

MMA Sensei

State_Champ Avatar

Career:1,492-882
Camp: The Evil Empire
Chips:
Good!
Tyson just earned major respect from me.

Post #2   9/22/09 7:42:52PM   

hotrodttt

Ridin the MMA WW since 02 !

hotrodttt Avatar

Career:2,639-1,411
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
I was impressed with both of them but it was so amazing to see Maynard get that hammerlock on Huerta, I have never seen him attempted any submission of great difficulty so it shows how much he is improving.

Post #3   9/22/09 7:47:42PM   

prozacnation1978

Heavyweight Champ

prozacnation1978 Avatar

Career:2,530-1,341
Chips:
dana make it happen
make a example out of them both, i hope they book it if maynard wins he gets a title shot

Post #4   9/22/09 7:57:01PM   

Chuteboxer

Standup Guy

Chuteboxer Avatar

Career:297-176
Camp: The Grappling Academy
Chips:
This is why I do like guys like Griffin and Maynard. They'll fight anyone, even their teammates. That's a real fighter for you right there.

Post #5   9/22/09 9:28:33PM   

bjj1605

Heavyweight Champ

bjj1605 Avatar

Career:1,566-910
Chips:
Thank god some one is a real fighter!!! I can't stand all the "he's my friend, we have a pact" bs. You get paid to fight and it's all business. Suck it up boys. I would fight my brother, my father, or my best friend in a heart beat for a UFC title. And we'd go drinking later regardless of the outcome.

Post #6   9/22/09 10:39:33PM   

higdon10

MMA Sensei

higdon10 Avatar

Career:517-342
Chips:
Griffin just moved up a notch in my book.

Post #7   9/22/09 10:57:35PM   

jae_1833

TTTHS

jae_1833 Avatar

Career:2,687-1,701
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
It's nothing personal just business. Their business is fighting. Great attitude for the fans. Besides if you end up fighting a team mate then what should happens is that 1 or both of you train elsewhere (which diversity is always good) until after the fight. Both men could end up learning a whole lot about themselves, each other and fighting in general.

God I hope Maynard has the same attitude!

Post #8   9/22/09 11:36:48PM   

cj_striker

MMA Regular

cj_striker Avatar

Career:341-252
Camp: Crucible Fighting Systems
Chips:
I already respected Tyson a lot, but I respect him even more now. Because even though Jon Fitch is my second favorite fighter it pisses me off that he won't fight Swick and Kos (because Swick vs. Fitch, Kos vs. Fitch, or Swick vs. Kos would all be great fights). And Anderson not fighting Machida, what a joke that would most likely be the most anticipated fight in MMA history, outside of Fedor fighting Brock or GSP fighting Silva. As has already been stated fighting in MMA is a business, it shouldn't be personal. If teammates are both at the top in title contention they should be made to fight one another and let the best man win, then embrace each other after the fight and let that be that (go out and party together that night). Anyone who competes in professional sports should not be there if their goal is not to be the best in the world at what they do and if that means competing against your best friend or even your family members well then thats what you have to do. Just imagine how sucky womens tennis would be if the Williams sister decided they would never play each other or just because Roger Federer respects Nadal so much he won't play against him (like how Machida and Silva are doing).
And in saying all that I do understand it would be difficult to compete against a close friend, especially when by competing against him you have to punch him in the face repeatedly and possibly knock him unconscious. But when you are a professional athlete you have obligations to the organizations you compete in, your fans and yourself to compete to be the best and sometimes in becoming the best you might have to crush a close friend's dream of becoming the best, but so be it.
War to the guys who have it in them to crush a friend's dream of being the best by competing against them and defeating them.

Post #9   9/23/09 10:06:52AM